Ficticious Unit Load-out

Jagdraben

As some of you may know from looking at my signature, I tend to have this habit of creating ficticious units. In the past, they've been PMCs and rebels. But this is something different and, for a large part, unprecedented in the modern era. If I had a better understanding of the various load-bearing vests currently in production, I would be able to do this on my own, but I can't, hence this thread.

BACKSTORY:

The unit in question (which is going to change from what is presently in my signature) is a near-future unit in which it has been assumed that the eruption of the Yellowstone Volcano does not result in wiping out the human race nor the complete destruction of civilization as we know it.

The story goes something like this, the United States and Canada have collapsed as world powers. Americans and Canadians, evacuated before the volcano blew, and escaping following the collapse of order in much of the US and Canada have become refugees worldwide. With the collapse of the United States and the inevitable famine that follows the eruption, new alliances are forged, as India, Japan, Korea, and Australia struggle to fill the void in the Pacific left by the US and the Russian military machine builds up on their border with the Ukraine, who appeal to NATO for aid. War begins to break out across the globe: Russia invades the Ukraine, prompting retaliation from NATO, and PRChina invades ROChina, inviting retribution from the new Pacific Alliance.

With the European and Pacific militaries stretched thin, they recieve appeals from the refugees they are hosting: the Americans and Canadians want to fight. One of the units formed as a result of these appeals is the JSDF Foreign Volunteer Group (later reformed into the First Foreign Marine Expeditionary Force of the JMSDF and the First Foreign Volunteer Army of the JGSDF, following Japan's purchase of an American carrier group (which was sold by the US to try to help get their economy under control. Another group was sold to Australia, two were sold to India, two to the UK, one to Germany, and one to Spain, the remaing four either being recalled closer to America's territorial waters or being scrapped)).

The unit in question here is going to be the JMSDF 1st FMEF, which can be imagined as a combination of the following groups:

-JMSDF personnel (officer corps)

-Former USMC personnel (officers and enlisted)

-Former USN personnel (mostly Seabees, SEALs, and other amphibious units; officers and enlisted))

-American refugees (enlisted)

-Canadaian refugees (enlisted)

The primary equipment for the USN and USMC personnel would likely be mostly American (except for some slow modifications in terms of insignia and so forth), whereas the the JMSDF officers would probably use almost exclusively Japanese equipment. The refugees, though would be a mix of the two, as they would have been originally trained and equiped by the Japanese (they are primarily, along with many of the JMSDF officers, the original FVG), but upon being folded in with the USMC and USN personnel, they likely would have supplemented their Japanese kit with a hefty dose of American kit (trading their kit with the USN/MC personnel and acquiring replacement equipment first from the available stocks in the carrier group).

So, the question is:

For a Refugee, what sort of LBE and camouflage should be worn? Or, more precisely, what would one limit the camouflage and LBE to (this is where you geardos come in :P)?

You forgot the Air Force, buddy. ;)

The USAF elements in Japan would probably get rolled into the JASDF. The only refugees who would wind up in those units would be the guys who flew crop-dusters in Southern California. :P

And a lot of those guys would probably wind up in an aviation unit supporting the FMEF or FVA. So there wouldn't be a significant percentage in the JASDF. And the backstory I gave was mostly following the storyline of the refugees and not the regular armed branches of the US, hence the exclusion of the Air Force.

This is cool, I would use some non uber sexy Guicci kit. Like SDS USGI ISSUE FLC VEST 's in Coyote Brown Good Old H harness and pistol belt with alice gear pouches and buttpacks, with Maybe MARPAT and older analog camo. Seeing as how the USN still uses DCU and old woodland extensively.

IBA's for armor are quite common in the USN and USMC (MARINES are geing CIRAS alot now IIRC) Even BHI ISSAK rigs and LBT Riverine op rigs. If your going for the Guys just rolled into the USMC/USN sphere of influence from JAPANSESE maybe (if you hav it) mix Japanese camo with US Webbing. Or throw in some CADPAT and a serious hodgepodge webbing. Like Some American kit with a little bit canadian and maybe even some British and German. Really assed up...like...CADPAT and DPM vest...or CADPAT and a US rig in OD and maybe a Japanese or British DPM boonie.

ok tbh at first that made my head hurt, but i'll play ball:

I'd go for japanese bdu (most likely that uniforms would be issued new, as the refugee would be unlikely to already have them, being a civi and all) and then use ALICE gear for webing as it's sooooo plentiful, and since it's perfect for STANAG mags you could make this either a Type 89 rig or an M4 rig (maybe go Dimaco if your ambitious ;) ). I'd also add some kind of non-standard non-japanese headgear... something distinctly american or canadian(SF Giants, Habs cap perhaps or a cowboy hat :D ).

Maybe a distinctive combat knife as well? An oversized Bowie or a tomahawk?

way to think outside the box...

This isn't Japan becoming uber (if you read, you'll note that they bought one carrier group from the US, while India and the UK both bought two).

This is Japan as a partner with India, fighting with PRChina over resources in a world where the only thing more valuable than oil is crop, while the US collapses into economic ruin. The most valuable nations in the Pacific Alliance, in terms of resources are India and Australia. The most important in terms of their locations would be Japan, Korea, and India.

In terms of the US, I would imagine that California, Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and most of the Eatern US being fine (although we could add a superquake rocking California and a trans-Atlantic tsunami whiping out the Eastern Seaboard), while much of the Rocky Mountains have been devastated and most of the Mid-West and Rockies are now controlled by bandits and vigilantes.

As for what I'm thinking of for my own load-out themed as the refugee volunteers who have just been rolled into the carrier group:

-Japanese camouflage utilities (I don't have)

-Japanese camouflage boonie/jungle hat (don't have)

-CB Boots (I have)

-CB Flight Gloves (I have)

-CB Maritime CIRAS (I don't have)

-Maybe some barebones American or Japanese ALICE gear

-M88 PASGT (have) or MICH helmet (don't have) with Woodland MARPAT cover (don't have)

-Type 89 (no optics, possibly even no bipod; don't have)

-Japanese flag or Japanese Naval Ensign (left shoulder), US or FMEF 'Ronin' flag (right shoulder), Montana flag (right shoulder, under US flag)

-US-issue gas mask

I feel that it fits in with the logistical capabilities and history that the unit has had: Initially issued the basic equipment:

Utilities, ALICE gear, but short on protective gear. Odds are that the Type 64 rifle was initially issued to soldiers of the FVG, but as production cued up and Type 64 rifles were lost or destroyed, they were phased out in favor of the Type 89. The patches would be mostly of the non-regulation type (hence why the US and Montana flags are used on a uniform worn by a soldier fighting for the Japanese government). Once the FVG was split into the First FMEF and First FVA, there would have been a (relative) deluge of protective equipment, which is why the gloves, gas mask, boots, helmet, and vest are all American issue.

Of course, if one were to do a load-out based on the FMEF 'Ronin', I would expect the following weapons to be acceptable regardless of kit:

-Type 64 (if one is ever made)

-Type 89

-M4/M4A1/C8 and other short rifles of the kind (any short AR-15-based rifle or subgun that might be found on board a vessel of the US Navy)

-M14 (EBR, DMR, &c.)

-M16A3/M16A4/C7

-MP5/MP5SD/MP5J

-M60 (Navy variants, &c.)

-M249/JSDF Minimi

Or any other weapon which might be found in the armory of a vessel of the US Navy (which might include G36s and Kalashnikovs). An FMEF-Recon or SEAL load-out could also include Type 81, Type 95, or Type 03 rifles and LSWs.

I doubt that USMC/USN and refugee units would be mixed in on any level lower than Platoon, but one would likely be able to tell what unit one originally served in based on their kit. If, for instance, someone is kitted out as a Modern day Marine or SEAL (except for maybe the odd bit of Japanese kit and a Japanese flag on one shoulder), then they're likely originally USMC/USN forces. Of course, it's entirely possible to have someone dressed in Japanese utilities and protective gear and have been, originally, a Marine or SEAL, but the trend probably wouldn't cut both ways so much (few refugees would have MARPAT utilities unless they found someone their same size and traded them or somehow found a couple sets somewhere on ship (I don't know whether or not Navy ships have their own Quartermasters who run wholesaler outfits like those found at Navy and Marine Corps bases/stations)). Optics are going to be rare in the non-USMC/USN-originating units as optics are not cheap to manufacture and are not required to make a rifle fire.

So. Yeah. My thoughts.

Let me calculate how much money I need to get this kit together.... x.x

Phantom CIRAS: $200 (incl. shipping)

Japanese camouflage utilities and jungle hat: 15000JPY (and then some)

MARPAT cover: $25? (incl shipping)

Flag patches: $12? (incl. shipping)

Type 89: $460? (incl. shipping)

Of course, the gas mask and a pouch for it will be more (worn for CQB and/or MOUT), but aren't exactly needed at this time.

So, about $700USD+15000JPY(+S&H). Lots of money.

I'd also add some kind of non-standard non-japanese headgear... something distinctly american or canadian(SF Giants, Habs cap perhaps or a cowboy hat :D ).

Maybe a distinctive combat knife as well? An oversized Bowie or a tomahawk?

way to think outside the box...

:rofl:

I like your thinking.

I'll have to get in touch with my bow hunter pal to see if I can find something distinctly Montana looking (he has a very v. v. v. v. nice custom knife, BTW) for a blade. Maybe get a Vietnam-era M1911A1 holster (I already have old M1911A1 mag pouches for it, too) if I ever decide to go for a sidearm specifically for the load-out (that's more 'American' than the rather Japanese P226-Navy that I have now).

The problem with a cowboy hat is that I don't look very good in it. Might consider a Cavalry hat, though....

If the Yellowstone super-volcano did blow up the area that gets devastated would become the most fertile in the world in a couple of decades. With this in mind and the fact you said crops are the only thing more valuable than oil surely there'd be a scramble between all the major player nations to snap up this land as soon as possible. I see battles between militia and national armies trying to carve out an empire in the former USA.

It would be fertile, yes. But winters would be longer and colder. The eruption would usher in a new mini ice age, as the ash would remain in the air for years, drastically reducing the amount of sunlight that reaches the earths surface, which would both cool the earth and reduce the amount of sunlight that reaches the surface, thereby severely damaging crop growth.

I would certainly imagine botanists and geneticists scrambling over each other in an attempt to create new strains of hardier plant life and new, more advanced ways of cultivating crops (perhaps even green house ships on the ocean, near the equator?), as well as a new emphasis on harvesting food from the sea. Which is too bad because I hate sea food.

EDIT: Typo-daemon away!

Archived