UA-571C Remote Sentry Weapon

ajay_may

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The base weapon for the originals were MG42s so I'd probably look at M60s for size (and large ammo cap) but the TOP M60s aren't exactly famous for their reliability... or anything else really.

If I were ambitious I'd talk in terms of building from scratch but...

Mg42s were used for the drones as well as the smart guns? damn those things are usefull. :D

as for airsoft- spray and pray would be easily set up with an old ocilating fan- mount the AEG in the turney about bit (not the fan bit the other one) take the blades off- rig the fan bit up to an enhanced high cap and have the sensor triger the fan(and the AEG of course) for maybe 5-10 seconds - the motion of the unit swings the gun about on full auto and the fan keeps the mass-cap wound

a couple of flaws. first, i doubt that the motor used to oscillate the fan has enough torque to move an AEG about. second, where do you plug the fan in at a field? third, using a constant motor to wind a magzine will not only overheat the motor eventually, it will also damage a very expensive magazine.

In the movie they only sweep back and forth, but the "real steel" might have the ability to adjust vertically.

Of course while only sweeping back and forth doesn't solve the potential problem of uneven ground it does mitigate it somewhat.

One might add a feed system to prevent the problem but it would be a lot easier to add a levelling guage and ensure that it's set-up correctly.

the most comlex way i could think of to do it would be to put a ciruit into an auto-winding mag with a contact on the feed spring. this when the feed spring has lost all tension. the contact closes a ciruit that starts a motor to wind the mag. when the sprin is fully wound, the contact closes a circuit that stops the motor. all theory. this would work best with a Shoei MG42 using a custom drum, mind you.

Doesn't work unfortunately, I thought to do that with my MINIMI...

Unfortunately the spring relaxes at the outside first, meaning that you have a constantly overwound mag...

Yes, a Shoei MG42 would be most realistic, but I'd hate to cut one up to do it, let alone four.

• 6 months later...

If one were to use a position controlled system rather than the crank system I mentioned on page 1 one could create an array of blinkered sensors...

Consider this, directly on line with the centreline of the gun is an IR sensor which is effectively rigged directly to the trigger; whenever something passes the centreline within range the sentry fires. Add to that an array of blinkered sensors covering the fire arc of the weapon (so that when it was at the limit of its track at one end the sensor array would still cover the other end of the track), a small box of tricks would be capable of comparing results from the various sensors without much difficulty - even only through a "the signal from left four should pass through left three on its way to centreline, no signal has appeared in left three but one has appeared in left five, reverse motor direction..."

A system like this would be capable of tracking targets (again a remote "kill switch" would be required to switch it back to scan mode to avoid overkilling targets).

Corporate... where'd you hear that they were originally made from an MG42, the smart guns were... If I recall correctly the entire thing was custom design form an armor so that it fired wood shells that would disintegrate before they got out of the barrel (no shells being ejected and could fit a massive amount in the custom drum). I'll look into that later... gotta break out the Quadrilogy bonus DVD... where'ever that set is...

Interesting idea, but wouldn't something top loading be a better idea with gravity being the main method of feeding and with the correct motor set up can just shake the gun to get it to feed again with a huge hopper. Battery size is unlimited... Tripod can be found just about anywhere...

Alex "Col Sanders"

geez, why doesn't someone just buy a couple pieces of carbon fiber or some light metal, a couple servos, some duct tape, a cheap aeg?  that would be a lot simpler and cost effective i would think.

No offense... but don't talk the talk if you haven't even remotely tried... this is a LOT harder than it sounds like... when you get a functioning prototype tell us, but until then don't try and sound like you know everything... it's really annoying.

Alex "Col Sanders"

geez, why doesn't someone just buy a couple pieces of carbon fiber or some light metal, a couple servos, some duct tape, a cheap aeg?  that would be a lot simpler and cost effective i would think.

That's easy to do, but all it will do is spin if powered. The problem isn't making the construct, it's having it be a real 'sentry,' i.e. a self contained guard unit. That takes more than spit and duct tape.

i'm actually in the middle of making one of these at the moment. i have a feeling its not going to look anything like the real deal, but my plan was to develop a working prototype before commiting an enginneer mate of mine to machine up some decent parts. so far, its being constructed out of old hoover casings and parts, camera tripods, cordless electric screwdrivers and various armalite bits.

black ops has the right idea. you need to start with base and work your way up, whilst keeping in mind that the things going to need to be balanced fairly well.

i'm designing mine around an acoms r/c car radio control system. the right/left control will control the pan functions and the forward/reverse will control the fire systems. however, rather using the reverse feature for anything i've opted to connect a forward only digital speed controller connected to the motor on the gun. this will also be connected to the motor on the electric box mag with a voltage step down. that way when whilst its firing its winding the mag at the same time.

because i'm keeping it simple and only using two channels, theres no way of making it tilt without further hassle. so to increase the likely hood of hitting targets at different heights i've opted to simply vary the weight of the ammunition. ie: mix some 0.2,0.25 and 0.3 bb's together and then shove them in the mag. it should increase the 'beating zone'.

the gun you use really doesn't play a huge part. bear in mind that your biggest concern is weight. if its going to have to move about whilst also sharing space with batteries, servos, motors and receivers then your going to need something small and light. the box mag will probably be the heftiest item so try and make that as central as you can. the lighter it is the quicker it will move. and the more life you'll get from the battery.

i've opted for a m4 stripped of stock and foregrip which will literally sit on the box mag. the slight loosness should help the gun jump around a bit, increasing the firing cone. the only part your going to see of it is the barrel anyway. a fairly screen accurate one can be machined up for little cost. i've also opted to change my design so that the drive motors are concealed in the gun flip top box rather than the tripod. this should make carrying and deploying slightly easier.

anyway, once the prototype is finished and i can afford to invest in decent components i'll be adding a few more gadgets. remote bullet camera feeding back to a 2.5 inch colour monitor so i can see what i'm shooting from a first person point of view. remote torch and predator style laser would also be nice. self destruct feature in case it falls into enemy hands.....

i'll keep you posted.

I've been thinking about making a sentry gun myself, and as far as I can see, the best way of making a sensor system for 360 degree (or less, depending on obstructions) coverage would be to use a system similar to continuous wave radar. Basically, you have a rotating gun, and a fixed base. The base contains an ultrasonic transmitter and 3 receivers. The receivers filter out any sound of the frequency used by the transmitter, so the gun ignores objects that are stationary relative to it. When a moving object comes near the gun, however, the reflected sound waves are of a different frequency to the original signal (due to the Doppler effect), so the receivers activate. The receiver closest to the object activates 2 timer circuits, which stop when the corresponding receivers also receive the signal. A microcontroller then uses the time between the receivers being activated to calculate the direction from which the signal came, turns the gun to face that direction (determining the position of the gun through the use of reflective optoelectronics), and fires.

I've been thinking about making a sentry gun myself, and as far as I can see, the best way of making a sensor system for 360 degree (or less, depending on obstructions) coverage would be to use a system similar to continuous wave radar. Basically, you have a rotating gun, and a fixed base. The base contains an ultrasonic transmitter and 3 receivers. The receivers filter out any sound of the frequency used by the transmitter, so the gun ignores objects that are stationary relative to it. When a moving object comes near the gun, however, the reflected sound waves are of a different frequency to the original signal (due to the Doppler effect), so the receivers activate. The receiver closest to the object activates 2 timer circuits, which stop when the corresponding receivers also receive the signal. A microcontroller then uses the time between the receivers being activated to calculate the direction from which the signal came, turns the gun to face that direction (determining the position of the gun through the use of reflective optoelectronics), and fires.

Don't forget to post pictures as soon as you finish it.

As noted above...

An MG42 provides the base, admittedly it's shrouded in an unbelievable amount of plastic but...

I had forgotten that the "tripod" was so off centre, I would suggest a slightly more conventional mount (though that's just me).

Still, plenty of food for thought.

With all these sci-fi projects going on, someone should organise a sci-fi "any-airsoft-mad-tech-goes" game - Motion sensors, ammo counters, remote cameras, land warrior style helmet gun cams, turret guns, remote control weapons platforms, you name it!

I haven't heard of any sites banning that sort of thing, so you could probably take it down to most games.

Archived