Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

Hey guys

Ok n00bie queation...My CA SCAR takes my 600mAh Ni-CD but dosent want to use my Ni-MH. So i take it a gun that uses a Ni-CD wont take a Ni-MH? And why wont it? :blink:

That shouldn't be the case. Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh/Li-Po... they're all batteries that have output, they just have different chemical make ups and require different approaches to usage. The problem you're encountering might be the voltage of the battery. I know my buddy's CA SCAR wouldn't work with a 8.4V battery but had no problem with a 9.6V battery. The 8.4V battery just wasn't strong enough to power the gun. If you have a 9.6V battery handy, try that instead.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got my battery yesterday, a Intellect MINI 8.4V 1400mAh NiMH and my charger, a SUPER NiCd RC Airsoft Battery Fast Charger 4.8-9.6V. At first I set it to charge fast (3-6 hours) and it didn't seem sufficient so I started charging it standard (10-12 hours). I woke up and plugged it in to my CA M15A2C and nothing. I looked at the fuse and sure enough it had blown or been damaged. So I went to Radio Shack to get a replacement fuse. I pop in the fuse and plug in the battery and the gun makes a rrrn noise and then nothing.

From what I've read I still need to charge the sucker for much longer time then the subsequent charges. I leave for work soon and I was planning on leaving it plugged in while I am gone.

Is it just that I didn't charge the battery long enough the first time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ahh, ok. Well it's says 100v-240v AC.

######. If I did over charge it, now what?

100-240v AC is the imput voltage required by the charger.

It should have on it an output voltage in DC, and mention how many mA current output it has, you need that to work out how long to charge a discharged battery for.

What to do after over charging a battery? Dispose of it responsibly and buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks R22 for the great info, but I've bought a smart charger with a light on it and it says for 2.4- 14.4v battery packs, and it's constant charge current is 500mA.

I just bought a 9.6V Strikalite NiMH which is 1.3Ah and it says charge at 130mA for 15 Hrs. Will my smart charger do this for me? and then just switch it off when the light goes green?

Also, i charged my first battery which came with the gun on the same charger, but didn't use an extra long charge, just until the light went off. I used it once, and now I've let it discharge for 2-3 months. Will this damage thebattery? It's NiMH 9.6V 1100 mAh?

Thanks, in anticipation, Kris

The smart charger should detect when the battery is fully charged and then cut off so just wait until the LED goes green.

As for the 2-3 month battery, I'd use a discharger to make sure it's fully discharged before recharging it. Although not totally necessary as it's a NiMH so you should be able to just charge it as is.

100-240v AC is the imput voltage required by the charger.

It should have on it an output voltage in DC, and mention how many mA current output it has, you need that to work out how long to charge a discharged battery for.

What to do after over charging a battery? Dispose of it responsibly and buy a new one.

*Sigh* Ok, well... Thanks, Xaccers. Here's a picture of my charger.

50_1.JPG

New battery and charger here I come... Eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

does it say what the mah output is on the back or any type of A rating? without knowing this it would be very hard to find out how long it would take to charge any battery

you are reduced to feeling the batteries for warmth, that usually says when theyre done allthough not very scientific

i use a propeak charger, very robust & simple to use, plug in the battery, select .5a, hit the button, beep beep beep all done and fit another

Question - Im now going to fit a external battery box with large battery. Can I keep the original in its foregrip and still use it? Connect both batteries negative to ground and route the positives into a switch on the ext. box and then the fuse?

scratch the switch option, far more hassle than its worth, running a 3300 gp so Ive got power for more than enough and the box can easily thrown open and a spare thrown in

is the gun common ground? can it be used from the battery so I have only the red to route around?

Is it safe to fully charge an Ni-MH battery, fire off a dozen rounds, store the battery for a week, and then reuse it without discharging and charging?

YES. You may use it.. as many partial intervals as you want.. until it finally runs out of power. It will make little or no difference. For that matter, it's better running it down that way, than discharging residual power left by partial use.

NiMHs generally do not need discharging.. BUT.. it does benefit from being deep cycled every once in a while. Be advised, however, that there's no telling how much residual power is left by partial use. If/when using a smart charger that can detect full charge state, then you may recharge at any time, at any point of partial use. IF using a simple charger that requires user to determine charge time, and manual intervention.. best run the power down by use, or with a discharger.. so that recharging starts at "baseline" discharged state - it helps avoid overcharging.

Hey guys

Ok n00bie queation...My CA SCAR takes my 600mAh Ni-CD but dosent want to use my Ni-MH. So i take it a gun that uses a Ni-CD wont take a Ni-MH? And why wont it? :blink:

Assuming your AEG is stock.. it most likely requires around 8-10 amperes to operate. A 600mAh NiCad is able to discharge as much as 15C (15 times its mAh rating), which means it can give out 600x15 mA.. or 9000mA (9A). NiMH of same 600mAh rating can only do as much as about 10-11C.. more or less 6 to 6.6A. It would take at least 900-1000mAh NiMH.

Hey guys

Further to Almighty's explaination, as you're in the UK, pop along to www.component-shop.co.uk and buy some 1400mAh batteries from there for next to nothing.

Hey guys.

Im new in the AEG world, becouse i used to have a sniper rifle, so now i purchased a CA mp5 sd2 and a sanyo 8.4V 3300mah battery pack, the problem is that i just have this charger ...." Winstar automatic racing battery pack charger" it can works for 7.2, 8.4 and 9.6V and 1.3ah to 3.0ah. the "name" of the charger is NC.789A and is a smart super fast charger, and it seems that dont have anywhere a switch or something for a standard charge and is suitable just for 1300 mah- 3000mah.... so.... my battery is a 3300mah one, so the questions are would this charger works for my battery?? and for the first long charge what can y do?? charge the battery at 1.3ah for a long time??? or get a standard charger??? please i need help

sorry for my bad english.

this is the charger

CH-NC789A-WIN-2.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If I want to discharge my Ni-Cd battery, should I use a slow discharge or a fast discharge. For instance, is this a good discharger?

No.. it will overdischarge the battery if left unattended.. which is of course damaging..

I haven't read the whole thread, it may be flaming or repeating or spamming to the readers.. but I really do advise everyone here to get a good charger/discharger which shuts down the charge by delta-peak detection. It may be a big investment, but it will make your batteries last much longer. In fact this is actually cheaper in the long term, because you don't have to buy new batteries often.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not to sure on this stuff. Can someone help me out please. I have a 10.8v 3300mah battery and my charger charges at 1000ma. If I discharged my battery and then charge it for 3 hours, would my battery be charged 3000/3300 ? Is that how it works?

3300 / 1000 = 3.3

.3 * 60 = 18

Charge time: 3 hours 18 minutes  

Or should I use the equation I heard some other people mention? 

3300 * 1.4 = 4620

4620 / 1000 = 4.62

Charging time: 4 hours 37.2 minutes

The battery isnt new.

God.. i am so confused with this... i don;t think i got this charging stuff properly so i fear i have broken a couple of batteries already

I recent bought a NIMH 3300mah 8.4 v crane stock batteries. i connected it up to the TLP expro 2 at 2 amps.. it fast charged in like 1 hour or so. Is this even fully charged?. the chinese guy at the shop told me.. if it is charged properly, the battery should be warm., and i should recharge (top up again)

Is my battery broken.. or my charger broken.. or am i an idiot?

hmm 1 hours seems a bit fast is the battery new? all new batteries need to be trickeld charged for a good few hour first.

Your charger is fine and your battery is also fine.

try a trickle charge if its a new battery.

Im not to sure on this stuff. Can someone help me out please. I have a 10.8v 3300mah battery and my charger charges at 1000ma. If I discharged my battery and then charge it for 3 hours, would my battery be charged 3000/3300 ? Is that how it works?

3300 / 1000 = 3.3

.3 * 60 = 18

Charge time: 3 hours 18 minutes  

Or should I use the equation I heard some other people mention? 

3300 * 1.4 = 4620

4620 / 1000 = 4.62

Charging time: 4 hours 37.2 minutes

The battery isnt new.

CORRECT.

The formula is better expressed

( battery mAh / charger mA output ) x 1.4 = charge time

..where the compensation factor 1.4 is taken into consideration after the charge current has been established. This is because the factor needs to be adjusted as the charge current increases.

At charge rate at 1/3, or less, of the battery rating.. you may use 1.4. At closer to 1/2 or 50% of the battery rating, it's better to use 1.3. At charge current close to equal the battery rating, it's best to use facgor of 1.2. Heat builds up faster at high current, so lowering the factor shortens charge time, thus avoiding overheating the cells.

Archived