University and guns?

flipsnip

Ok, im going to uni (in the uk) this year and due to my gun fascination am wanting to take a couple of guns with me.

I am looking at staying in student accomodation and therefore am quite worried about having weapons in the rooms.

i would be thinking about taking 1 aeg (small smg), 1/2 gbbs and possible a co2 airpistol.

ive done a bit of looking on the net for good cases and like the look of the napier alu cases.

http://www.napieruk.com/bags.html

the cheapest ive found the breakdown shotgun case is £77 posted. it is an ariline approved case with duel locks. so security wise its easily sound. Im not bothered about havig to spend up to £100 its the fact of havibng them.

I have thought that if i took them, not told anyone and was sensible it would be ok

the question i want to ask is has anyone taken airsoft guns into student accom before?

if so which uni did u go to and did they know you had them?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you need to check your residence agreement. Mine just says no firearms, so I currently have my SOCOM with me, but most other stuff is at home as I can't currently skirmish up here.

Next term I will probably bring most of it here though, as I have found a local skirmish site.

You do need to ask yourself, do airsoft guns and the large quantites of alcohol that is uni mix?

i'd heavilly advise against it. i brought mine up here once, well, actually, i had them here for a while, but when i brought them back from a night of skirmishing (in a electric drill case), the ISO on duty demanded to know what was in the case. so they got confiscated, and i had to wait two weeks to get an appointment with judicial affairs to lie baldfaced to them and say i meant to give them to the ISO for safekeeping, instead of smuggling them in. i got em back, but now if i do anything else stupid and get cought, i'm pretty much kicked off campus. not that bad, but it could easilly have gotten worse (especially because some of the other ISOs had no idea what they were talking about. one of them [and ex cop] claimed you needed an FID to own airsoft guns, and that she had arrested people who didn't have the cards).

another kid at my college had a little mini MP5 in his room, and got expelled because he accidentally shot his RA (who knew he had it) in the finger.

if you absolutely MUST have your guns on campus, i advise that you ask the public safety office if you can store them in their building, so you know that they'll be safe (college kids steal anything not bolted down and burning), and that you won't get in trouble for having them.

I had the same dilema last year when I was in halls. I had the cash to buy an AEG, but I didn't want to have it here at uni. Firstly, as has been said before beer and airsoft do not mix. Secondly, what if your room gets broken into? I doubt that you could claim that back on your student insurance.

Your tenancy agreement should outline what you can and can't have, however I would talkto your college master beforehand and see what he says. You may have to leave it with whatever security service there is on campus or in your college and only have it out for skirmishes.

I went a year without skirmishing and as a result the bank balance has taken a bit of a kicking (I had to get all my gear this year as opposed to getting over this year and last year).

Having lived in student accomodation for 4 years (studied abroad for a year so never went into a house, then came back to mates who were all in own houses) i know the rules cos i tried to find ways around most of them!

I had an aeg and a couple of springers with me at the end of my final year but the rules said 'no guns, of any sort, or you're out'. i just kept them in a case, told no one about them and went to and from a skirmish with them in the box in a hold all.

If i were you, i'd not take them cos in yourt first year you will tell people and people will think you're a gun nut, without any good thoughts about that. Impressions and reputations are made in the furst two weeks and may stay for the whole of your 3 years. that goes for everything, write that down.

anyway, those people will tell other people and you'l get busted and at the minimum fined and told to get rid of them.

but, you're a big boy, find out the rules (don't ask cos there's no way they'll say yes) and choose whether to break them or not.

where are you off to? good luck whatever you do, enjoy it!

I never had a problem, you had to inform the resident tutor for our halls, saying you had a legit reason for having them, and just make sure they are covered up and out of view. Oh and don't do stupid things like running down the corridors with them and I think you'll be fine.

I had an Air Rifle when I was at Uni, but this was over 10 years ago when you could wander down the street with it and people wouldn't get fussed.

The uni (Coventry University) had a decent shooting club there and had some of their own .22LR rifles. I simply handed my rifle in to their armoury and checked it out whenever I needed it. It was safe, they knew all about it, and it stopped those moments when visitors / flatmates saw it and thought "Wow, how cool", then run down the corridors shooting out the fire-alarms.

You may be perfectly safe to keep guns on campus, but if others even get a hint that you have them, it will be "Bring on the beers, bring on the ammo, let's go shoot something". It won't end well, and any argument over guns on campus (even if it is you trying to get them back off the nutter who wants to play) will be as well appreciated as a compulsive poisoner at a wine party.

Ask your chosen uni if they have a shooting / archery club. If they do, as if they have secure storage for their own weapons, and would you be able to store 1 or 2 replicas along with them for safety. They should be obliging.

Good luck ;)

My room is littered with my guns.

Needless to say I dont even go to the bathroom without locking the door, and I have a single room.

If I had a roommate, I dont think I would trust anyone enough to leave my guns around them.

All my guns are gas powered, so yes, people hear me annhiliating targets with my m11 from time to time, and the semi-auto glock fire has a distinct noise, but as long as I vent the gas out the window nobody bothers me.

I found the easiest analogy for lay people is that its the asian counterpart to paintball. Then I dont seem like such a whacko for having such realistic guns hanging about.

I'm at Coventry University now and the bigwigs seem to take the attitude that anyone even suggesting shooting is likely to drive a minibus full of semtex through the front gate. I even asked the SU if I could start up an airsoft team and was told 'we don't think it is appropriate for a university' Imagine my suprise two weeks later when they announced they are starting a paintball club. I secretly suspect its because the're all poofs and scared of what I might do to them on a skirmish day!

He he he, Oh the stories I have.........& I never went to University.

Word of advice, if you care to listen is: Dont stay in Halls longer than you have to, rule one of having fun with students,- get the hell away from most of them!! First little while it can't be helped, but get away from halls by the second semester, or at least the second year

I lived in Hull for a couple of years and I can safely say vast quantities of booze + guns = mirth, never took them outside (well, once or twice) 'cos the scallies in our part of Hull could have had real ones, but yes being drunk with your housemates & all having guns does get quite entertaining :D:D

I recall a particularly entertaining experience when our landlord (one Mr Blank, how appropriate) came to see how the house was after we had some locks changed, and he stalked into the lounge (having NOT given us any notice at all, so he couldn't say anything anyway), and in clear view he could take in :

a large cage with a huge rat called Lister in,

a hamster cage inc. Lemmiwinks the Hamster

a SPAS shotgun

a large, green, stained bong

some pistols, several pistols really, a pile of bloody pistols

an extra bed in the corner

the kitchen door.

The last item would have been less of a `problem` if a ) we hadn't been in the lounge, and b ) it wasn't folded in half.

Seeing as we were not allowed, pets, sub letting, imitation or air powered weapons, the green thing (obviously) or indeed to break the house we should have been in trouble, but we got away with it somehow :D Happy, happy days

I was in halls at Oxford Brookes last year and had my P90 and M92 GBB with me all year. I kept them on the top shelf of the wardrobe all year round and only took them out skirmishing once or twice in a holdall so it wasn't obvious.

One time some guys on my floor were playing with a little crappy springer, trying to knock over some plastic cups. I showed them what a GBB does to those cups and they ran like scared little girls :D but seriously, I shouldn't have even got it out of my room.

General rule of thumb is, keep them hidden and you'll be fine. Don't go flashing them to drunken mates or they'll go running around with it, and yes, you'll get in some serious *beep*! :waggle:

Oh and by the way, is anyone else at Brookes who's into airsofting? PM me, cos I'd like to start a society but haven't got a clue where to start!! I've got a mate that's just set up one at Nottingham Trent, so it's do-able. Cheers[/color]

hmm mixed opinions. think i mite send a couple of annomous emails to the accom ppl from the two unis im looking at.

a custom interior in a guitar case could be fun thou. just then when someone comes in and asks me if i want a jam some time ill be like................ er no ive only just started learning!

Where do I start? I've had airsoft guns in my rooms for the past two years. Closest call I ever had, was when we had a fire on the floor above me this year. They had to flood that floor, and all the water leaked down through the ceiling, into the rooms on my floor. Naturally, the maintenance folks came to clean everything out of our closets, so that the closets could dry. Lo and behold, when I got back to my room, I find my VSR-10 (With bipod and scope) leaning neatly against the wall. This means that a) they found my VSR-10, B) they touched my VSR-10, and c) they did not give a rat's *albatross*. At my school, you're technically not allowed to have firearms of any sort. But the maintenance people are cool about peoples' privacy. Hell, I even heard that they found a bong in another room once, but they didn't report it either.

EDIT: I also show them to my friends. They don't give a ###### either. They actually think they're pretty neat. Hell, my RA (guy who supervises the residents on his floor) last year knew that I had them, and he didn't care either. (It helps that there's a marine officer candidate, a gamer, and a gun nut in the group) So yeah, basically what everyone says, don't shoot anyone who is not aware of your intentions, keep them out of sight of the proper authorities and strangers, and you'll be fine.

Generally you do get a lot of leeway in these things, but the main point here is to be quite careful, generally as with so many things it's no big deal if you dont make it a big deal ;)

Just don't ever get too drunk and start playing with them (sorry your holiness) in case you think it'll be funny to nip down the shop with one tucked into your waistband :o

im at the art school in norwich living on the city college campus, i have a 1 aeg, 1 gbb and 1 springer,

luckily there storage room under my bed, so i just move my matress and put my guns and gear under my bed and no problems, one of the sequrity guards knows ive got them but hes not fussed, he even asked me if i wanted a blank firing gun.

i think the main people who run the lodge would have somink to say though, most my mates on my floor know ive got them, they think im a bit weird but there not bothered, even though i shot on accidently when they wanted to have a look.... she could told me she put bbs in the mag =/

but a\ny way keep them outa site outa mind, untill you skirmish.,..

Hi

Im currently at Uni and have my guns stored in the Halls main office. If its against the tenancy agreement to keep replicas in halls, then go have a word with your warden or porter about finding somewhere to store the guns. Id expect them to be quite willing to help you finds somewhere to keep them, at least I know mine were! They are there to help you get the most out of uni, so I wouldnt expect them to be hostile.

The way that I looked at it was: They are never likely to find out I have replicas in my room, but why take the risk? It only takes one person to find out and spread word around and you cant keep them there anymore. On top of this, the powers that be may be less inclined to help you find proper storage for them.

That just what I think you should do anyway :)

Matthais_31

Well I just decided to live off campus and also got a garage and driveway to store my cars, get to shoot round the house whenever I want without the worry and ppl who I live with think Im stupid to spend my money on them, coming from him who has 7 pairs of Oakleys including the new ones with the MP3 player :D . We have an agreement that neither moans about each others buying habits :P

Problem solved.

Archived