"V" Hop up?

mtdarkwolf

a hopup that is shaped in a V rather than the normal hopup, which only has 1point of contact on the bb.

The good things about V hop are less FPS loss from engaging the hopup on the bb, and the fact that it has 2 points of contact, 1 on each side, allows for more side to side stabilization for the bb.

More accuracy, more range.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=72334

My project :D

Works good. :D

When my mom decided to "organize" my stuff, I lost the papers to scan.

Since I only shot at about 70' away, I can do the tests again at my house, so if I have time tomorrow, I'll try, else I gotta move in because school starts monday.

Yep yep! Improved close range accuracy, but I don't have a chrono on or near me so I couldn't see how it affected FPS.

Someone else should buy a spare rubber or something, and do the tests to confirm my findings. The tests I carried out that day weren't exactally "scientific" or "controlled" but they were to just give me a general idea to see if it did anything. If I had another spare rubber lying around someplace, I'd run the same tests again, but unfortunately I don't. Since I'm leaving tomorrow, and won't get to test it for a long time, someone else confirming it would be great!

Is there any additional effect to using a notched sleeve with a notched nub (like those H hopup nubs, made by Big-out), or would that just be overkill? I believe those H nubs are intended to create a similar effect to a V notched sleeve on a normal flat sleeve so I don't know what would happen if you combined them.

EDIT: I just reread your project and found that you were using the big-out one. I guess I'm asking then, does the big-out dealy have much effect? Would using a notched sleeve with a regular nub work as well?

The TM M14 and Gspec use V type hopups, and they have a lot more range than normal hop-up AEGs.

I plan to try this out on a old Hop-bucking I have lying around - I'll post if I find anything interesting.

hmm.. what if you cut a v in a 2 point hop? like the g-spec has

would it under hop, or would it be even more effective, or would it have no effect..?

Don't know what you're talking about due to the fact I've never taken appart a g-spec before. Care to show us/me a diagram?

Is there any additional effect to using a notched sleeve with a notched nub (like those H hopup nubs, made by Big-out), or would that just be overkill? I believe those H nubs are intended to create a similar effect to a V notched sleeve on a normal flat sleeve so I don't know what would happen if you combined them.

EDIT: I just reread your project and found that you were using the big-out one. I guess I'm asking then, does the big-out dealy have much effect? Would using a notched sleeve with a regular nub work as well?

In the link I've provided with the other thread, it says it has a 2 point contact hopup arm, so thats why I used the big-out h-hop. Oh and for the record, the H-hop has no relationship to anything v-hop related whatsoever. If you look down a stock hopup unit, you will see a smiley face of rubber protruding. With a big-out h-hop installed, you will see a straight line of rubber protruding.

Possibly, if I use the original rubber packing, it'll spread the modified rubber a little more and have more effect??? I don't know... I never thought to use a stock rubber before :o my bad...

With both the black and white hopup nubs (and stock rubber), I've found that the range is not increased, but accuracy is. I also found that the white hopup (meant for longer barrels) works better with short barrels and v-hop (firefly, not mod) than the black one (meant for short barrels).

Oh, well according to that quote about the BOYS edition rifles, you would have a system similar to that. Which is what I was trying to achieve using the H-hop packings.

The H-hop thingeys put 2 points of contact on the rubber, but since the rubber already has a small rubber hump protruding from the rubber, it just levels it out the lump inside the barrel instead of producing anything similar to the firefly hopup. Without the h-hops you have a smiley face of rubber in your barrel versus a flat line of rubber (which the H-hop helps produce). Maybe the G-spec and M14 contact arms are designed significally different (o0o! I want a picture if anyone has!) and so it puts more contact in a more specific place?

We need a pic of the inside of a TM M14 hopup, and also an explaination of how it works.

We need to know if the Arm, Nub, or Sleeve is V cut. Which of the three is V?

me and fiveseven will each give a +1 to whoever can provide an explanation and/or pictures.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
If you can understand a word that is said, this site may help ;)

www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~cgi/hopup2.htm

its got some pics too, but they're only semi-helful

You sir... Have earned yourself a +1

I'd translate it for all too see but I'm too lazy :P

Who makes them, and where can I get one?

What is "them" and if you're talking about V-hop, you can find it in a G-spec or one of those BOYS guns... Be a little more specific when asking a question...

What type of hop up assembly were you using five-seven?

My stock ics one is ###### and i plan on getting a new one along with probably a v-hop or h-hop.

The pics from my little experiment were from a MP5K hopup, and my tests were with an AK47 hopup.

I was asking if there are any seperate units availible for purchase that can be inserted in an AEG.

AFAIK There are no "units" avaliable for purchase. According to the article thingy that's posted here (which I'm still translating), the G-spec/G26A/Socom hopup uses either a metal or plastic bar thing that pushes down on the rubber. The Bigout H-hop nub/packing thing attempts to replicate this using the stock hopup rubber.

From what I'm reading, this form of hopup is different from the V-type hopup I originally thought was implemented in the G-spec. It offers an increase in force of the BB in the 90 degree direction (assuming the horizontal axis is 0 degrees), instead of off at 60 degree angles to the side (traditional hopup systems). This leads to increased stability, precision, and accuracy, but I still haven't read anything about increased range yet...

Still haven't read the V hop portion yet...

Oh and Drake, there's the KM hopup things that no one likes (v hopup like), Firefly hopups (two notches sticking down, possibly enhanced H hop), there's probably a few others I don't know out there (I think guarder makes one?) and then there's the big-out H-hop nub/packing things.

KM leaks like a wasted man (or so I've been told), firefly is next to impossible to source (although I was lucky enough to get one :P ), I haven't heard anything about the few others yet, and the H-hop works great for me :D .

edit:

Why do I think 'Cameltoe' when i see those hops? 

I'm thinking you'd lose a tiny bit of air through the gap compared to a 'normal' hop?

LOL

You probably do lose a tiny bit of air (I haven't done tests), but I mean, to sacrafice a few FPS for quite a lot more accuracy and precision is a trade I'd be more than willing to do.

Archived