Star FN FNC Shorty

Try turnning on the motor, because in the manual for the gun it states "in an usual situtation, the motor may be disabled, to activate it, press the button on the bottom of the pistol grip". I don't know if that will work though, as I don't have an FNC, but I did read the manual anyway  :D

Someone else asked this, too, and I am also curious, how do you seperate the top and lower reciever to get to the gearbox? Is it just the two normal pins and you can seperate the recievers, or is it something else? I am thinking of buying this so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Yea I got it to work by sending it to have it rewired but it happened again. I read in the manual that you have to press a botton that I taught it was in the grip but it was near the stock. I press that and it now works. I too tried to seperate the top and lower reciever that there was a pin that was in the way in which I could not remove.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I got it to work by sending it to have it rewired but it happened again.  I read in the manual that you have to press a botton that I taught it was in the grip but it was near the stock.  I press that and it now works.  I too tried to seperate the top and lower reciever that there was a pin that was in the way in which I could not remove.

So how would you go about disassembling it? Are there any screws that need to be unscrewed and then it comes apart? The pin that comes out, is it the one above the magwell (on the outside of the lower reciever)?

So how would you go about disassembling it? Are there any screws that need to be unscrewed and then it comes apart? The pin that comes out, is it the one above the magwell (on the outside of the lower reciever)?

I don't know if its the right way to disable it but this is how far it can open up.

CRW_1818.jpg

Maybe it got something to do with with the part circle in red as I don't know if I need to remove it or not

CRW_1819.jpg

I don't know if its the right way to disable it but this is how far it can open up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/planeman/CRW_1818.jpg

Maybe it got something to do with with the part circle in red as I don't know if I need to remove it or not

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/planeman/CRW_1819.jpg

Ah, that may be it, take a look at this: (taken from FNC manual of disassembly)

specialpinnv2.jpg

You probably need to flip that little silver lever up, but I'm questioning the durability of that thing :) looks pretty weak to me. Anyway thanks, that really helps with my descision, as I want something that would be able to field strip easy and this looks like this is the one.

BTW, hows your charging bolt held up? I'm just wondering because every single review i've read or pictures I've seen, the charging bolt was ripped off in shipping, or was ripped off under normal use. I'm a little worried as I'm not really that technical with AEG's and would not know how to fix or solve the problem except by replacing it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Edited by OverKiller93
Ah, that may be it, take a look at this: (taken from FNC manual of disassembly)

specialpinnv2.jpg

You probably need to flip that little silver lever up, but I'm questioning the durability of that thing  :) looks pretty weak to me. Anyway thanks, that really helps with my descision, as I want something that would be able to field strip easy and this looks like this is the one.

BTW, hows your charging bolt held up? I'm just wondering because every single review i've read or pictures I've seen, the charging bolt was ripped off in shipping, or was ripped off under normal use. I'm a little worried as I'm not really that technical with AEG's and would not know how to fix or solve the problem except by replacing it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Ive had had my FNC since Feb (I bought it in store in Airsoft Extreme when they had it for $445) and the charging bolt is still there. Just don't charge the bolt back and let it go and you will be fine.

Ive had had my FNC since Feb (I bought it in store in Airsoft Extreme when they had it for $445) and the charging bolt is still there.  Just don't charge the bolt back and let it go and you will be fine.

Oh good, they must have fixed the problem then. Thanks, planeman, you've been very helpful.

• 3 months later...

The STAR FNC is a great AEG. I have had mine for nearly 2 months now and it is most likely the best AEG I own as far as feel, power, and range.

I am the second owner of this gun but it was only used twice by the previous owner...the only reason he got rid of the gun was he purchased a PTW. The FNC shoots extremely far and true...I have my hop almost all the way off..and it outranges most AEG's on the field.

The weight is great...heavy for some people though. I am highly pleased with this gun and would reccomend it to most anyone looking for a solid AEG and something with great range. One thing though...if you are a geardo or MILSIM player the FNC is a good stand in for the AK5 so doing a Sweedish loadout would work well..other than that..Contractor or soemthing of the sort. Still though..a great AIRSOFT replica.

I cant get my FNC to go into the folded position so other than that problem it is a good gun

I believe you have to push the stock down, because there is a lip which prevents the stock from folding, unless you push the stock downward. It rides on a cylinder with a spring, so as soon as you get the stock out of the lip, it will respring back up. Give it a try and tell me if it works. Just push and turn.

I believe you have to push the stock down, because there is a lip which prevents the stock from folding, unless you push the stock downward. It rides on a cylinder with a spring, so as soon as you get the stock out of the lip, it will respring back up. Give it a try and tell me if it works. Just push and turn.

I have folded and unfolded it before but the problem is that I can't push it down to fold it. It does not really matter since i like it in the unfolded position.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
How does the lower receiver come off from the upper once the TMH pins are out?

The way I've seen it, people slide the upper receiver away from the stock. But I'm not sure, my FNC is on the way, and I am preparing for a broken bolt, so if it comes to that and I have to take it apart, I'll be sure to post it here.

Just on another note, I bought a full length FNC from a retailer in HK, and I was wondering if it has trades or not, because for some reason I have been seeing others some with trademarks, and some without, and I'm getting really confused <_< Thanks.

Alright it just got here!

First impressions:

YEAH!!!!!! OMGZ!11!1 SO SAWEET!!11! TIS WILL PWN T3H NOOBZORZ!!1!1!

No really, this is so fing solid. The stock is awesome, the trades came intact, and the cocking handle is fixed! It's not just a weak screw anymore. I'll have to get some pictures to show you guys. The battery I have to say is fiddly to get in. Haven't test fired yet, because the battery is charging, but I will update later today with tons of pictures. Cocking handle though is friggin sweet. I have to say, its very satisfying to pull it back. Just one complaint: Selector switch is really loose. It rotatoes very easily, but once it locks into place, its solid. What isn't solid though is when switching. It's just a little loose. Other than that, this thing is beastly. Can't wait to fire it. Will update when battery is charged.

QUICK UPDATE: My stock just jammed and won't fold now. I know what your talking about now planeman. Grrr....

Edited by OverKiller93
don't forget to downgrade it if you want to skirmish with it !

in it's stock form it shoots about 400 fps,get a weaker spring.

grtz

Don't worry, the site I play on allows up to 450 fps ;)

P.S. I put the review with some pictures up in the review database. I'm still putting pictures in, but I just wanted to post some pics and text that I have right now so I don't loose it. Enjoy.

STAR FN FNC Review

I’m going to start with the where I got the gun and how it got here:

Retailer Purchased From:

I purchased the STAR FN FNC from PV Airsoft for about 395 USD and paid about 72 USD for shipping (I live in the U.S.). The total came steep, but I knew I had to get the rifle.

It got here about 5 days later after anxious waiting in a green paper box surrounded in a lot of tape (I threw that out, so no picture, sorry L ). Now for the packaging:

Packaging:

The packaging I have to say was very inconspicuous and customs never thought twice about it. All it was was a cardboard type box (but much stronger than cardboard) with a sticker on the bottom left hand corner with:

STAR FN FNC

(picture of STAR FN FNC mirrored incorrectly)

What kind of scared me at first though was a huge gouge near the top middle of the box, but luckily upon opening the box, it had no effect.

Once lifting the top of the box off, you are faced with a type of foam layer that you must lift up. Then, behold, the ugly but beautiful FN FNC. I would have to say this is the nicest packaging out of any AEG I have ever bought. No rattling, no shaking, just snug. Now, to lift it out…!

Initial Impressions:

foldedright3am2.jpg

“Woah! This is friggin’ sweet!” Seriously, I am really glad I got this AEG. I had been reading about it for at least a year and made some bad decisions on buy other AEG’s I really regretted, and she’s mine now, but anyway.

Full metal goodness. Only the pistol grip and the hand guard are plastic. One thing I will mention: this rifle is -blam!-ing heavy, but solid! It is so comfortable to shoulder with the stock unfolded, and so easy to maneuver with the stock folded. An ultimate woodland AND CQB weapon, I would say for right now that is ;)

Now for a more detailed description going from stock to flash hider…

Stock:

foldedright1so6.jpg

*grin* At first, I was like, “OMGZ!11! It FolDzoRz!!11! So L33t!11”, but then after a poo load of folds and unfolds, fail. More on that later though. To unfold the stock, you must push down the stock and swing it out. (I am sorry in advance for horrible pictures. I don't know why they got so blurry :( )

stockfolding1sh6.jpg

You don’t have to push down when unfolding, but if you don’t like metal on metal, then I would advise you do this.

stockfolding2ml4.jpg

To fold the stock, you do the same thing: just push down enough so that it will fold. At first, I thought that the stock was supposed to lock in, but it does not, it is just held on by metal on metal friction in the folded spot with a few millimeters of play, but for a purpose… Since the stock folds over the magazine release, it is impossible to press it with the stock folded, so this is remedied by adding a little extra play in the stock, which is what STAR have replicated nicely, and it allows you to press it to take out your magazine.

Now for the fail part. After a poo load of folds and unfolds, it got stuck in the unfolded position, meaning when you go to push down the stock to fold it, it wouldn’t move, therefore you can’t folder your uber 1337 stock. This was remedied with some silicone all over the hinges and the spring, and where metal goes on metal. The stock was a little hard to fold again, but after a while, it wore in. So just be ready with that if you plan to buy this rifle. I wouldn’t not discourage anyone to not buy this rifle just for that reason though, as it is simple and easy to fix, probably a two-minute job.

Now I can say that I love my stock! :D

Rear Sight and Block:

rear2na8.jpg

The iron sights are kind of blocky and impossible to adjust without some sort of tool. I tried with just my fingers, which was a stupid idea and resulted in a big owwie. The sight structure however is based like an M4, being that the sight can be flipped back and forth for long range and close range shooting.

rear3wz6.jpg

Not sure on exact distances though. Maybe you can figure that out ;) Looking through the sights gives a clear picture though and would be very practical for use in a skirmish.

sightingvq9.jpg

Oh, and one thing I would like to add to that. This is really a compliment on the design of the FNC, but I really love how the rear sight block is actually WELDED onto the upper receiver, and not just held on by just some screw on a rail. No chance of loosing it somewhere.

grenadesightdp4.jpg

Pistol Grip:

img3026nl5.jpg

FN type pistol grip. It’s basically a FAL or Minimi type pistol grip, but it is very nice and really solid. Very comfortable, too.

bottompistolot4.jpg

Selector Switch:

28178914vg7.jpg

The selector I would say would be one of the only faults of the weapon. It clicks into place solidly, HOWEVER, when rotating it to a new position, it can be moved way too effortlessly. It’s WAY too loose, but it does lock in place solidly. I found FA and Single Shot to have the best locking.

22931226bk1.jpg

Now to the best part: 3 round burst!!! Yes it does work and very flawlessly, but more on that later.

55125771no4.jpg

42334155il9.jpg

Magazine, Magazine Release, etc.

The magazine release is small, but that doesn’t matter and it gets the job done.

magrelease1lu7.jpg

The magazine is extremely nice and has a very professional-looking finish to it.

magrelease2pa2.jpg

img3034kj2.jpg

It matches the rifle nicely and sits in the gun very easily with very minimal wobbling. When you press the magazine release, it doesn’t drop right out of the gun sadly, but don’t get me wrong, the magazine is very nice. Transitions are smooth and very easy.

mag2gc8.jpg

Yes, Now Finally the Blessed Cocking Handle:

I have good news. It’s fixed! Yay! No really, the flimsy screw that everybody talked about always snapping off seems to have been replaced and now it is permanently attached to the bolt carrier, which means hopefully no snappage.

cockfixed.jpg

I have racked it and let go when pulled all the way back at least three or more times and it seems pretty solid. I like the feel of guiding it back and forth though, so I really won’t have to worry about any abuse. The sound is the best part though; it’s intimidating! The sound of it hitting the dustcover and back is just so awesome and almost sounds like the real deal.

cocking2.jpg

The cocking handle comes back 3/4ths of the way but doesn’t make it all the way to where you would normally lock it into the receiver. It is still very nice though and I love it!

Hand Guard:

The hand guard is a mother dog to get off. You remove it similar to an M4 by pulling back the delta ring

deltaring.jpg

and then separating it.

deltaring2.jpg

Well on the FNC, the delta ring is extremely small and the hand guard is extremely big (compared to each other) and so you get a problem and finger owwie (again). After a few opens, it wears in, but it is still very hard to get off.

The hand guard fits a mini 8.4v-9.6v nunchuck battery, which I got in easy on my first try. You have to make sure you just tuck everything neatly and leave room for the inner barrel to get in, then you can snug the hand guard right back onto the gun for a nice solid feel. It wobbles a little with no battery, but with a battery, it’s reduced even more, and gives even more weight to the gun. Buy a sling!!!

One concern I do have though that seems to be a problem with every FN gun I have owned is the seams splitting the hand guard in half. You have to be very careful not to force the hand guard on, or else I think it could break in half, which wouldn’t be too good ;)

Heatsheild:

Not much to say really. Solid, full metal, yay.

Front Iron Sights, Block, and Grenade Sights/Gas Regulator:

Pretty solid. Full metal. Can be adjusted for elevation with a regular front sight adjuster (can’t put my finger on the name). It’s hexagonal if that helps.

Now the grenade sights/gas regulator I found to be a pain sometimes. Although it is a nice esthetic touch, it can easily be moved and get in the way of your aim if you jerk the rifle to violently or fast. It is pretty cool though I have to say.

Finally, Barrel, Flash hider, Sling Mount, etc.:

Full metal, can be unscrewed easily, but is very solid. Not a one piece barrel I’m afraid though because of the tight battery space. Muzzle brake is professionally machined and very nice and chunkay.

muzzle.jpg

Sling mount rotates 360 degrees and can swing front or back.

There is also a sling attachment on the metal block attached to the stock hinge

slingmount.jpg

and there is one on the end of the stock as well.

slingmount2.jpg

Also one thing to mention that no one I have seen has pointed out yet: It appears that there is a bipod mount of some sort right in front of the sling mount. Not sure if it’s a Harris type mount or what, but it looks like it’s there for a bipod. Just something I thought I should point out.

Materials Used:

The upper receiver is all metal and it is solid and has a very nice finish. Even came with unraped trades! Lower receiver has somewhat of a shiny finish, but it is extremely nice. Just one bad thing though, there were two HUGE scratches along the lower receiver on the right side which I can't get off or hide, but I guess it can add to the effect. The pistol grip and hand guard are not cheap ABS thank God. They are very nice and are very comfortable.

AND NOW FOR THE GRAND CONCLUSION!!!

Firing the Beast:

I bought a poopy battery in my haste to fire the rifle. So with the poopy battery, it could barely pull the spring and the ROF was probably a sad 7. Lol! It really was pathetic and funny to watch. The FNC totally pwnt the cheap “Tenergy” 9.6v *HIGH OUTPUT* 2000 mAh battery. Then onto the serious testing, I decided to charge a Sanyo 9.6v ICS PEQ custom battery and take that for a test spin. (it didn’t fit in the hand guard by the way J ) I was in pure shock on the first burst. I was like, “Holy poo! (wasn’t that word but close enough ;) ), this thing rapes!” The range was phenomenal, and the ROF was unbelievable. Accuracy and power were the most astounding. With the hop barely set it was going way out there. Definitely on par with a TM M14. This is probably my hardest hitting, accurate AEG I have ever owned, out of a CA M15A4 S.P.R., ICS M4, G&G RK104, and a KA FN FAL! I am really in awe of how brilliant this rifle is. 3 round burst is t3h s3chs and is so awesome.

Pros:

- Solid

- Metal, metal, metal… 1% plastic, metal, metal, metal

- Heavy…?

- Cocking handle = Woo hoo!

- Stock = OMGZ So 1337!!1!

- Performance is phenomenal:

- F’ing accurate

- ROF = *Howard Dean* YEAUGH!!!

- Range = probably 190 feet, no joke

- Comfortable

- 3 round burst is t3h s3chs!!!

- Unraped trades

- Materials and finish are extremely nice

- It’s FN people!

Cons:

- Heavy…?

- Selector Switch is kind of loose but clicks in solidly

- Stock can be a bugger

- Battery can be fiddly SOMETIMES…

Overall:

This AEG owns all. There’s not much I can say here if you read all of my rambling about how this rifle kicks donkey. I definitely got what I paid for, so yeah, I will be getting a video up on Youtube pretty soon, so stay tuned. FNC, woo hoo!!!

(Alright I am really sorry for horrible picture quality. I am taking new pictures tonight and using a tripod this time so they are not blurry)