G&G L85 reveiw

Tank

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm

1-the broken pistons that have so far been recorded where to the owners admision because they had not stripped them correctly !

2- awkward battery solutions ? they take minis fine like M4,MP5,P90 etc etc etc the only time its awkward is if you want a larger battery the same problem you have with all of the above !

3- unique gearbox parts - nothing like the unique parts on the Star version or a SR25,PSG1,M14,Thompson (to extent like any V6 gun)

so aside from the blowback and the self confessed ,self damage on 2 pistons of how many guns ? the problems are the unique desin of the gearbox which is no differant to TM releasing the V6 or Star releasing the L85-A2

and the fact that you can use a large battery straight out of the box (like most popular AEGs . In fact at least you can get a custom large battery to fit as that is not possible with most guns that take a small battery normally

'aside from the blowback' once again you just seem to disregard the problem because it MIGHT be fixed at some point in the FUTURE. fact is, it's a serious design fault, and it won't just go away because you ignore it. can you see where i'm coming from now? i posted to try and save some noobs from buying an unreliable, untested gun, and then getting disillusioned when it breaks on them, remember, what might be a simple fix for us experienced guys, could be an impossible task for a noob. i didn't post to get into a fight, which is quite rare for me, but i didn't.

SS

edit: i may not have any hands on experience, but i have read this entire thread, which does contain a lot of good information, which i then drew a conclusion from, nothing wrong with that in my book, all i said was that it has problems, which it does, not that 'this gun is ######'.

There are several people on this thread who are refusing to see what is right in front of them, just because it suits them. i can just imagine a press release for this gun.

'Oh G&G, what a fantastic gun you've made! is it really true that it's the best technological breakthrough since fire?'

Speaking as the happy owner of a G&G L85 which I have found to be utterly reliable I feel I have to say.... I agree with you completely.

Whenever a gun comes out you'll find some people who are rabidly partisan about it, one way the other.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you try to be objective and honest about a gun you end up upsetting people who like it AND people who don't.

I agree with your POV completely.

The gun, basically, is fundamentally a great product.

However, I reckon they've stuffed wayyy too much cleverness into it. The blowback is cute but pointless. The PSG1 gear cycling is sort of useful, sort of, but not worth the effort IMO.

Let's face it, TM have forgotten more about making AEGs than G&G know. If TM aren't using PSG1 cycling in their other AEGs there must be a reason. There is. It's cos it causes misfires every time you switch from auto to semi.

The gears are unique. I don't know if G&G tried to fit TM gears first and found that they siumply wouldn't fit. I hope so because the alternative is that they simply decided to make the gun non-standard for no reason.

On the bright side, if you need to buy new gears, I guess it doesn't matter if you have to buy TM gears or G&G gears, so long as they're available.

Regarding the disposable hook, there is only one solution to the problem: REMOVE IT.

I honestly can't see how the stuff about fitting polycarbonatre sheets can work. You CAN'T put a sheet of polycarbonate under the blowback follower. If you did then the piston couldn't touch it!

The best way to make a "proper" blowback system for an AEG would be a rod through the centre of the piston, exiting the back of the gearbox and hooking up to the fake bolt from there.

No AEG is perfect and rabidly proclaiming one to be perfect simply erodes the real credibility of the product.

as i said your "problem" of the blowback stems from the fact that G+G designed the gun to break at the hook rather than the piston so this is not a design fault as much as a feature ! the only fault is the lack of protective plate over the gearbox which is being rectified and can easily be done by the owner with out going into the gun !

so where are these other problems ?

I just got mine, caouold someone PM me on how to disable the blowback? i found the hook, do i need to remove it entirely or something?

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vince

If you do that, the blowback follower will be flopping around in the gearbox.

You need to remove the allen screw visible at the top rear of the gearbox, slide the follower back and lift it out then replace the screw.

can we end this now, stealthbomber actually managed to put my POV across better than i did. you say the blowback problem can be fixed, but most noobs would be terrified to even open up their gun to disconnect the blowback. all i actually said is that the gun has flaws, and that people should (in my opinion) wait for them to be sorted by G&G rather than doing it themselves. my peev with you was that you seemed to be seeing the blowback as not a problem because you could deal with it, but others can't, making it a big problem.

SS

oh and steath bomber i never claim any gun to be perfect ! so dont try that one :P

there is no such thing the same way i have NEVER advised a noob to get one and nor would i as they are just not capable of looking after anything

i will happily eat humble pie when someone shows me where is said either of these things (in fact i dont think anyone has said either of these things)

I am just mearly stating that the gun itself has NO mechanical flaws in the way it works from the (ie it does exactly as it is desined to do) if you do not like the desing features then dont buy it !

the same way i will never buy a P90 (not because it is mechanically faulty i juast do not like the design features)

yes this dis assembling thing ? push out the 1 pin and lift upper TMH off ! much less than required to even clean most AEGs and the instructions show you very clearly in English  how to do it

Absolutely.

The one thing I HATE about airsoft guns is non-functional controls. The G&G L85 scores in my book for having no dummy controls.

I also like guns which work in a practical manner, rather than being a bunch of bits forced into a gun-shaped shell.

The G&G L85 scores here too. The way the inner barrel fits into the gun and then the way the gearbox fits together is a work of art.

You can field-strip this gun as if it was a real one.

TBH, even if the gun had "problems" the above features would be enough to convince me to buy this gun.

I honestly don't think I'll ever buy another "normal" AEG ever again. I'd simply rather spend $400 for something interesting rather than $250 for something which is exactly the same as 100 other guns under the skin.

It occurs to me I should get around to posting some pic's of mine. Stay tuned. :)

More...

Remove pin next to bolt catch to release cylinder. Screw at top of cylinder needs removing to slide blowback follower off:-

DSC_0756.jpg

Cylinder removed:-

DSC_0758.jpg

Piston after a couple of thousand shots (M100 spring fitted):-

DSC_0760.jpg

Close-up of gears:-

DSC_0761.jpg

Trigger mechanism:-

DSC_0763.jpg

Outer barrel supports (needs removing for access to rail screws):-

DSC_0765.jpg

Star RDS SUSAT. Lordy! :-

DSC_0767.jpg

In reply to allmost all of the above:

My L85 had problems firing before I took off the top half off the gearbox, and concluded the gears had worn to the state shown in the pictures earlier in this thread...

Eventhough I may not have took it off in the correct way (can't remeber really) and that could have worsened the problem, I sure do not believe the damage could not have been caused alone by disassembling the gearbox.

So in a glimps: My rifle made a cracking noise when firing full auto, found that to be extremely disturbing, opened the gearbox, and behold, damaged piston, no further damage.

Mine came today, and although i had a wee bit of trouble at first(charging handle was jammed showing the hop, and i had trouble putting it back together after field stripping it(i had somehow warped the body so it didnt fit back together) i managed to fix them all within a few minutes using no toos at all(squeezed the body together to get it back together, just shot it with the recoild bolt enabled and the jam was fixed).

Once you wear the hop in, it is incredibly accurate, and the trigger is simply amazing to use. I shot my G&G untill the battery ran down, then had a plink with a CA M15a4, and it just felt so boring. My only real gripe is that the front sight cant be adjusted high enough to point where the bb hits(well, on mine anyway), so i have to aim a little bit low(even with the hop on minimum). Weird huh? Ill be getting a SUSAT asap anyway, so its not a problem.

In reply to allmost all of the above:

My L85 had problems firing before I took off the top half off the gearbox, and concluded the gears had worn to the state shown in the pictures earlier in this thread...

Eventhough I may not have took it off in the correct way (can't remeber really) and that could have worsened the problem, I sure do not believe the damage could not have been caused alone by disassembling the gearbox.

So in a glimps: My rifle made a cracking noise when firing full auto, found that to be extremely disturbing, opened the gearbox, and behold, damaged piston, no further damage.

See 1stcommando, there's your problem.

That along with the crappy blowback and various external faults are the problems with the gun.

SS never insulted you, yet you seem to have taken his post very personally. Hit a nerve?

Archived