Real Sword Type 97B Carbine

Reborn

Same here, without the cute. ;) (like the normal QBZ-97 more)

I gotta admit, despite my foolishly patriotic attitude toward anything non-USA (trying to fight off Kalashnikov lust :( ), the Chinese type 95/97 are very brilliant looking weapons. I actually mean "brilliant". Something about them just shout "intelligence"! Still have a hard time deciding whether they are nicer looking than AKs.

Best pic comparison next to AK:

2003050138140650406_fs.jpg

They are apparently (from what I hear from a few contacts who know PLA officers and such) very nice weapons to use - low on recoil and surprisingly ergonomic.

But of course the PLA aren't issuing them anymore cos they cost too much. Sigh.

I believe the Type 95 rifle is standard issue among elite PLA units - their marine corps and special forces, for example.

Personally, I don't think the Type 97 was designed with pure exportation in mind. I think it was designed along the same lines as the KAC SR-47.

I believe the Type 95 rifle is standard issue among elite PLA units - their marine corps and special forces, for example.

Personally, I don't think the Type 97 was designed with pure exportation in mind. I think it was designed along the same lines as the KAC SR-47.

The Type95 is only used by elite PLA and special forces units - and in photography shoots.

The Type97 was developed in the same stead as the SR-47 or SCAR-AK, you're right - allowing battlefield pickups and easing supply issues - and then was marketed as an export version for a bit of extra cash.

For most PLA soldiers, the Type 81 remains the standard infantry rifle.

Woah, I did not know that. All the pics I see of Modern PLA guys are shown holding Type-95s. Especially those overseas UN missions. I have honestly never seen a pic of a T-81 in used by the PLA since their Border wars with Vietnam in '79 and '84.

(Makes sense I supposed. :P)

Press coverage is key. Why have your soldiers lug around an awkward and ancient-looking AK variant when they could be seen holding the latest in modern bullpup technology?

The Type 81 isn't a bad gun at all. It's lacking in the visual department, but mechanically it's a hybrid weapon combining the best features of its parents.

They are apparently [...] surprisingly ergonomic.

As ergonomic as it might be, i don't think i could get myself to buy one. This is coming from a P90 user as well

i have a RS Type 97 but after using it for 2 games, i honestly cant say its very ergonomical. the firing selector is all the way in the back. and the mag release is under the ejection port and is a small button. but as long as you use cover to reload, or you have a large capacity ar15/m16 drum magazine, you'll be fine. i use a TOP 1000rd magazine on my RS type 97 now cuz reloading is seriously a *badgeress* to do during a game.

the PLA Type 95 would probably be more ergonomical b/c its mag release is AK style and is centered in the middle. the export type 97 was not made with ergonomics in mind b/c after all it's just an export gun.

see this vid to see how the type 97 is reloaded,

. awkward isnt it

of all the good qualities the RS type 97 boasts of, i definitely wouldnt say ergonomics is one of them

the good things are:

very good iron sights (4 settings, sights line up naturally)

high quality build material (polymer and forged CNC duraluminum)

easy field strip, very little tiny parts e.g. springs and screws

quick spring release

easy to change inner barrel, motor, gears, or any aeg part, easier than any other gun

very short overall length but boasts a 480mm inner barrel length

its more accurate than the g3 and ak47, but has a overall length of a AKS-74u

the bad things are:

ergonomics (my TM Sig550 and VFC AKs-74u have better ergonomics)

limited battery space. must use external battery for anything 8.4v+

the grip is too small, feels like youre holding a stick

i dont plan to buy a type 97b b/c its too short and the barrel length isnt as long as the type 97. plus i'd rather have a conventional non-bullpup gun with a barrel-level sight (not raised) for cqb so i can reload faster. such as the mp5 or g36 or aks74u

P.S. i dont think the p90 is ergonomical at all. i really had to tighten my head, body, and arms to aim thru the sights. i felt like a turtle or a porcupine curled up in a ball. and i'm not that big a guy either. i'm 5'9" and i weigh 160. the guns that are most comfortable with me are the AKs-74u, any SCAR/M16 (even tho i dont own any), or the Aug

That guy is an idiot.

Americans are the only people in the world who think mags "dropping free" is a good idea, if you did that in the British army you'd be doing pressups until your eyes popped out.

The way to change the mag is blatantly (and I haven't even held the rifle) to cant the whole rifle over to the right, grasp the mag in your left hand, extend your finger, press the button and withdraw the mag under control, put it in your pouch and replace it with another.

Just like the L85, it seems to me that this is a piece of ######, in fact the M4 is the one with the ###### ergonomics since you need two hands to do it (unless you let it drop free, which is retarded).

Actually, there are still quite a few PLA units wandering around with Type 56s, wondering when they're going to get the updated Type56-1 with the stamped receivers. :D

That being said, I loathe the Type81. It's ugly like an ugly, fat, balding hippy woman who was dropped from the ugly plane into an ugly forest full of ugly trees and landing in a massive steaming pile of ugly that was deposited by a passing ugly beast. Except the Type 81 is slightly uglier.

Actually, there are still quite a few PLA units wandering around with Type 56s, wondering when they're going to get the updated Type56-1 with the stamped receivers. :D

That being said, I loathe the Type81. It's ugly like an ugly, fat, balding hippy woman who was dropped from the ugly plane into an ugly forest full of ugly trees and landing in a massive steaming pile of ugly that was deposited by a passing ugly beast. Except the Type 81 is slightly uglier.

At least it's something different. Although I think rather, it looks like it fell out of the *albartroth* of the ugliest bird in uglyland at the top of the ugliest uglytree and hit every ugly branch on the way down to the ugly ground before being trampled to extreme uglyness by a rampaging hoard of uglybears. ;)

the M4 is the one with the ###### ergonomics since you need two hands to do it (unless you let it drop free, which is retarded).

i think it's faster reloading a m4 than any other gun. you just use your right index finger to release the mag while grabbing the empty mag, pocketing it, and inserting a new mag. sure it's using two hands, but what else are you gonna do with your right hand while reloading?

and how the canadian guy reloaded his type 97 in the video is perfectly fine. after skirmishing with my type 97 twice and trying various reloading techniques, his way is the best and after a while, it becomes a natural hand movement to reload the type 97 and doesnt seem as awkward

At least it's something different. Although I think rather, it looks like it fell out of the *albartroth* of the ugliest bird in uglyland at the top of the ugliest uglytree and hit every ugly branch on the way down to the ugly ground before being trampled to extreme uglyness by a rampaging hoard of uglybears. ;)

I c wut u did thar.

bleh, I gotta come out and say that I love the Type 81, especially the 81-1, it just looks rugged and tough as a tool of war. Ugly to me is the SCAR with its prosthetic foot looking stock and the FN F2000 that looks like some sort of water gun. Type 97B would look much better if you replace the flash hider with a silencer....

Regardless, I love Real Sword as a company, they are made of win~

And apparently now the Type 97 rifle and carbine are being made available to the North American civilian market as well. They fire in semi-automatic mode only, of course. I saw them at a Canadian distributor's website. The rifle sells for a little less than $1500.

Archived