AC556 custom (A-Team style)

HannibalSmith77

I undertook the project of converting a custom gas powered Tanaka model gun and tried to incorporate M14 internals into it. That proved to be above and beyond what I wanted to do.

I lucked out however and realized that the gas system in it seems to work fine and really only needs periodic o-ring changes to keep it functional. I have, of course, removed the blue on the receiver and related parts. This is my A-Team gun and while it has a ways to go, right now...it's not too bad.

100_0994.jpg

Here are my questions. (This is mainly pointed at some classic gun users out there.) What type of gas do you typically use? Typical operating pressure? I'm looking for some general tips to make it very usable. I want to use Co2 if possible...any suggestions?

I know classic airsoft has their own site and I will likely continue to search there. I thought I might be able to catch some of the stragglers from there who troll around here.

Hannibal

I undertook the project of converting a custom gas powered Tanaka model gun and tried to incorporate M14 internals into it.  That proved to be above and beyond what I wanted to do.

I lucked out however and realized that the gas system in it seems to work fine and really only needs periodic o-ring changes to keep it functional.  I have, of course, removed the blue on the receiver and related parts.  This is my A-Team gun and while it has a ways to go, right now...it's not too bad.

100_0994.jpg

Here are my questions. (This is mainly pointed at some classic gun users out there.)  What type of gas do you typically use?  Typical operating pressure?  I'm looking for some general tips to make it very usable.  I want to use Co2 if possible...any suggestions?

I know classic airsoft has their own site and I will likely continue to search there.  I thought I might be able to catch some of the stragglers from there who troll around here.

Hannibal

The A-team? you mean the one with with Mr. T?
I should point out, that as far as I can remember, everytime the A Team used these weapons they never managed to hit anyone.

Hope you have better luck! :D

I am severely worried about this problem. If it truly is based on this platform, I should be able to hit everything right around my target. However, you had better not pass in front of me in a 80's model car or a jeep. It's a given that I will pop your tires and flip the vehicle. ;)

Sweet! Coincidentally, I was watching a few episodes of the show today for the first time and became interested in the mini 14.

This raises the issue of why are mini 14's not produced? There are a billion other guns that have no special interest to anyone...why not 1 more? :P

Hannibal

assuming its externally gassed you just need a classic airsoft style rig

I could give you part numbers for that in UK but theres a guide on classic airsoft.net that will list all the mcmaster partcodes you need for fixtures and fittings which would make a lot more sense as you're in the US

(theres also at least one person on there that will sell you a complete reglator set up with hoses and pressure guage etc that you just need to add your own CO2 bottle to)

basic set up

bottle -> regulator ->connector screwed onto regulator -> recoil hose ->connector on rifle

basic setup you'ld need to turn off or remove the CO2 bottle from regulator before disconnecting rig from the gun

quick disconnect setup

bottle ->regulator -> connector screwed onto regulator -> recoil hose -> quick disconnect socket -> quick disconnect plug -> short pice of straight hose ->connector on rifle

you can disconnect gun from the rig while leaving the bottle turned on/attached to the rig by disconecting the quick disconnect plug on the gun from the QD socket on the reg (the air will be automatically blocked off at end of the qiuick disconnect on the reg)

if its an unknown quantity you havent fired before start of with zero PSI of pressure out of the regulator and ease the power on slowly chronoing it as you go exceed its max pressure and you'll either lock it up or unseat an oring.

I'm glad you decided to keep the internals. They are Asahi if I remember correctly, so you've got plenty of power and upgrade potential. The standard rig that is detailed on classicairsoft.net is the best way to go. I use co2, but HPA may be better for you if you play in a cold climate, or your field offers cheap/free fills. As you've probably read on the classic site, every gun has its own "sweet spot" with pressure, but most Asahis run around 60-90 PSI for standard operations. Again the general guide on the rig and setting it up covers most of your questions. Start low and raise the pressure 10 psi for each burst until you get the desired effect.

How many mags did you get for it? They're built by hand using M16 mag internals and real Mini 14 mags, so I'd imagine you may have just the one. Mini 14 mags are pretty easy to get online, and Asahi M16 mags are somewhat plentiful. So building more won't be a major issue.

Welcome to classics and I hope you enjoy it. If you decide that the range is lacking, look up as4l for a custom barrel, it makes a huge difference. I also implore you to never again consider putting AEG internals into it. If you're just completely turned-off by the external gas then make sure you keep the internals and sell them.

Sorry to threadjack, but Duke, can you look at my thread in classicairsoft? Paul said it's impossible to convert an sp to a true m16a2, but I'm pretty adamant about doing so. I'd like some more input. Thanks. By the way, I would really go with the quick disconnect setup on this one, as it's just easier in my opinion. :)

Omg that is kick *albartroth* :D

I thought they used M1 carbines converted to full auto :P little did i know,

Yes.. they never hit anything except the floor, barrells and various stuff but you gotta love it, infact only one person ever died on A-team :P

Im buying the DVD box set at somepoint and I watch it alot on sky :P

love the gun,

Snorkelman, Duke and everyone else...THANKS!!!!

I'm glad you decided to keep the internals.  They are Asahi if I remember correctly, so you've got plenty of power and upgrade potential.  The standard rig that is detailed on classicairsoft.net is the best way to go.  I use co2, but HPA may be better for you if you play in a cold climate, or your field offers cheap/free fills.  As you've probably read on the classic site, every gun has its own "sweet spot" with pressure, but most Asahis run around 60-90 PSI for standard operations.  Again the general guide on the rig and setting it up covers most of your questions.  Start low and raise the pressure 10 psi for each burst until you get the desired effect.

How many mags did you get for it?  They're built by hand using M16 mag internals and real Mini 14 mags, so I'd imagine you may have just the one.  Mini 14 mags are pretty easy to get online, and Asahi M16 mags are somewhat plentiful.  So building more won't be a major issue.

Welcome to classics and I hope you enjoy it.  If you decide that the range is lacking, look up as4l for a custom barrel, it makes a huge difference.  I also implore you to never again consider putting AEG internals into it.  If you're just completely turned-off by the external gas then make sure you keep the internals and sell them.

I only have the 1 mag, Duke. I think you know who I got it from. Mike told me that he thought the mag was from a Mac10. We discussed the possibility of using standard MP5 mags. I haven't messed with that part yet, however.

Do you think I could incorporate a hi-cap in a mini 14 mag? Would that be too much output for the gun? If my gun improves drastically, then I wouldn't be a massive sprayer, but I do love the fun of putting a ton of plastic in the air.

I'm cool with the setup. I played paintball and it's not that different from other deals I messed with. I still do need a palmer stabilizer though. I gather that the low pressure one is the best idea for my application?

Once again, thanks for the help and compliments from everyone. It really helps!

Hannibal

Archived