I'm scared of <6.04mm tightbores :o

GuzziHero

Okay, so its not a proper sniper, its an SDM. But Im planning to put a barrel extension on my 1J M16a2 Rifle as part of the Delta conversion and this includes fitting a 590mm barrel. I can actually put in up to 610 but noone makes one that length...

Anyway, Ive been looking at the tightbores and I currently have a 6.04 fitted. Problem is, Im scared that going smaller will cause fouling problems. I usually play in a dusty factory setting so that worries me, as well as choice of BBs being limited because of the tight bore. I am planning to clean the barrel after each game (which will be easier if I can find a PSG-1 length cleaning rod!

What kind of barrel would you guys recommend? Im asking here as you are more likely the experts on the subject. Im currently stuck between a Systema 6.04 or Madbull 6.03.

Cheers in advance :)

I've never seen any difference in reliability between a 6.04 and a 6.03 barrel.

I have seen differences in performance though.

TBH, I have no idea why anybody is buying 6.04 barrels when 6.03 ones are available.

I'm over the moon with the prometheus 6.03 barrels I have. Nothing negative to say about them at all. Only ever seen one madbull barrel and it looked fine.

I've had a 6.03 (cant remember the manufacturer) in my M4 since it was born....

Its had excels, ICS (black), blasters and goldfires through it without a single jam.

If you are going to go silly and get one of these X-Fire 6.01 barrels, then I suggest you only use SGM's through it, because they are reputed to be the most consistent BB on the market.

Excel quality is pants.

Its ironic. Me and Ghost both got warned not to use the Airsoft Armoury BBs that came with our starter kits because of deformed BBs and plastic giraffes. Next game, we got a plastic giraffe each...out of bottles of Excel :o

Okay...so a short poll then. Should I:

a) Do not extend the barrel, get a 509mm barrel of 6.03 bore

B) Extend the barrel, get a 590mm barrel of 6.03 bore

c) Dont bother extending, keep my 6.04 TN in there

I know about the big dispute on whether barrel length adds range (I believe the consensus was 'not'). But does the argument sway towards longer barrels when tightbores are involved as volumetrically, a 6.03 will have less volume than a 6.08 of the same bore?

Sorry for all the Q's...I just want to get what is for the best :)

Hmmm, I have a 6.01 barrel, and never ever had a jam, or anything like a jam. I use TM .3's and White Straight .36's though.

EDIT: sorry, that's in my VSR-10, I have a 6.04 systema in my M4, it's never jammed, and I haven't been buying the best bb's for it (ie: Matrix..) You should be fine : )

By installing a Tight Bore Barrel 6.03mm barrels will often increase velocity 10-15FPS and reduce grouping size by approximately 25-35%. While a

6.04mm barrels will often increase velocity 5-10FPS and reduce grouping size by approximately 20-30%, but due to tight tolerances, I reccomend only using .20's or higher.

I stayed away from Madbull because of one thing: Aluminum. Aluminum is "softer" than brass, so it tends to change in diameter in varying temperatures and can warp/bend if the gun is dropped. Sure it sounds tempting: a 6.03mm tightbore for $35, but I'd rather have something that is strong and scratch/warp resistant: Stainless Steel. Like I said, for $10 more than a Systema or Madbull barrel, you can purchase a Prometheus barrel here in the U.S. E-Hobby Asia on ebay has the Prometheus barrels at a very low cost. Just type in "Laylax (size of barrel)mm" in the search box to take a look.

I've owned two Prometheus barrels and have never jammed on single, and out of the two years combined, only jammed once on full auto while playing in a dusty old Junk Yard game.

So to sum it all up, I had a CA G36k and I wanted the same thing as you: Performance. So I opted for the Prometheus 6.03mm tightbore barrel and let me tell you, the groupings that I got with the Prometheus barrel were noticably tighter and more consistent when compared to the stock barrel. If you do not care about the price , then opt for the Prometheus Barrel. The KM barrels are very good as well, but I cannot say anything else about it since I do not have any experience with them. But I give you two thumbs up for the Prometheus barrel.

Hope this helped :)

6.03 prometheus.... blaster bbs

nuf said

But to extend or not?

---

Im trying to find a UK seller of the Prometheus 6.03. Cant find one. Damn, and I wanted it for this weekend :(

Incidentally...6-Mil are god damned thieves. Charging £49.99 for a Madbull barrel that Firesupport offers for £35 :o

cllwayzata - Ive been somewhat...surprised...by the lack of consistency even with a 6.04 barrel. And as there is a 24.5" barrel available for the AR15, and I happen to have a barrel extension...evil thoughts started to circulate ;)

Ive ordered a Prometheus 6.04 at 590 length. Thanks to everyone for your input ;)

Archived