The guide for an airsoft sniper

Flea

That would be a glorious day :)

But in the mean time there is the VFC M82A1.

Hopefully this thread wont get lost in the pages of arnies, and will be stickied if enough people put their 2 cents in as well...at least that way the increasing amount of people that want to play "sniper" in the airsoft world will have some kind of guide to follow. I see way too many people out in the local fields running around with the most gucci rifles only to get shot in the first 30 minutes of a game. :huh:

EDIT: Harry that is a very tempting event, and would go if I ever happened to be randomly stationed in the Czech Republic :P but who knows <_<

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been theorizing on wearing mirrored shooting glasses..Im thinking that since they mirror whatever is infront of the lense, it will provide just that much more camoflauge...anybody have an opinion on this? im always looking for those tiny things to blend in a little better.

thats what I was concerned about...sunlight..i guess if I was in thick vegetation it would be ok, with no sunlight present..but man I would be concerned if I was walking up on a sniper with mirrored glasses and I caught a glimpse of myself in the lense..odd. Oh well, ill stick with my oakleys cant go wrong with those.

Flea, if you are that concerned about someone seeing the whites of your eyes investigate the glasses that have a 1 way woodland pattern printed on the outside of the lens. When wearing them you can see straight through, but from the front your eyes are completely concealed.

I used to have a pair but they were shades and they were the only model available in the UK. The company is US based and sells non shade versions.

As for defending or attacking; it comes down to the fact that, if you are stationary, then it is far far easier to avoid detection. Ghillies and local camo only really work when you are stationary. Movement draws the eye and to "attack" you have to move close enough to take the shot.

My own tips on attacking a defended position, is not to attack. Instead you are probing to establish defensive positions. Your aim is to get into your opponents rear area or in amongst them with as quiet a gun as possble. This often involves a probe and withdrawal before a concealed flanking manuoevre and then trying to crawl into the rear. Also exploit the flanks espescially if the site is large and lets you just take the long route and stalk round the back.

Much of the time you can gather information on locations from sounds of firing and shouting. Pyros I guess indicate from even further off, where you want to avoid. Hearing is my stongest sense, in fact I had it checked (at work) and it was all way above average except base tones. I put that down to getting off military exercises several times, to find my ear defenders were nowhere in sight.

My peripheral vision is also excellent and I often notice movement in my peripheral that saves me.

Lastly, sixth sense is something that time served players develop. I cannot tell you the number of times it has warned me. In fact, here is an example from only last week. I was cycling a tough 18 mile off road section at full velocity and into a series of bends on an uphill gradient. The track has hedgerows at each side and due to the curves, LOS is no more than 80m. I wondered to myself if I would perhaps startle the often reported black cat (panther) in my area. It was seen on that route drinking water from a pool last year according to the paper.

I cleared 2 more corners and there in front, way ahead on the next straight, was sat a big black cat :wide-eyed: . I had to double take, as there was nothing to scale it next to and indeed it was just that; a large black cat..... but not a panther; just a big farm cat from the buildings 1 mile away. :huh:

How strange, I thought as I passed the area the cat had been, there was no way I could have seen it round all those bends or my subconscious been able to get a clue it was there. Yet something made me wonder, before it happened. Unexplainable. :spidy:

Anyway, I went back to the range this weekend and took a measure. It was interesting to see the "long range" target we set up, was 72m distance. Therefore the factory standard G-SPEC did manage 2 consecutive hits at 70m with 0.25g the week before!!!!! I plinked my MK23 socom pistol with 0.30g on GG and it could tackle a mansized target as far as 62m but it struggled to hit the 5.5 inch tree at that distance. Now if only they made attaching stocks and cheapo scope mounts (hope the chinese are tuning in for product ideas) :P .

Oh, you guys talking about hoping for better technology and longer range made me giggle, as I came from a "time before HOP". Turn your hops to zero next time you are on the range to see what it was like for several years of my gaming career. For me a factory standard rifle is impressive enough and the technology you speak of is here in the form of the V-HOP system. I doubt to exceed 300ft it can be done without much heavier ammunition and way higher power. This brings in many legality issues plus big safety problems too that require good protection. Personally for the few extra meters you will get from such a gun, I would prefer to do without, in order to maintain lighter protection.

Harry, good luck with the event. Please post up any results espescially photographs of each target with gun/ammo/distance etc... it would be greatly appreciated.

Good Hunting ;)

A very nice guide to be sure! i'll remember that when we go to war, or perhaps i should google sniper tactics?

i dont mean to put a downer on it - im sure you spent a good while doing your research!

im sorry but if you can find me an airsoft game where even half of those tactics are relevant i will salute you!

no airsoft is not real! - yes it is based on milsim - BASED being the operative word!

id love to put the above tactics to use in airsoft - beleive me i would!

but it just aint gunna happen! - the sooner more people realise its a game the better!

as for the 300ft range thing - my air rifle will only just - and i mean only just put a pellet out to that range! and thats if i elevate the barrel!

and thats a top of the range 750fps jobbie!

if you want to play with that kind of power wizzing round your head - all fool you!

the best tactics an airsoft sniper will ever learn are those that hunters use!

talk to a deer stalker/ghillie/bunny basher!

those are the best tactics for airsoft sniping!!

regards amsniper

the best tactics an airsoft sniper will ever learn are those that hunters use!

talk to a deer stalker/ghillie/bunny basher!

those are the best tactics for airsoft sniping!!

regards amsniper

Almost there with the rabbit shooting malarky :P

I often go rabbit shooting, if I am walking about I use a .22 air rifle, night time shoots though we use a .22 rifle (one that takes bullets, is it called rimfire?).

Anyway, pretty much all you have to do to shoot a rabbit is wait where they are going to appear, stand stock still or move very very slowly, they won't know a thing.

This would probably work in airsoft more if it wasn't for the big team coloured band you had to wear :D

Senor Bear, you need to swap your rifles over. Day shooting with the .22LR is so much more fun, as you can fire from much longer ranges at bunnies; as long as they are not skylined and with a decent backdrop. I certainly got some over 300ft away when I used to go with .22LR ;)

I am lucky as I don't have to wear an armband in Hunteering events :P . I have always had to identify my target before firing, as is the correct way to hunt. I presume milsim don't use arm bands and use different "uniforms" instead.

Freezing if stood up, can work if you see your quarry look around. I use that technique all the time, as my own style often puts me in situations where I end up following my opponent and trying to stalk close enough for a clear shot.

Some rabbits are far more alert and harder to stalk than others, dependant on how often they are hunted I guess.

To get experienced, you will have to spend lots of time in the field, but not necessarily Airsofting or even shooting. Just get out with a camera or pair of binocs and see what you can stalk and how close you can get to it unseen.

Hunt to Win :D

Senor Bear, you need to swap your rifles over. Day shooting with the .22LR is so much more fun, as you can fire from much longer ranges at bunnies

Ah but theres the rub!

The rifles belong to my grandfather who I go hunting with. During the day he uses the LR, I use the air rifle and we split up over the farmland :P I suppose in a way that means I have to use more patience and skill to get close enough to shoot, due to the restricted range, much like airsoft hunting at 1j I suppose.

I use the LR at night, because we use the 4x4 and spotting lamps, my grandfather drives and lamps, I shoot from the passenger side. Makes for an interesting evening I can say for sure :P. It is a nice little setup going on, more so when we have the farm owner's son reloading the mags in the back :D (5 round and 10 round mags). I also enjoy watching from the back of the 4x4 and reloading the mags, the pressure to reload makes it not only a challenge, but an exciting experience.

Some of these tactics apply even then (sort of). Headlights on, spot, headlights off, drive forward, headlights on, spot, repeat until in range, shoot.

Ive been looking for that camo wrap that sticks nice and tight to your rifle, well..looking for the cheapest place I should say. U.S wise...no offense gentlemen I hate ordering from the UK. I wont be needing it anytime, being summer and all..but its never too early to prepare for winter :D

P.S. rabbit hunting sounds pretty fun, ive never done it myself..really only stuck to buck but I cant imagine how youd stalk bunnies they are oh so gitty :) hahaha.

I would really like to try a season or two in africa..I hear its fairly intense :blink:

The difference being is that I want to shoot animals that are pests/need culling :)

IE pigeons, rabbits, and hopefully when the season comes, deer.

when is deer season in the UK? Ive got season coming up here..

as for the rifle wraps go..i got an idea for beginning airsoft "snipers"(trying to keep thread on topic) if you get some of the self-stick aid wraping(white) and make sure every wrap is VERY snug, it works like a charm and all you have to do is paint over whatever color you want. I gave it a test run just to make sure..

I suggest dusting the wrap however, because it gives it a more textured look and even with the tiniest appearance of a light color...you can never go wrong with dust painting. :waggle:

Even better than painting, Flea, you can get similar stuff already in camo colours: "Camo Form" or "camo wrap" will find you some sources.

I've only done the barrel of my gun so far, but it's a nice base for adding more materiel over the top. I suspect you could even jam foliage between the strips of wrap if you wanted to, it's fairly elastic :)

Even better than painting, Flea, you can get similar stuff already in camo colours: "Camo Form" or "camo wrap" will find you some sources.

I've only done the barrel of my gun so far, but it's a nice base for adding more materiel over the top. I suspect you could even jam foliage between the strips of wrap if you wanted to, it's fairly elastic :)

exactly what ive done. It really works like a charm, dont know why I figured this out sooner..maybe I did and just forgot <_<

Nice job, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing you do some submissions to ASGAR. Good information here, and although a lot of this isn't really useful in most matches, a lot of it is really helpful to give you that much more of an edge. Too bad the noobs don't read these things before they post...

5565IMG_1720.jpg

the front of my rifle is wrapped with the aid-stuff i was mentioning before..easily painted and if you let it sit for 30-45 minutes..will be soft as ever and you can bang your rifle around without hesitation. It is dusted with brown, and thus far has proved its effectiveness in semi-urban,woodland and desert environments.

This is just a sample shot,maybe in the next game or something my new ghillie will be complete..and you can see for yourselves how handy this stuff is. My oh my night ops are great.

I'm just a DM right now, saving for my sniper rifle. Good guide, I agree with the deer hunting tactics as long as you aren't one of those people who sit still all day and hope something walks in front of you. Anyone who hunts deer know they have far better senses then people, if you can sneak up on one of them you can certainly do it to a person in airsoft.

Flea perhaps you should cover basic marksmanship in your guide, I've met too many airsofters who can't shoot for *beep*.

All this talking of deer makes me anxious for deer season, I crawled 150 yards down a shale hill to shoot my buck last year from 40 yards with my mauser G98. :-)

The air rifle is good practice, I don't use a .22lr rifle much any more because of its range( or i use .22lr CB caps which are light sub sonic rounds), I prefer a pellet rifle or a .22lr pistol for hunting things like prarie dogs, rabbits and birds(except those I'm required by law to use a shotgun on) cause I have to sneak up on them and it hones my stealth skills.

All good stuff. I find looking for pigeons up in the trees to be good practice, because you have to watch out for twigs and leaves on the floor that could snap or make a lot of noise, it also forces you to move slowly, all good practice.

Edit: GREY squirrels are also good practice, they're like the target that will never run away, it will just hide around a tree or just jump to another branch. This allows you to move and wait in a slightly different position, for him to come back. They are far too inquisitive for their own good :P

Archived