Reputation Suggestion

Not bashing the system, just making an observation, and therefore a suggestion, as I hate it when someone says "that am teh suxxorz" without a way to make it better:

I dunno if anyone really thinks that this is really a big issue, but when someone gives you a rep, the colour of the "Reputation Changed" thingie is always red, regardless of +/-1 repping. Now, this puts me rather on edge when I see this nasty red thing telling me that I have a reputation change. I know that red just happens to be more eye-catching, but I'd rather that a neg rep be reflected by red, and a +1 be shown in green.

I'm sure that it'd be a pain in the *albartroth* to change, and if it is, then nevermind.

Just restrict the whole 'Ghey Indiciator' thing to sales only - It's a pointless popularity contest at the moment and gives no indication of someone's knowledge level OR trustworthiness.

The Rep system is the worst thing about Arnies, full stop.

Cheers.

PS Sitting on the fence, moi?

Just restrict the whole 'Ghey Indiciator' thing to sales only - It's a pointless popularity contest at the moment and gives no indication of someone's knowledge level OR trustworthiness.

The Rep system is the worst thing about Arnies, full stop.

Cheers.

PS Sitting on the fence, moi?

It seems odd for some reason that the person who said that has a fair few rep points to his name. ;)

Yeah I know the system isn't always used as it was intended to be used, but you have to admit that it does still have some purpose. Some people do actually get positive reps for giving out good information or for being good sellers in the same way that people get negative reps for giving out bad information. Its just a pity that its not always totally accurate, but still, it has its uses. :)

Edited by Wedgie

I agree with Snowman ,it should be kept for important things such as sales only as the way it is just promotes bullying or fanboy-ism ;)

If it were used for sales and the rep reflected sales record it would help prevent many of the scammers currently seen in the Sales area now !

At the moment there is no good way of checking someones sales record as you have to sift through pages of "you am great because you live near me and I worship you" or " you am the sux because you not the IN crowd". This means that no one really looks for someones sales record when buying/selling and hence the problems in sales

Guys, you're spamming the thread... I'm just commenting that when you get a rep point, the "My Reputation" link should be the colour of the reputation comment.

Back to topic?

right, blatant spamming, -1's all round :P just joking :D

i agree, while i dont have the largest collection of +1's in the world, certainly not enough to brag about, i like my little collection all the same, and i dont have a neg rep as yet, which im proud of, so every time i see the reputation change light up my little heart sinks and i immediatly wonder what ive said or done wrong expecting the worst. so a colour change thingy would be good, OR have your new rep point pop up in a new message style window so you can see the green or red circle instantly rather than having to click to see which way its gone

as for the whole popularity contest thing, let them have it. the rep stats is like marmite, you love it or hate it. if you hate it dont use it, simple as that. but it should be more difficult to neg rep seeing as someone may get 5 or 6 negs for one post. i think one post, one neg rep. any more than one for the same offence should be removed automatically by the system, which would help to ease the abusing of the system

Perhaps those of us who 'don't get it' could have the option NOT to have a reputation at all?

Cheers.

oh snowman stop whining, on 144 different occasions someone has taken some of their own time to give you credit for something you did or said, and you act like this about it :waggle: theres a little thing i like to call gratitude, i show it when people do thinks for me out of the kindness of thier hearts

I'm with snowman on this one.

It's a completely pointless system because it's abused by a large number of idiots with

' LOL that post ROxxors roflcopter ' type rep's

At least some other forum rep system's are based on your behavior in sales making it actually a worthwhile system

All this is is who's got the more popular epenis pi$$ing contest

• 3 weeks later...

Can I suggest shutting it down, on the grounds it's eating up bandwidth and mainly full of people countering out each others negative rep points? Seriously, try it. Give someone a -1, look at their rep twenty four hours later, and anyone you've ever argued with will have given them a +1 for arguing with you. I'm not sure this is the best use of a server creaking under the weight of it's load.

:zorro:

I believe that (if there is a God) the current use of the reputation system will be addressed when the forum designed is overhauled. :)

No-one ever intended for the reputation system to be used in the (what I find to be utterly pointless) manner which it is today - I can't see anything useful about seeing how many members have posted pictures of their girlfriends up in a bid to get a few more numbers added after their name on the interweb after all. ;)

However last time when the system was introduced (prior to my being a mod) it was misused on such a vast scale that it became impossible to police and prevent it being used as we now see it used. Policing the reputation system on this basis may require a drastic (and I suspect somewhat draconian) rethink. :)

hmmm, I do remember a year or two ago, butting in and saying that it would be a good idea for sales... I just said the ebay thing could be a good indication of "bona fide sales"

But nevermind that.

As far as reputations as it is is concerned, I think the bar should show the number of negs as well as number of positives. So you don't just get a net score, but a two way indication.

Or perhaps a percentage indication instead of a count indication.

That'll ###### a few people off :D :D

like... if I got 50 +s and 50 -s, I'd be 50% and will probably get all kinds of PMs asking why the hell I have been given half negatives. Won't do the seller any good, should help deter any dodgey behavior [ theoretically]

If I only have 3 +s and 1 -, I'd be 75%. So would a person with 300+s and 100-s. Donno if that's a good thing or not, but definitely better than seeing people's 2000 rep points with no particular information about their misdemeanor until you click a few more times.

=======

Or - can the whole rep point system, change the sales rules to enforce better communication and less spam and simply... keep things simple. Occam's razor innit.

We could restrict the rep point nominations to mods and admins only, and only award them to regular selling members or regularly contributing members who participate in news reports, event/website organisation and what have you.

Edited by billymak
  • 3 weeks later...