AtoZ upgraded SVD problem.

meldamine

My Dragunov shoots 458-465 (confirmed with 2 different chronographs) with a .3 BB. Since I have upgraded it to shoot that speed, I have had a 3-4 foot curve to the left at 80 feet with no wind. I am thinking about ordering some Straight .36 BB's to see if that takes care of the curve. Does anyone think the BB is just too light, or maybe a faulty Hop-up unit?

I have taken the hop up apart twice to try and fix the problem, but it is still there. I am using a basic AEG bucking since the stock bucking was Identical. Everything apears to be in perfect condition and put together correctly. If it helps with determining the problem at all the barrel looks straigt as a barrel can. Its a 6.04 so its still stock.

If all else fails I may just purchase a 6.03

Any help or advice is appreciated.

If it shoots consistantly to the side, then changing brands of BB will not fix it. Either your HOP is not seated level/properly.... the barrel is bent/misaligned.... you have a grease problem in HOP or barrel..... or your scope is not level with your HOP unit....

That's my guess anyway... ;)

id say the hop is misaligned, since the barrel seems straight. if it was the scope, the bbs wouldnt curve, they would just move diagonally.

try with a different barrel if possible, borrow one from a friend (the atoz SVD uses AEG barrels, right?), that would be better than buying a new one and finding out that isnt the problem.

It isnt the scope. Because Ive used the Iron sites a good bit. Ill take a look at the hop up and de-grease it a bit.

the body is made of cast zinc, the body itself could be offcenter

roll the barrel across a glass surface to check for bends, and blow a bb through it with your mouth.

that would affect from the very second it left the barrel not after 80 feet TDS

Right, its obviously a voodoo magic curse from the shumbalalalala the great tiki master that is causing it to curve off, not a slight tweak or stress point in the system causing a small amount of side-hop.

the barrel being bent WILL affect it instantly. the body being out of alligment well it wouldnt fit "right" and would be painfully obviouse on reassebly that it wasnt "right"

hell do YOU have one sitting less than 2 feet from you with the same probelm with light ammo? one of the reasons i cant use it that oftern is i cant afford to run it on the realy highgrade .43s all the time

they all generates a slight sidehop (including the 3 i was setting hop on at the weekend for OTHER players, mine, a mates, a few other people i have gamed with bitching about it) due to the hop istelf being a bit incositant.

thr grub screw used to wind it down is a VERY loose fit and gets nocked off centre easily. when a round is chambered (used a nice engineering DTI to see if it did when clamped in to a vice) but with heavier rounds it doesnt have the samme issue. maybe becasue it is such a slight side hop in relation to ammo weight i dont know.

there is a simple fix which requires either makeing a new grub screw (tempted so i can have an adjuter without needing allen keys) or using soem teflon tape to pack the gurb screw out and bite into teh tapped holes teeth better.

The inner barrel and the outer barrel are as straigt as can be. Must be grease in the hop up or some strange hop up unit. As I said Ill take it apart again tonight and post the solution for anyone else that has this problem.

Thanks for the opinions/advice. If anyone knows what the problem may be and it hasnt been suggested yet, let me know.

id say the hop is misaligned, since the barrel seems straight. if it was the scope, the bbs wouldnt curve, they would just move diagonally.

Sirrith : You are wrong. If the scope was misaligned to the HOP UNIT, then the shooter would level the cross hairs .... meaning the HOP would be off centre. When he fires the HOP would be putting side and UP spin on the pellet. This slight side spin would not just cause the pellet to move diagonally but curl too.

Therefore, I suggest the problem COULD be that the HOP inside the SVD is not housed in a level position. Therefore the user levels his crosshair to the guns furniture however this is perhaps not the level of the barrel slot and HOP???

I suggest to all those SVD owners with this problem, they try to level their cross hair until the pellets do not veer off the centre cross hair.

now I'm just waiting for someone to tell me you cannot alter the scope level (like the horrid PSG1) and I'll cringe for you.... :unsure:

the posp1 scope which most have for it can be altered.

actualy it doesnt sit on centre "true" its a bit of to one side but i have found that its not that far off at as ranges to warrent moving the scope reticules around much and the ruskies have an odd patten so its actualy go loads of aiming points (incl rnage ones)

Sirrith : You are wrong. If the scope was misaligned to the HOP UNIT, then the shooter would level the cross hairs .... meaning the HOP would be off centre. When he fires the HOP would be putting side and UP spin on the pellet. This slight side spin would not just cause the pellet to move diagonally but curl too.

Therefore, I suggest the problem COULD be that the HOP inside the SVD is not housed in a level position. Therefore the user levels his crosshair to the guns furniture however this is perhaps not the level of the barrel slot and HOP???

what i was suggesting is this: if the hop was fine, and the scope was the only problem, then the bb would NOT curve, it would move diagonally. thats what happened on both my KJ m700 and my TM gspec. the scope rings were low quality, and off center, causing the bb to move from the bottom left of the reticle to the top right. now, since the bb curls, im saying that IT IS the hop thats misaligned, so in essence, you are agreeing with me ;)

No mate theres two issues being confused here.....

For the bb to travel diagonally it would mean the the scope is calibrated incorectly, this problem is solved by realigning using the dials on the scope.

However what Bushman is getting to is that if your scope is NOT sat square on the top of your rifle in line with you hop (ie your crosshair is dipped either to the left or right hand down) you WILL get curve on the pellet because as you raise the rifle to your eye you atomatically set the scope square (and tilt the rifle). It only has to be a tiny bit out on a rifle for there to be a problem on a STOCK rifle, we have discussed that higher powered rifles (either gas or upgraded) are even more suseptable to this however still search for definate proof in our new TANAKA range.

To test this on an extreme level try banking your gun onto one side to see the results. By turning your gun on its side the hop is esentially giving the pellet side spin instead of top spin and causing the CURVE effect.

Before panicing too much loosen the scope rings and twist the scope level in the opposite direction to that the pellet is curving off in (usually very minor adjustment required). If twisting the scope makes no difference I would follow other avenues but this is a good place to start as it saves stripping your gun :D

I had a recent problem in cleaning my LTR, I knocked the HOP out of alignment which gave me a great swerve shot however proved very unpredictable :P

tbh I would put the curve down to the scope not sat level, a common folly I have fallen into in the past. :D

Its the freakin gun.

My Dragunov shoots 458-465 (confirmed with 2 different chronographs) with a .3 BB. Since I have upgraded it to shoot that speed, I have had a 3-4 foot curve to the left at 80 feet with no wind.

logic dictates, that you caused the problem, to the freakin gun.

someone is doing homework on SVDS

it doent USE a top mounted scope with rings it USES a russian posp1  CAST sidemounted on.  ITS A ONE PEICE SCOPE

It doesnt matter where the scope mounts if it or the cross hairs aren't sat level it will cause a curve.

As there is no scope there are a number of things it could be......

Might sound a stupid question but how are you firing it, off a bipod? just by shouldering it? Have you tried tilting the gun in the opposite direction to the curve?

There may be grease on your hop unit or it may not be seated correctly. As the pellet is curving it would suggest there is both top and side spin caused by either the HOP or some resistance in the barrel. I have suffered the same problem from rust in my barrel before. Time to take it apart I guess :( ......

The way the inner barrel is mounted in the breech can cause this problem.

There are 3 grub screws in the breech to tighen the inner barrel in place - if you tighten one side more than the opposite side, the inner barrel then sits too far left or too far to the right. Try adjusting these grub screws and then test-fire the gun to see if it makes a difference.

The SVD will always shoot "diagonally" - the scope was offset to the left because the prototype SVD used stripper clips to load through the top of the gun. The rifle was redesigned but the scope was not. You choose what distance you would like the bb and the reticle to meet at when you zero the scope...

I had a similar problem and never really found the solution, even though I managed to fix it. I don't use Teflon BBs either just for the record.

I stuck a Prometheus SP190 in mine and found no matter what weight I used, I got a nasty 'flick' to the right before the BB started to drop - its flight was pretty straight initially.

I took the hop out, changed the rubber for a harder Guarder hop-rubber and put it back together - same problem although slightly worse with the flick! Better hop response however on the lighter weights. Took it out again, reseated the hop and voila - never had a problem since. In all I re-seated it more than twice but it just seemed to fix itself! Another 30 minutes in the garden setting up the POSP and I was away - even shouldering the rifle I've never had a problem with 'turning' the rifle to look down the scope easier - the cheek piece aids in this, but I have foudn it strange to use a normal sniper, as I find my head seats differently when handling the SVD.

Hope you solve your problem mate - it can be really frustrating continually stripping an drebuilding it - thank the lord it's not a difficult process though!!

Archived