University and guns?

flipsnip

Dunno why you wanna bring your airsoft models on to Uni grounds, actually my real question is, what the frick are you still doing on Uni campus grounds? :rolleyes:

I moved out the minute i could, and i got all my Airsoft stuff with me now, and had no problems. Just rent outside accomodations, they are ten times better then the crowd halls full of lazy buggers who can't even take care of themselves for 5mins. :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im at uni in london, and so long as you dont show them off youll be fine. they arent legally allowed to search your room or anything (theyre not even meant to touch anything) unless you flash the goods on cctv and they get the cops in, even then, they ARENT illegal, so youll be fine (so long as they arent uber powerful)

hbc.

im at MMU and i was in private halls for my 1st year

in my tenancy agreeements it stated "NO FIREARMS" airsoft guns are not firearms so i took some of mine withme.

i had an m60 delivered to my halls. with no troublke at all. remember in the uk they canonot stop mail reaching the intended recipitent under ANY circumstances. so you will get everything delivered.

anyway a few weeks later the halls people entered my flat (without permision or prior written notice) and attemped to remove the m60. unfortuatly for them i was in. informing them that

1) they can not enter my room without prior written consent and doing so is breach of contract.

2) removal of ANY of my goods is theft and will be upheld as such by family legal people (i have a large family with several businesses in it so we have our own people for this)

3) they aricles in quesiton are not prohoibited by the contract and as such i am not in breach of contract

4) any attempt to alter the contract is illegal unless i agree to the changes and sign it in its entierty again (to get around them changing the contract prohibiting them).

basicaly the halls people didnt like gun shaped things in halls (crack heads however were fine) and woudl attempt to bully there way around the law.

as for private houses (in 2nd year etc) they normaly say

no pets no sub letting (ill find mine to put up at some point so you can see what they say) unless with written consent from the land lord.

as fopr guns etc i have 15 in the house along with a shed laod of marchel arts stuff thats are my mates, enough weed smoking gear for a year in amsterdam and 2 lizards the landloerd is happy of rus to have them.

Well, I have a story:

Some guy on my hall bought a cheap UHC springer USP and shot people every once in a while. So a few of us bought cheap clear plastic EBBs and we have have hall wars, its really quite fun. Then one guy went overboard and bought a TM SOCOM. His roomate got drunk and used the SOCOM in one of the wars, kicked in my door, and shot me from about 6 feet away about 10 times. The resulting bruises on my neck and upper chest made me look like I just made out with a vampire. :P

The kid with the SOCOM just went all out and had a TM M4A1 delivered to the school a week or so ago. Its quite frightening, hehe.

But yeah, needless to say, our hall floor is in a constant state of being covered in small plastic balls. Our RA knows about it and doesn't really care, although another RA has complained once and a while (she's an uptight jerk about everything). One time a security guy walked right past me while I was holding the SOCOM, and said "What the hell is that?!" We explained, and he thought it was one of the coolest things ever, but told us not to be seen with it on campus.

I myself am not going to bring any of my GBBs or "real" guns up there, just my EBB.

Moral of the story: I dunno lolz. Wait, maybe: If you bring your crazy high-powered guns, make sure your drunk roomate doesn't shoot the ###### out of people.

Not to nitpick or anything guys, but;

... remember in the uk they canonot stop mail reaching the intended recipitent under ANY circumstances. so you will get everything delivered.

Really? I don't think thats quite right at all, there are plenty of situations where mail does not get delivered. Some the fault of the post office and some just their failings leading to other people twatting it up. Personally I have had the following happen to my parcels (sent and received):

Lost in the post i.e. stolen by postal office staff.

Delivered to incorrect address.

Tampered parcels delivered late.

Contents of parcel stolen but they had the cheek to deliver the scrap of paper with the address on!!

Delivered to wrong address, parcel opened, police called, over 2 hours of my company's time wasted while I explained it all and we waited for an HM Revenue & Customs official to travel 60 miles to see if I was a terrorist or not.

Customs delayed parcel, applied charges, didn't have any cash on me when they delivered so they sent the parcel back to a depot 20 miles further away than it needed to be for me to collect.

All of the above I would describe as `failing to get mail to the addressee/intended recipient` ;)

.... His roomate got drunk and used the SOCOM in one of the wars, kicked in my door, and shot me from about 6 feet away about 10 times.

Guess your lucky he never shot you in the eyes huh? Actually aiming at your face and neck while shooting is not the best practice when your not wearing goggles. Drunk or not the guy is a total pr!ck.

If your in halls however then join the airsoft society, if there isn't one then start it! You can be chairperson and secretary and that's all you need for a society :D

Sadly i tried this, but it fell through, the university were happy to have the society, but only if we only rented, and anyone with guns sold them, so members went to sites and rented guns... they have heard of people being shot by police officers when brandishing 'bb guns' and dont want that in thier union... dispite my comments about the security of airsoft and legal and medical cover at sites... its pretty much a no goer...

my recomendation? take them if you want them, skirmish, but keep a low profile... being known will only hurt things...

I was wearing shooting glasses, obviously, like everybody else playing. It was actually funny, and the guy isn't a jerk at all.. I don't think he realized at the time that the SOCOM shot more than twice as fast as the guns we were using. :P

Oh right, my bad I guess :P I was assuming that by `kicked my door in` you meant he just burst in on you not like in a game or anything. Why the hell were you in yopur room though if you were in a game???!! First place anyone would look for ya ;)

RM sucks. They don't give a frick about your stuff unless you send it by recorded/special delivery that is insured, cos it will mean they will have to pay for their (intended) mistakes.

I hate RM.

If i wanna send anything really expensive and important i send it via courier.

RM stands for "Right Muppet"

I'm in my first year at uni here in Chester, in private accomodation (got right royally screwed over due to my name - wtf?!), and there's nothing about firearms in the contract. Then again, the landlady doesn't know about my wee hobby :P

Both of my housemates do know, however, as do the majority of my friends here. They all think i'm a bit weird, but hey... I originally only had my HFC M190 when i arrived, which they thought was cool; since then i've gotten 3 more guns, and i have never, ever taken them out the house, nor have i stood at windows wielding them. Whenever people want to handle my weapons, i always ensure they're not loaded and i usually take the magazine out as well, just to be sure. Both of my housemates are also very conscious of eye protection, strangely, even thought i've only really talked about it once.

I keep my UTG shottie, G36C and L85A1 springer behind my door, none of them with the magazines in them, and my P226 and M190 are both kept in the drawers beside my bed. All the spare magazines are kept in my cross-draw vest, which is hung up in the cupboard, and the only box which isn't hidden away is the box for the springer, mainly cos i ran out of room to hide it in :P

Oh right, my bad I guess :P I was assuming that by `kicked my door in` you meant he just burst in on you not like in a game or anything. Why the hell were you in yopur room though if you were in a game???!! First place anyone would look for ya ;)

Heh, its cool. Actually, I had shut the door after running back to my room for more ammo, unknowning that he was even in the game, with that evil gun.

We also don't really play "if you get shot, you're out" we sort of just play "keep shooting each other a bunch until we quit."

lucky for me, i live in a college town (note the sarcasm). what i can tell u is that absolutely nobody here airsoft except for the ppl in high school. i assume its because the college (Ohio University aka OU) is the evil empire of our town. its so evil that it controls the local wal-mart (thats pretty damn evil). anyway, i think its because of the "fear" of the OUPD (OU police depart.).

back on topic, i think that most college students are too busy "studying", going to "quiet" parties, and drinking "non-alcoholics" (again, this is my hometown i'm talking about) but i did have a friend who airsofted while in OU but he lived in a frat house (which his parents owned) so i dont kno if you could take an airsoft gun inside the dorms. u might be able to smuggle some in though. like put it inside a violin case or cello case (depending on your gun size).

Carrion; the key word is `assuming`. You can't really base an argument on an assumption like RM dong its job because they lose over 1 million lettrs and parcels a year!! Its pretty much academic whether they can stop mail reaching the recipient if the postal service screws it up before even getting close.

And also, anyone it gets mis-delivered to can easily stop it reaching you by stealing it. Or opening it and calling the cops (& customs) which is a fun-fun situation all round. And if you think your Uni administration is above that sort of behaviour you are being quite naive; just because its not technically `legal` doesn't mean people won't do it ya know ;)

Teachers are as big a bunch of petty criminals as anyone else, I know that for certain.

My Dad was headteacher for 37 years. They are AS criminal as anyone else, some will be seriously so and some wont.

One of my tutors in college `lost` a lot of my coursework and made me redo months of work in a matter of days, needless to say it sucked. I found the original coursework locked in his private cupboard months later after requesting the key through another tutor, and promptly got the man concerned suspended from teaching. My entire course mysteriously disappeared after I left having not completed the final checklist, and without my 2-years-worth of coursework I could not of course have it re-assessed, so basically I had my qualification stolen from me. It went missing from college in the one week between the final day and me coming to look for it to have it independently assessed. In that one week was the one day when the thieving tutor was backon the premises to collect his personal stuff....

Other than that I could point you in the direction of a college tutor I used to buy weed from, a uni lecturer who has 11 points on his license and a handful of primary school teachers who are guilty of fraud, tax evasion and any number of general traffic offences you want.

Everyone is guilty of something ;)

Hi All

I don't know why people are taking risks with this. If I was back at uni I'd :

1. ask if i can have airsoft equipment in my hall room or a university designated storage facility (try and leave gun out of your question)

2. if they say no firearms, inform them that all your airsoft equipment is under 1J and therefore not a firearm but a toy, and far less dangerous than archery equipment

3. ask if they will allow you the same rights as paintball equipment since that should be something they are familiar with. Also remind them that paintball involves more energy per shot.

4. if they still aren't playing ball then leave your kit at home and keep petitioning them every so often, at fresher's fair speak to airsoft soc people and see if they can help out.

5. remind them airsoft is not an "air gun" ie no metal pellets that can do serious damage

Same goes for a landlord.

Just my 2c

regards

Raj

My Dad was headteacher for 37 years. They are AS criminal as anyone else, some will be seriously so and some wont.

One of my tutors in college `lost` a lot of my coursework and made me redo months of work in a matter of days, needless to say it sucked.

Hahaha. in my University, everyone ENCOURAGE the tutor to lose our course work, essay, and stuff, simply because if they do go missing we are automatically assigned 100% marks.

Woohoo!

:P

Happened to me last year, i wasn't exactly happy as i spent frigging 2 months on that project but at leased i wa the only one in my class that year to get 100% on that project.

:lol:

Thats totally bogus and illegal, I think you'll find ;) Thereby proving my point in fact :D The whole purpose of Uni is to teach people about the real world, providing false marks and therefore worthless degrees because the students failed to make backups themselves, I'm pretty sure that goes against EVERYTHING a university is meant to do.

If a tutor loses the work and a replacement can't be provided by the student then it is the students fault they didn't make backups as far as I'm concerned. Thats real life.

In any case mine wasn't lost, it was put down as me `failing to hand it in`. I didn't photocopy it (handwritten not typed) and that was my fault; and I learned from that.

call me overcautious but in current climate of anti-gun hysteria I wouldnt take a RIF near a uni or its halls of residence unless i had cast iron assurances in advance and in writing that there was no provision in the rules outlawing it.

I'd look at hiring storage facilities if all else fails and theres no one local to your uni you could trust with storing them for you

Around here I hire a ful length freight container thats around 20-odd feet long to store my scooters in. Cost of that is around £100 a month but most of those places also have everything from half sized containers right down to an eighth container for people to hire for storage.

by time you get down to an eighth you can be talking as little as £15 or £20 a month to house your guns (in something thats built out of metal, weighs a couple of tons, and is enclosed within a secure compound boasting cctv cameras and on site security)

stevie

20 foot container is half-size :P Not that it matters a jot of course!!

Those 8th-size sound pretty damn reasonable, a 16th of a fullsize container is still about 140 cubic feet which is enough to store most of my collection I reckon, so thats about 80+ guns of assorted sizes.

Container storage looks pretty good :) especially if your uni explicitly prohibits airsoft/RIFs and/or has already had incidents relating to 'em.

20 foot container is half-size :P Not that it matters a jot of course!!

hey it was biggest they had in the shop lol

Container storage looks pretty good :) especially if your uni explicitly prohibits airsoft/RIFs and/or has already had incidents relating to 'em.

full (meh alright half) :) size ones would be worh a try too - ones around here have had a fresh lick of paint inside, mains power, interior light and couple of mains sockets.

For a hundred quid a month folks could ditch the halls of residence - specially as the sort of places these things get set up at (industrial estates etc) means theres always guaranteed to be at least a couple of snack vans just along the road :)

..Ok so it might look a bit grim and the view wouldnt be much to speak of, but hey think of it as a gated community lol

Archived