scopes.

MooCow

basically i just want info on what scopes the longer experienced snipers use.

and for what reason.

scopes in general are chosen to that person's need and taste etc. but i just want to know what scope you guys have and why... or which would you like in the future and why.

i'll start off here...

i have a tasco 3-9x50 red illuminated.

got it from someone i know a while back. got it cheap and was a nice scope.

it had quick eyeball so it's quite forgiving on the eye relief

decent range of zoom from a low mag. level

PX adjusted to 35yards so it's good for airsoft.

big obj lens so i can see a clearer sight pic without forking out lots of money for a smaller scope with better quality glass.

it's a 30/30 reticule because it's airsoft, i dont use mildot to compensate for the shot, i guesstimate and i wanna see more on the sight pic

what i would like to replace that.

if not mentioned here, same as above

a scope with similar zoom level

one with a sun shade

not bothered about illuminated because i dont play night games enough to warrent it.

finger turret adjustment instead of the coin ones.

Not a sniper as such, more a DM, but I alternate between a carry-handle mount Colt replica 4x20 for indoors, and a TASCO 3-9x40 on a carry-handle RIS for outdoors.

The 4x20 is pretty good and reasonably accurate, with a pretty open eye relief window so it is good for standing or prone. The TASCO is more for spotting, but usable up to 6x. Only problem is, the eye relief has to be pretty much spot on, and the aim point is so much higher than the barrel that it has to be used with the bipod on the cover you are using, or the shot wont clear the cover. This gives a pretty high profile, not ideal.

Unfortunately, both are coin-ops :(

I have identical 3-9X40 on both G-SPEC and M14. Both are Simmons cheaper range of Deerfield scopes. They are ideal and a bargain for the price. I think the optics are still better quality than the cheapo TASCO copies you see al over EBAY. I had a 3-9X50 illuminated reticule, but swapped it for yet another 3-9X40, as I just think they are perfect for this sport (it's on permenant loan to another hunter I know).

I suggest you go for a scope with a good, wide angle field of view if possible.

I also have a 1.5-5X20 GAMEKEEPER (Simmons Super night view, whitetail classic) compact scope that I got for a song from a local gun shop second hand. The optics are amazing quality and excellent for low light.

Light index of that scope is 20 divided by 1.5 = 13.333 identical to 40 divided by 3.

People shun smaller optics most of the time, but as long as they are quality glass then it doesn't reduce the performance at low light. Hey, the SUSAT is a 4X20 and that is better than you might expect due to quality glass. The smaller front objective means you are much less likely to be given away by it. Larger scopes, mean a big circle can often be the feature that sticks out espescially at 50m or less.

I use the GAMEKEEPER scope on my M40a1 despite it being the longest ranged rifle I have. I use 1.5 mag for spotting and crank it upto 3 for shots. At 1.5 mag the scope is the widest angle you will see and avoids tunnel vision as it has a field of view nearer binoculars.

If in doubt, then buy a decent brand 3-9X40 is my advice. Mildot reticules do look nice (and practical) but I don't have one, so cannot comment. My fave brands of scopes are SIMMONS and NIKKO STERLING (gold crown) btw.

Illuminated scopes are pretty much a gimmick, as I find that if you light up the cross hair in low light conditions/night then it just makes your pupil close down and therefore your eye collects less light.... also I noticed that many people with them often leave them turned on by mistake and run the batteries down :flamed:

Good Hunting ;)

iirc red is the colour that doesnt mess with your pupils. i've tried seeing things at night with my scope (no i didnt walk around the streets at night with my gun, just the scope when i was taking my neighbour's dog to the park up the road for a walk)

and it was pretty good.

i also like the bigger scopes because i just cant afford decent smaller optics.

and i've just remembered another reason why i got the 50 scope too ;)

i scrim my vsr... front of it... (scope, front of stock, bipod and barrel) so if a thread or whatever you call it of the scrim net moves to the middle of your optic, it blurs out a higher %age of your view than compared to a bigger scope and it works reasonably well to eliminate glare... much better than you'd have thought...

all i need is a sun shade now :( forgot which computer i had bookmarked that link to the website that does aftermarket sun shades now :( and i dont think i want to make a tactical sun shade outta bog roll tube :(

I'm hardly an expert sniper, But I've got an SMK 3-9X40 scope. Goes on anything I want it to, really. It's not that great at the moment, mainly due to my bolt-action rifle being a slightly borked USR and the only other gun with an available rail is a P90.

That said, the optics seem okay; I'm no expert on them, but they're nice and clear. Mil-Dot reticule, too.

Best Bit; It was about £30. Job Done!

Second hand (Was as new) Hawke Eclipse 3-10 x 44.

I wanted a new scope after selling the cheap leupy replica I had. Trawling the net I came across it for the bargain price of £35.

Excellent optics, with a fast focus eyebell and quick adjust zoom ring. Fingertip turrets are also a nice touch. The special light gathering lens coating gives good light gathering as does the objective size, though the purpleness of it in some lights does point me out a bit (I'll be getting a proper ARD at some point).

I'm only gutted really as I bought it due to thinking it was sunshade compatible, and then found it wasn't. I still want one for it, but don't want to sell the scope as it is really nice otherwise. I have some alu tubing that might one day become one if I get around to it and find a way to fit it securely !

If I had the cash I'd get a Leupy M1 replica, or another nice rs scope with a 30mm tube such as one of the nikko sterling nighteater scopes.

well, i am not so experienced with sniping in airsoft yet, though i started about 6 months ago and have been doing really good due to previous experience and training with my teacher who used to train israeli soldiers. so i am not sure if i fit your profile, but whatever. :P

anyhoo, i use a 5th gen 4X32 range estimating scope with light up reticle.

i find that the magnification is pretty good, not to high not too low. eye releif and everything is notthe best, but it works.

the light up reticle though, i almost never use, and when i do use it i make sure it is really dim. this is because, and many of you should know this, your eye cannot adjust between the darkness outside and the lightness of the reticle, so it makes it harder to see

IR would just be standard night vision no?

upper spectrum is night vision and lower spectrum is heat.

Yeah cause if you have that in the day, your gonna go blind eventually! so it's more of standard night vision

Lower spectrum for the reason that you can spot anyone at night! Night vision is cool but it can still be difficult to spot someone farther away! Where-as the IR can show you how many enemies a converging on your area! :D

What?

you can use a night vision scope in the day fine, i used mine, you just dont turn it on and leave the lense cap on allowing minimal light to penetrate it.

Yes you can, but if your like me i get blinded by that really quick! (Mainly because i can't see that well in the day-time! I see excellent at night!)

Archived