Gas capacity decrease with duster?

sekiryu

Well, I've switched to duster gas for my Maruzen P99s, but here's the issue:

When I used propane, I was able to fill the mags for a good 30 seconds to one minute, and had enough gas to fire off 4 complete mags.

Now that I use duster, I can only fill the mag up for about 5 seconds, and only about the first 5-10 shots are powerful enough to produce a complete blowback cycle, and I run out of gas right about at 1 mag.

What's the deal?

I'm using Memorex.

I didn't know there was a wrong way to fill the mag other than not tilting the can upside down.....

Well, it will fire off all the rounds in the magazine, but there isn't enough gas left to cycle the slide enough to lock open.

You might be doing it wrong, I'll post up a few pics of how to fill it correctly. ALso, are you using Falcon Dustoff? That's the weaker 152a.

I'm pretty sure difluoroethane (152a, but I have a hard time with all these numbers) is slightly more powerful that 134a, if its boiling point is anything to go by. Lately all duster I've been able to find is 152a, with that damn bittering agent. Memorex (the one in a sliver and green can, anyway) is difluoroethane.

No clue what your problem is, though. I've been able to get of a noticeably higher amount of shots with duster compared to propane.

Edit: Oops, R152a actually should be a little less powerful going strictly on boiling point. But I still don't think it would be a noticeable amount. I've not tested it though.

Good video for the purpouse.

You are filling corectly, and you are filling the mag cmpleatly.

Do you have a metal slide on the gun? This might mean that the gas is not powerfull enough to run the gun. or an enhanced recoil spring as well i guess.

Can you go back to propane to make sure that it isnt a problem with the gun, just a problem with the gun using duster.

I always though Propane =/= Duster Gas.

Propane is green gas.

Duster Gas is 134a.

Theres the difference right there?

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm being an idiot

Dom

Duster gas is sometimes 152a, sometimes 134a, and sometimes mixed.

152a is even lower powered than 134a.

I always though Propane =/= Duster Gas.

Not really sure what =/= is supposed to represent. More? Less? The Same?

Propane IS green and produces MORE power, but is less efficient than 134a and Duster gas (which is similar).

Cheers.

HFC134a expands more than C3H8 (propane aka. green gas). So you should get more shots per fill from duster, if it's the HFC134a kind. I've observed this phenomena with all airsoft guns I've used. Especially the more delicate GBB models like Marushin, WA, Tanaka and Maruzen run like a dream on HFC134a, but start hickuping on green unless modified.

Doesn't really help with your problem, maybe, but should rule out some things.

-Sale

I know for a fact that 152a has a lower pressure than 134a.

Try shooting a gun with radioshack duster in one mag, and falcon dust-off (12oz) in another. Significant difference in the strength of blowback.

Just tried that, seems you're right. I checked the surface temp of each mag to make sure they were the same, shot them in the same spot with an ambient temp of about 55F, and one of them (I'm guessing it would be the 134a) seemed to shoot harder. I didn't notice a substantial (if any) change in the blowback, but with one mag, all of the BBs fell a lot shorter than with the other. A few even over hopped.

Thank you, I think I'm going to stick with this Radioshack brand. No bittering agent either. :)

Nothing on-topic to add of course.

HFC134a expands more than C3H8 (propane aka. green gas). So you should get more shots per fill from duster, if it's the HFC134a kind.

If it expands more, wouldn't that mean that it would take up more space in the mag, hence less shots per fill?

What I meant is that a fixed volume of liquid HFC134a transforms into a larger volume of gas, than the same (fixed) volume of liquid propane. The amount of liquid in the magazine is controlled by the magazine itself, so it is equal between the two.

-Sale

Archived