Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi, my battery leaflet tells me not to charge them for more than 2 hours(overheating). I am bit confused now, since 1400/500*1.4 is 3.92 hrs. Should I take a break every 2 hours or what? thanks

Please share a little more detail about your charger unit. It's hard to say any which way without good basis. Offhand, I think your battery leaflet assumes charge rate almost 1C or equal the battery's rated discharge (fast charging). Compute for time using factor 1.2, or even 1.1.

Just the same, for sake of discussion, 500mA charge current relative to 1400mAh is in the range .3C to .5C (quick charging). At such rate, it's better to use the factor 1.3 instead of 1.4, in which case your charge time will work out to be about 3.64 hours.

Please share a little more detail about your charger unit. It's hard to say any which way without good basis. Offhand, I think your battery leaflet assumes charge rate almost 1C or equal the battery's rated discharge (fast charging). Compute for time using factor 1.2, or even 1.1.

Just the same, for sake of discussion, 500mA charge current relative to 1400mAh is in the range .3C to .5C (quick charging). At such rate, it's better to use the factor 1.3 instead of 1.4, in which case your charge time will work out to be about 3.64 hours.

thanks for reply. Charger is a typical one which comes with a CA m15 rifle.

output is DC9.0V/500mA

thanks for reply. Charger is a typical one which comes with a CA m15 rifle.

output is DC9.0V/500mA

Okay.. maybe that explains the 2-hour prescription.

Most TM AEGs were designed to use 800mAh stock batteries. It would be fair assumption that CA had initially envisioned that similar batteries would be used in their AEGs.

Computing charge time for the 800mAh pack using a 500mA charger..

( 800mA / 500mAh ) x 1.3 = 2.08 hours

if using x1.4 then = 2.24 hours

Hi Can anyone help me in using my charger and charging my batteries

I have the following charger TLP EXPRO II FUZZY LOGIC Charger which has the following modes;

(1). SLOW CHARGE (2). PEAK Charge (3). Fuzzy Logic Charge (4). Discharge (5). Three Cycles and Stop

Current Adjustment from 0.5A-1.5A-2A-3A-4A-5A-5.5A ( What are these figures,Is 0.5A =500milliamps ?)

I have the following Battery - Intellect 9.6V 1400mAh - Mini Type ( Ni-MH )

For the first charge I select SLOW CHARGE what Current setting should I use and how long would it take?

Whats then the best way to keep my battery in good nick with Charging mode and current adjust after first charge. If possible give an example and charging times?

My understanding is as follows If I select Slow Charge and set Current to 0.5A ( is This 500ma) I will have a charging time of 3.92 hours Would this be correct?

(1400 mah / 500ma x1.4 =3.92 hrs)

If someone could help me on this I would be pleased.

Hi:

Actually your understanding is almost right. As a professional battery factory I suggest if you are not in a hurry to use your cells I think 0.2c charge your cells will more good. that means you may use 280mah in order let your packs full charged you may charge 6-7hours.

Now in the market there is so many charger they are not the same quality so if you select a good one it will be good use and also will not let you consider more it have time contral voltage contral and also -△V contral etc. if you are in a hurry to use your packs High quality charger will charge your cell with high current at the beginning when it will be ready it will charge your packs with lower current to let your packs well charged.

we suggest you if your packs did not use for 2-3 month you may let your packs charge and discharge 3 times then the packs will be well uesd but in the middle of 3 times charge and discharge you may let packs stop at half an hour.

If you still have any questons please write to me

Bismark

Okay.. maybe that explains the 2-hour prescription.

Most TM AEGs were designed to use 800mAh stock batteries. It would be fair assumption that CA had initially envisioned that similar batteries would be used in their AEGs.

Computing charge time for the 800mAh pack using a 500mA charger..

( 800mA / 500mAh ) x 1.3 = 2.08 hours

if using x1.4 then = 2.24 hours

makes sense. thanks ;)

one more thing-iam discharging with simple marui discharger-for my NiCD its wrking great-discharged(when red led is off) to 0.9-1Volt/cell, but with NiMH its going down to 0.5Volt/cell!! Is this normal, or better not to discharge nimh pack????

thanks

one more thing-iam discharging with simple marui discharger-for my NiCD its wrking great-discharged(when red led is off) to 0.9-1Volt/cell, but with NiMH its going down to 0.5Volt/cell!! Is this normal, or better not to discharge nimh pack????

IF your charger has full charge detection, THEN no need discharge the NiMH pack.

IF the charger is a very simple unit that requires manual intervention, then you have to discharge the NiMH pack before recharging. This is so that residual charge is drained, charging starts at baseline and using the charge formula does not result in overcharging.

What voltage NiMH pack are we talking about.. 8-cell 9.6v?

IF your charger has full charge detection, THEN no need discharge the NiMH pack.

IF the charger is a very simple unit that requires manual intervention, then you have to discharge the NiMH pack before recharging. This is so that residual charge is drained, charging starts at baseline and using the charge formula does not result in overcharging.

What voltage NiMH pack are we talking about.. 8-cell 9.6v?

its 8.4V NiMh chinese pack, stick

I have simple ansmann charger(AC48)-mostly i drain battery in gun, then drain it "to zero" with marui discharger and then fully charge

One more thing, I have older batteries 9.6V(nicd) which wasnt used for maybe 2, 2and half years -there was stored discharged-whats the best to get them to full condition???

its 8.4V NiMh chinese pack, stick

I have simple ansmann charger(AC48)-mostly i drain battery in gun, then drain it "to zero" with marui discharger and then fully charge

It's possible the pack may have a cell or two relatively weak cell.. such that when discharged the weal cell(s) reaches 0v.. hence the very low .5v per cell average. That's a situation already bordering on cell polarity reversal. I would suggest you constantly monitor the voltage while actually discharging, and terminate when voltage reading dips below 7v.. and don;t wait for the discharger LED to die out.

One more thing, I have older batteries 9.6V(nicd) which wasnt used for maybe 2, 2and half years -there was stored discharged-whats the best to get them to full condition???

Do at least 3 charge-discharge (conditioning) cycles in immediate succession.

The best way to store batteries is to discharge cells INDIVIDUALLY to 0v. Of course, that's kind of hard to do with an assembled pack, more so one shrink-wrapped (but it's not impossible). Anyway.. I myself stored RC NiCad packs for more than 5 years and still found them at least 90% operational afterwards.

Almighty>

theres a cheap charger on sale here, Iam thinking of buying one for me-what do you think bout it??? its with deltapeak, discharging function, is it good for formatting my 9.6V packs?? more specs:

MW6168

Also need one spare battery for my AK 47 S - cant decide what will be better solution - 8.4V stick battery to upper reciever, or 9.6 xlarge, and will use battery pouch taped to body-what do you think??

Thanks for all your advices

The specifications state:

Model : MW 6168V

Name : Manual Universal Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery Charger with DV Detection and Discharge Function

Technical Information

• Rated voltage : 230VAC
  • Rated input power : 28W
  • Charging current : 500/1000mA
  • Charger type : Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery Charger
  • Application : R/C Models
  • Charging supervision : -dV check
  • Discharge function : Yes
  • Frequency : 50 Hz
  • Testing function : No
  • Battery type : Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery
  • Input method : Desktop
  • Output power : 14W
  • Output voltage : 2.8/5.6/7.0/8.4/9.8/11.2/14.0V Selectable

I'm not sure why, exactly, the manufacturer calls it a MANUAL universal charger, at the same time state the unit has peak detection. Most probably, it only has auto cut-off at full charge.. but the charge current, output voltage and discharge mode has to be manually set. Discharge termination most likely requires manual intervention as well.

The charger seems sufficient enough for most charge/discharge application.. including conditioning.. BUT because of the possibility of forgetting to stop the discharge function at proper time, the user will nonetheless have to constantly or regularly monitor the process.

so, from these specs, it WILL charge 9.6V pack with 500 or 1000mA-is that real?? so 1200mAh pack should be fully charged from empty in less than 2hours with 1000mA ??Is that right??

how could I monitor discharge state of battery-I have some eletricians multimeter here, just connect it to battery leads???

this charger is for around 30$-dont u know about some other charger with similar specs in similar price???

so, from these specs, it WILL charge 9.6V pack with 500 or 1000mA-is that real?? so 1200mAh pack should be fully charged from empty in less than 2hours with 1000mA ??Is that right??

Well.. it's common enough to find 240 VAC-to-12 VDC converters (that's basically what most chargers are in the first place).. and use it to charge NiCads and NIMHs. And yes.. set at 1000mA output, it can charge an "empty" 1200mAh battery in about 1 hour 26 minutes. At 500mA, the 1200mAh pack will take a little over 3 hours.

how could I monitor discharge state of battery-I have some eletricians multimeter here, just connect it to battery leads???

Connect the meter parallel to the battery while actually discharging...

perfect-will take it soon, and let you know how it works..thanks

Just a precaution - closely observe the initial use of the charger. Take note of heat build up in the battery. At 1000mA, the charging current is almost equal the battery's discharge rating.. and temperature rise may overtake actual charging progress. Overheating may occur even before peak voltage is attained.

Can I join up two mini 8.4v 1500mah firefox batts up to make a nunchuk style battery? Cant see why not but thought Id ask anyway, did have a search but came up blank.

Thanks for any info you can help me with.

Yes.. of course you can.

Just keep in mind that normal nunchuck batteries are wired in series. 4.8v on each stick wired in series adds up to 9.6v.

If you wire two 8.4v 1500mAh packs in series.. you'd get 16.8v 1500mAh. The gun's ROF would go insanely high, but the total running, or operating, time would just be a little longer than with just one pack. The setup will allow cranking much stiffer springs, but only for a short time.

If you wire the packs in parallel.. then you'd get 8.4v 3000mAh. The ROF would improve a little bit.. and the runtime would extend to twice as long. The gun motor will have a little easier time cycling the spring/piston.. but just barely strong enough for major spring upgrade.

A few words of advise...

Use plug connectors to effect the serial or parallel wiring. Doing so will allow you to disconnect the two packs and charge/discharge them separately. If your charger is just a simple basic unit, you'd have to be charging the packs individually anyway. Most chargers can only charge an 8-cell sereis.. most advance models can take on, at most, 15 cells. It's not advisable to charge parallel packs simultaneously. When connecting in parallel, make sure both packs are of same rated capacity.. and both fully discharged, or fully charged when you plug them together. NEVER connect unevenly charged packs (the weaker battery will leech off the stronger one.. and the likely resulting unregulated current transfer will almost be as hot as a short circuit).

I have an ansmann ac48 type charger and I was planning to buy an Intellect 8,4v 1400mAh mini battery and I was just wondering how much time I have to charge that battery. :unsure:

And in the rear of the charger reads this text:

Battery Charger

PRI.:230v~50hz

SEC.:4,8v...350mA

9,6v...150mA

Thanks in advance! :)

I have an ansmann ac48 type charger and I was planning to buy an Intellect 8,4v 1400mAh mini battery and I was just wondering how much time I have to charge that battery. :unsure:

And in the rear of the charger reads this text:

Battery Charger

PRI.:230v~50hz

SEC.:4,8v...350mA

9,6v...150mA

The charger has two output settings; 4.8v and 9.6v. Use the higher voltage setting and compute the charge time using the 150mA value.

( 1400mAh / 150mA ) x 1.4

= 13.06 hours 4 minutes

= 13 hours

If you want to be "splitting hairs" about the voltage difference, 9.6v 150mA works out close to 8.4v 170mA.. so you may also compute as follows

( 1400mA / 170mA ) x 1.4

= 11.53 hours

= 11 hours 32 minutes

So.. if you want to be play it safe and conservative, charge only for 11.5 hours. If you want to maximize, then charge for 13 hours.

no. of cells/charging rate/charging time for 100mA

4/350 mA/ 24min

5/300 mA/ 29min

6 /250 mA/34min

7/200 mA/40min

8/150 mA/ 56min

charging times for empty batteries with ansmann 48 (from importer website), mine is giving 140mA for 8cells, and 170mA for 7cells

I would charge your battery for 1400*1.4/170 = 11.5 hrs

charging times for empty batteries with ansmann 48 (from importer website), mine is giving 140mA for 8cells, and 170mA for 7cells

Hey! How about that!? As per your actual(?) reading, current flow is 170mA for 7 cells (8.4v). In my case, I just computed it based on the given 150mA at 9.6v (8 cells).. and got 171.xx mA

Archived