Magpul UBR public release on the horizon

aerodrew

I was just checking Magpul's website and it appears they updated the UBR(utility battle rifle) page with a release date and price.

$265, to be available on April 30, 2008

Even though this is a real steel part, there is a chance that it can be installed on a PTW, provided that the buffer tube threads are identical on the lower receiver so it may accept the magpul's proprietary buffer tube. I do see an area in the rear of the buffer tube where a screw is located, alluding to a possibility that removing this might allow for a battery power cord to run through this part, but that's just speculation for now.

You can see the screw in the rear of the buffer tube in this pic:

ubr_03.jpg

Unfortunately, Magpul's page warns that this part cannot be exported outside of the US without the proper export permit.

Page source:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?ma...products_id=187

I'd take a while gues that the only part of it that would require an export license would be the buffer tube. Note that it says that "This item or some of it’s components" can't be exported yada yada yada.

Without the buffer tube it may work. But would the stock work without the proprietary buffer tube?

Also, that thing looks DAMNED sexy :P

My understanding is it needs its buffer tube. Its oversized, and serves as a mount for the rails the stock rides on. It might be fudgable, though.

One could always email MagPul and ask if and when they will release this in an airsoft / Marui compatible form. They have stated time and again that they are committed to providing such products to the airsoft community... Though I think the AEG Masada may be dead now that they have sold the rights to Bushmaster.

Don't think the ACR is dead, because magpul "partnered" with bushmaster, so its not like they gave it away like armalite did with the XM16/AR-15. Anyway, this can probably easily be ported to a-s guns with G&P or guarders R-S to a-s buffer tube conversion.... Just need to mod it a bit... IN essence that is what magpul did to their stocks so it works with a-s, just look at the airsoft pics of the m93 stocks on redwolf.... the adaptor is just like the G&P one...

It's Magpul PTS you want to talk to. Not Magpul's main corporation. The main company often ignore most if not all Airsoft inquiries.

As for the UBR, I'm sure Magpul PTS has plans to release a PTS version (even if it's a rebranded real steel one).

Regarding the release date for the real steel UBR, I'd say the release date they've announced is a loose date. I talk to a lot of major real steel dealers (as recent as today as a matter of fact), and all of them say not to rely on the announced date as being accurate. Would be nice if it were true though.

Maybe Orca will chime in with info direct from Magpul PTS. :)

Ahh yes, well I did see a UBR stock attached to an airsoft M249 at the Magpul booth during Shotshow earlier this year

post-532-1207893606_thumb.jpg

Back then Sam did say they were planning on an airsoft UBR, but he had no set dates and it sounded as if the PMAG's and few other PTS projects (il Panels, MOE Accessoires, MBUShead of it.

I wish I had more solid info, but if I get some I'll def post it.

I'll tell you what, if magpul PTS decides to release this stock in an airsoft form, they should find a way to make a proprietary lipo battery that fits in the little cabinet on the stock. I'm sure it'll make a lot of people happy.

While that would be awesome, I'd be surprised if that happened. What would be more likely is that they develop the buffer tube to accept a commonly available battery already on the market. Actually, what would be even more likely than that, is that they simply make it so that the PTS UBR can be mounted on an AEG and call it a day. <_<

Archived