TADgear Stealth Hoodie

Kiki-Jiki

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting a TADgear Stealth Hoodie, or maybe Ranger Hoodie for Christmas, if I can (if they are in stock). Anyways, I'd use it just as a nice jacket to wear aroung, but probably also for airsoft. At the moment I'm using a Phantom CIRAS in Coyote Brown (CB pouches too) with ACU top and bottom.

I was thinking, that since TAD doesn't make a tan, khaki, or coyote colored Stealth Hoodie (only M.E. green and D.F. gray), and the Ranger is sold out (they have it in Khaki) until February, I would get the ME green Stealth Hoodie. However, I doubt that the green hoodie would go very well with ACU bottoms....

So, what should I do for pants? Would Multicam work? Woodland? A plain OD green set of pants (where would I get that?)?

And the ME green hoodie would work pretty well with the CB CIRAS, right?

Thanks!

EDIT: One more question I forgot:

In their size charts, they just list a size in inches, such as Medium is "40-42". What does that measure? I don't know what size I should get....

And also, I actually meant the "TADgear Stealth Jacket LT", not Stealth Hoodie....the hoodies are sold out.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the happy owner of a TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie, I'll try to help you out as best as I can with the questions you asked. I wear mine nearly every day, except for when there's a chance of rain as it's a fleece, not a soft shell or Gore-tex. The one I have is actually my second as the first I gave to a friend of mine. My current is an XL as I'm 6'2" and have rather lanky arms and the L was a bit short there.

I think between the two, I would go for the ranger hoodie, even though it's in their khaki as you cn layer it with a hard shell for wet weather wear. Their khaki works pretty good with CB and if you can wait until tomorrow, I'll snap a few shots of the hoodie outside with some CB gear for a color test. I am looking to order a pair of their Force 10 "LEGIONNAIRE" CLASSIC CARGO for normal wear and for the PMC look, but I've worn it with my SKDtac MC pants and it's just fine.

Hit me up on AIM if you have any questions about the ranger hoodie,

Vic.

As the happy owner of a TAD Gear Ranger Hoodie, I'll try to help you out as best as I can with the questions you asked. I wear mine nearly every day, except for when there's a chance of rain as it's a fleece, not a soft shell or Gore-tex. The one I have is actually my second as the first I gave to a friend of mine. My current is an XL as I'm 6'2" and have rather lanky arms and the L was a bit short there.

I think between the two, I would go for the ranger hoodie, even though it's in their khaki as you cn layer it with a hard shell for wet weather wear. Their khaki works pretty good with CB and if you can wait until tomorrow, I'll snap a few shots of the hoodie outside with some CB gear for a color test. I am looking to order a pair of their Force 10 "LEGIONNAIRE" CLASSIC CARGO for normal wear and for the PMC look, but I've worn it with my SKDtac MC pants and it's just fine.

Hit me up on AIM if you have any questions about the ranger hoodie,

Vic.

Oooh, very nice.

I'm not ordering for a little bit...it'll be a christmas present. But anyways, a few pictures would be awesome.

I was also looking at an Arc'Teryx Bravo jacket...I think I really like it. I've got to go for now...but I'll have some more questions and comments in the near future.

ME green is definitely a good base color for a Multicam and ACU setup. As for going with the multitude of variations of CB that would be hard to say. I haven't tried it out with my Ranger Green Delta 5 yet, but I have a feeling it will work pretty well.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking an ME green Ranger Hoodie, Mulitcam pants, and my CB CIRAS. Oh, and then probably some type of hat....maybe just some kind of tan hat would work?

Yeah, I was kinda thinking an ME green Ranger Hoodie, Mulitcam pants, and my CB CIRAS. Oh, and then probably some type of hat....maybe just some kind of tan hat would work?

Maybe get the HGSI shooting cap? They're rather nice and you can get them in Multicam if you're feeling it. I'd like to see the picture when you get your gear together.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/appa...actical_cap.htm

This is my Ranger Hoodie with a SOE Belt and my G&P EBR:

0920071643a.jpg

I have the 10th Ed Stealth Hoodie, along with a pair of Force-10s in Tan twill and OD twill. The 10th Ed's coloring is almost foliage, but slightly greyer. I'll take a pic later today with me in the hoodie, force-10s, and the foliage EDC to give you an idea of the coloring scheme.

Join the usualsuspectnetwork, TAD has their forum hosted there.

I have the 10th Ed Stealth Hoodie, along with a pair of Force-10s in Tan twill and OD twill. The 10th Ed's coloring is almost foliage, but slightly greyer. I'll take a pic later today with me in the hoodie, force-10s, and the foliage EDC to give you an idea of the coloring scheme.

Also, check out militarymorons.com They have a good article on most of TAD's line and some other really ally items.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/clothes.4.html

Oooh, very nice.

I'm not ordering for a little bit...it'll be a christmas present. But anyways, a few pictures would be awesome.

I was also looking at an Arc'Teryx Bravo jacket...I think I really like it. I've got to go for now...but I'll have some more questions and comments in the near future.

bravo is LEAF only AFAIK and even at the LEAF price a big step up from the TAD hoodie.

look at beyond fleece as well. again a step up, not quite Arcteryx territory but custom fits.

Maybe get the HGSI shooting cap? They're rather nice and you can get them in Multicam if you're feeling it. I'd like to see the picture when you get your gear together.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/appa...actical_cap.htm

This is my Ranger Hoodie with a SOE Belt and my G&P EBR:

<beautiful picture>

I was looking at the HSGI caps, I may just have to get me one of those, probably in Multicam. I'll definitely get some pictures of my gear when it's ready, but who knows when that'll be...most of this stuff will come from Christmas and christmas money, so I doubt I'll have pictures for at least a month.

Oh, and that looks beautiful! Personally, I'm not so big on the EBR's (I like plain m14s or m14 SOCOMs), but that hoodie makes it gorgeous.

Lol...I'm not so sure what like half of that means, lol. 10th Edition? Is that good? What are Force-10s? Picture would be great. :D

Also, check out militarymorons.com They have a good article on most of TAD's line and some other really ally items.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/clothes.4.html

Ooh, thanks! Thats a very nice article!

bravo is LEAF only AFAIK and even at the LEAF price a big step up from the TAD hoodie.

look at beyond fleece as well. again a step up, not quite Arcteryx territory but custom fits.

Yes, I konw it's LEAF, but I can still buy it, right? What's AFAIK? So if it's a big step up, are you saying I should get the Arc'Teryx Bravo hoodie over the TAD? That's cool, because I won't be paying for this. :P

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit my above post...

Anyways, I was talking to my parents and they don't want to spend $320 for the Arc'Teryx Bravo jacket, so I'd have to add about $100 on my own. Is it really worth it?

So, I was looking at TAD's website, and I saw the Stealth Jacket V3.0.

How is it? It looks very similar to the Arc'Teryx Bravo jacket, so....is it? Performance wise? I couldn't really find a good review on it, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Plus, it's only $250, so I won't have to add much of my own cash, and its in stock right now.

So, info on the Stealth jacket would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Stealth jacket is the same as the hoodie, without the hood of course. It's pretty pointless to have a waterproof jacket if it doesn't have a hood, unless you carry an umbrella, which renders the expensive waterproof material pointless. I'd wait till december for TAD's new line of hoodies to roll out.

Stealth jacket is the same as the hoodie, without the hood of course. It's pretty pointless to have a waterproof jacket if it doesn't have a hood, unless you carry an umbrella, which renders the expensive waterproof material pointless. I'd wait till december for TAD's new line of hoodies to roll out.

Woah....new line of Hoodies? December? Sounds like a plan!

Like, new versions of the Ranger Hoodie, or Stealth hoodie? If so, I may have to pick up a Stealth Hoodie...

Anyways, I was also looking at these custom "Beyond" jackets. Anybody know anything about them? They seem to look pretty decent, and aren't too expensive. I was looking at one, and it totalled to like $270 with all the stuff I want.

Again, I'll ask: Is the Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket ($320) really worth it? I mean, I really like it, but is it worth the extra $$ over a TAD Hoodie, or a customized Beyond jacket?

AFAIK means as far as i know. LEAF means law enforcement/armed forces. unless youre either of those and can prove it you cant buy the LEAF products. they offer civilian versions of some of the gear but at a much higher price. that being said, the quality is outstanding and the performance is great. crocodile is abadass color.

If you can get it, I'd take arcteryx, then beyond, then TAD. i love my beyond thouhg so itd be tough.

heres a review i did of my beyond jacket:

Posted 14 November 2006 13:16

A few months back i decided to start looking into soft shells as i wanted a highly water and wind resistant shell that was flexible to make the transition from my time in tampa to my winters in Stuttgart, Germany and travelling elsewhere. After looking for awhile, i browsed over the SORD, TAD gear, arcteryx and some others but came across Beyond. I really liked the fact i could add the features i wanted, get it sized to fit me, and the customer service (with Marisa) was outstanding when dealing with my questions.

So after my budget allowed, I ponied up and made the order. I decided on the Trio over the Cold Fusion after talking to Marisa at Beyond. One of the big things that was pulling me was the fact the Trio was "Coyote" in color, and a bit more water resistant. So I took my measurements, ordered, and waited!

The measurement process is simple, obviously be sure you have someone to do it for you because its rather comprehensive. I opted to go for the standard fit (as opposed to the athletic, more snug fit or the "layered" fit, which is baggier). The standard fit it supposed to allow for a good amount of layering wihtout being constrictive. I also elected to go with a waistline a bit lower then my belt, but there is an option to make it even lower then mine is so it goes below the fly entirely. I also opted for slightly long sleeves for the reach. The website is very helpful and straightfoward when it comes to taking measurements, and if you run into any problems Im sur esomeone at Beyond would be more then happy to assist you.

As for the pocket options, I chose the following for personal reasons:

* Pit Zips ($15.00)

* Right Internal Chest Pocket ($15.00)

* Left Sleeve Loop Patch ($3.00)

* Right Sleeve Loop Patch ($3.00)

* Left Bicep Pocket ($15.00)

* Right Bicep Pocket ($15.00)

* Zip Off Hood ($30.00)

* Logo No Logo (N/C)

My total came to 295 with free shipping (base price is 195), and I only left off maybe 4 options at the most. After you place the order, the website gives a rundown of all your measurements, as well as storing them for the future, and keeps you up to date on the status of your order. For even more details its only a phone call away.

The wait was only 2.5 weeks, not bad at all. I have yet to get any serious playtime with it as the weather down here has only hit cool and rainy, not yet cool cool. This winter I will be in Germany and Oslo, Norway as well so I will be able to truly test the abilities of this softshell. So far my impressions are this, in no particular order:

-The overall stitch quality and attention to stitch detail is superb. This thing isnt falling apart anytime soon

-The fabric is outstanding. I believe its a version of a Schoeller fabric, and even large amounts (sticking it under the sink on full blast for 45 seconds) the water beads like mercury.

-Windblocking ability is the same as any windshell, as far as i can tell.

-Color isnt quite an actual Coyote. Its hard to tell from the photos but it is in between my Coyote "tan" gear and my Coyote "brown" gear, and quite a few shades of from my Eagle CB gear. Still a good color however and close enough to be considered Coyote I guess, Ill leave the verdict up to you (sorry for the poor lighting)

-The jacket needs adjustable cuffs. The elastic ones I received are too tight, and the adjustablity would be a nice option for when wearing heavy gloves.

-The hood isnt my cup of tea. Its more "athletic" but wearing comms or a beanie underneath would be next to impossible. I understand its only a softshell but i still think a bit more room would be nice. The contour however on the top of the head is great.

-The hood attachments are really a lacking area IMO. You cannot wear the hood attached wihtout it up unless you want to look retarded. It only has about an 6-8" zipper attachment point, and no hook and loop or snaps on the sides, so when taken off the hood falls back and the front flaps that go around your jaw flap all over the place. With a pack it woudl be come annoying, IMO they should be attached at the sides as well as the back.

-The fleece in the collar is a great touch. Comfortable and warm.

-The pit vents are nice and long, a plus for me. However, they have no mesh in them, so when open they are entirely open. I wouldve preferred a mesh of somesort.

-the gaiter at the waste is hit or miss. it sinches perfectly, the actual plastic pinch parts are inside the seam so they arent exposed, which is nice except when trying to loosen the gaiter back up. Its next to impossible in gloves and difficult enough with bear hands, I can only do it when taking the jacket off.

-The fit is outstanding. Custom fit is right, and with their guaruntee, if it doesnt fit rihgt, send it back and theyll make you a new one.

-The look is great. It is cut well and doesnt have the totally tactical look, especially if you dont get hook/loop on the sleeves like i did.

-Layers well. With a T shirt and medium weight columbia fleece there is room for a long john weight material as well. Anything more would get too uncomfortable, but if you want to layer you can just choose that option.

-Bicep pockets are great. Not too big, not too small, and because theyre sewn into the liner they dont move around if you put items in them.

-Zippers are light-medium duty IMO. Some of my snowboarding shells have heavier zippers, and i think i wouldve preferred a slightly heavier zipper on the front. They are all however YKK.

Overall im quite happy wiht it. The fit and quality is awesome, and despite some features it doesnt have that I wouldve liked, I got to choose all the features I did want. Customer service is absolutely outstanding and overall it was worth every penny. I will be doing business with them again.

time for pictures:

note, for proportion reference I am 5'9, 150-155 pounds, 39" chest, 32" waste, 45" shoulder.

Posted 19 December 2006 05:20 Hide Post

OK, so time for a winter weather update:::

-the hand warmer pockets are nice, but useless in a way. they zip up, which although a nice feature (same as on my good snowboarding jackets), the pockets are so tall that they tend to let cold air in the top while your hands are in the bottom. it gets irritating when you stick your hands in only to find out cold drafts blow in the top of the pockets. zipping down, or at least two zippers maybe woudl solve this. they do however work well and provide a nice amount of body warmth when it is not breezy out, and placement and internal size is great.

-i shouldve ordered waterproof zippers but at this pricepoint i think it shoudl come with them in the first place. maybe not on the main zip, but the shoulder pockets would certainly begin to leak water in, and that could cause problems, esp seeing as theyre the primary pockets when wearing an IBA, etc

-cuffs are frustrating. i have small wrists and theyre tight trying to put things on. they work great once i slide my gloves under them, since they are tihgt, but makes it nearly impossible. for you big wristed guys that could pose a problem. however, its a simple simple fix---adjustable cuffs.

-i shouldve ordered the longest length. they have three lengths--athletic, regular (what i have) and long. the regular when cinched up comes up above my zipper and often slides above the button on my pants. this gets irritating. i can only imagine the athletic length. although my fault, just somethign to take into account. the long fit is supposed to come to the bottom of the zipper and i think for anything where cold weather is involved is probably the best fit.

-it blocks all wind (obviously) and is very water resistant, although oddly enough it seems like certain areas absorb water faster then others on the outside when exposed to long periods of wetness. either way however nothing penetrates farther then the outer layer. warmth is great. i really like the flexibility of the jacket, i can wear it in high 60s low 70s when its rainy and windy with the pit zips open and no layers, but in the high 30s i just zip it up to my collar line, and wear a long sleeve and im fine. i have yet to test it below freezing however.

-ive gotten many comments about how nice the jacket looks, and fits. i would have to agree. its discreet enough to be worn around for the most part, especialyl if you dont order the shoulder pockets/shoulder velcro. and obviously the fit is still top notch, besides my complaints about length and cuff size.

the weather is getting colder and we should be seeing some snow coming here soon, and if not while im in germany then certainly when i venture over to Oslo. Ill definitely post some more pictures and comments as they come.

im thinking im probably gonna pick up a beyond cold fusion jacket as my "cold weather" jacket, and get the things ive realized i shouldve gotten in this one. This as ive ordered it seems to be better suited overall to cool-moderate weather. No complaints however, i still love the jacket

edit---and i notice now beyond offers a helmet compatible zipoff hood for the cold fusion, with velcro to secure it. good to see

pictures:

P1010213-1.jpg

P1010212-1.jpg

P1010211.jpg

a little more recent update--its a softshell. but when layered properly is godo to very cold temperatures. holds off water great, but is no hardshell. for me the custom fit, insane quality and customer service, options and colors sold me on it. I would take a look at the new cold play shock jacket, it has features that i mentioned to scott that were missing on the trio:

http://beyondclothing.com/customize/cold-play-shock-jacket/

or the new cold fusion q if your weather is a bit cooler

New stealth hoodie, as well as new fire resistant merino gear like ranger hoodies.

I prefer TAD gear stuff, due to the little details that they add to their products (the drop tail fit on the back, the velcro spot that fits actual patches, not just name tapes, etc). Can't complain about customer service, as they have guys on AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ ready to help during most of the day.

Paradig:

The reason why those pockets are so tall is because most hiking/climbing packs has this waist belt, and if it was lower, you wouldn't be able to access the pocket.

Wow, paradigmsk8er, great review!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure that helped my decision...I'm not exactly so sure I want the Beyond anymore. I mean, the Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket in crocodile looks beautiful....so although the Coyote color would be cool, I think the Arc'Teryx sounds better than the Beyond. Plus, I wanted something that could be tactical, but yet just a nice light-winter jacket.

I live in Michigan (Southern MI), so yes, it gets cold. But I don't need (or want) a really big jacket that'll keep me warm in like -50 degree (F) weather. It gets to like 0 without wind chill at the coldest in the dead of winter here. Plus, if I'm just out and about, I won't be walking outside that much, so just the Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket with the wind resistance and water resistance is perfect, and it's got all the flexibility I'd need for airsoft and just moving in general.

And now that I think about it, if I were to get a Beyond, I'd end up paying about $300 for all the stuff I want. But for a mere $20 more I can get the Arc'Teryx Bravo....so, why wouldn't I just go with that?

Because I don't have $100 to spend right now (buying more stuff for my m4, and m14 SOCOM, along with Christmas presents...), I'll probably have to wait a week or two.

Anyways, I'll take a look at the new TAD hoodies, and maybe I'll take another look at the Beyond jackets. However, the Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket is sounding better and better all the time...

EDIT:

New stealth hoodie, as well as new fire resistant merino gear like ranger hoodies.

I prefer TAD gear stuff, due to the little details that they add to their products (the drop tail fit on the back, the velcro spot that fits actual patches, not just name tapes, etc). Can't complain about customer service, as they have guys on AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ ready to help during most of the day.

Paradig:

The reason why those pockets are so tall is because most hiking/climbing packs has this waist belt, and if it was lower, you wouldn't be able to access the pocket.

Hmm....what's the "drop tail fit on the back"? Does the Arc'Teryx have that?

Also, I'm not entirely sure I want the velcro spot...that's amazing for airsoft, I'd love it. But for just walking around town and stuff, am I really going to want to have a big blank splotch of velcro on my jacket? Probably not...and I've got places I can put patches on my CIRAS.

Idk, it's a hard decision. They all seem like such nice jackets.... ;)

You tell me:

DSC_1252.jpg

From the Pork Eating Crusader patch thread:

That's awesome and all...but one has to ask: Why?

That seems SOOO random, unless I'm missing something very important....a pork eating crusader? What's the significance of that?

But really, like I said...when I'm walking around town, do I honestly want a pork eating crusader on my arm?

Follow up on politics a little, and you'll get it.

Pics of stealth hoodie with OD TAD Force-10s:

<snip>

The color of the pack is foliage green, so you can make comparisons to that.

Polotics? What....? I missed it.

Anyways, what are Force-10s? The pants?

That looks pretty nice, actually. I have to say, I like the Stealth Hoodie.

BTW, how is the stealth hoodie in colder weather? Like, around 15-30 degrees? Will it keep it's warmth?

Also, how much does it cost? On the TAD website, it just says "$" because it's out of stock....I just want to know the approximate price.

I'm gonna go read that Military Morons review...

It's meant for layering, I'm wearing a regular tee and a sport shirt with the hoodie in 30 degree weather, so it's fine.

Costed me about $250 bones, came with a few free goodies (gotta love them TAD guys).

The MM review doesn't really apply to this, as this is pretty much the V3 hoodie.

It's meant for layering, I'm wearing a regular tee and a sport shirt with the hoodie in 30 degree weather, so it's fine.

Costed me about $250 bones, came with a few free goodies (gotta love them TAD guys).

The MM review doesn't really apply to this, as this is pretty much the V3 hoodie.

Ooh, 30 degrees with a tee and sport shirt? Sounds good! I probably won't end up wearing much more than that, unless it's really cold.

$250 is pretty darn good, I was just hoping you wouldn't say like "$400"....what are the "free goodies"?

I know the MM review doesn't really apply, but I read the Gen.1 and Gen.2 review, and they both seem GREAT. Plus, TAD actually improved on all the little defects of the Gen.1. If that's any telling for the Gen.3, I think it's going to be amazing.

I can't wait for it to come out....I'm getting one as soon as it comes out.

However, I'm not sure what color to get...I like the ME green, but I don't think it'll work that great with CB gear and ACU bottoms....should I buy some Multicam pants and a Multicam cap? That would work pretty well with both the CB CIRAS and the ME green Hoodie, right?

Or should I get a Tan Hoodie? I'm not TOO keen on that because I live and play in Michigan...and that's mostly woodland. ACU and CB works fine, but desert colors (tri-desert, desert MARPAT), don't work all that great. Multicam is amazing here, I love it...so that's why I was thinking Multicam pants and cap might be great.

the beyond is a softshell, you have to layer to take it anywhere below 40 degrees really. just like any softshell, you could wear it but youll be cool.

again, unless you are law enforcement or military, and active, and can prove it, you will be unable to get the arcteryx bravo. not sure if you detailed that i didnt read to in depth. the crocodile color is a coyote color anyways. its hard to tell but it is.

i know the high pockets are for waist belts--its the alack of insulation i dont particularly like on my trio. and as for this being tactical--the trio was the submission from beyond for the USMC combat jacket run..so its definitely that.

the drop tail is an option with beyond. remember, the beyond fit is COMPLETELY customizable. so athletic, regular, or layering fit (mine is regular) with a low, medium or high waist. sleeves, shoulder, neck, chest waist and torso are all fit to you, and how you want it to fit. I dunno call me biased but the fact that its custom fit, the quality of work is outstanding and the materials they use are the best on the market, I woudl take beyond. (they also have the new contract for the PCU items for mil)

here are pictures of my actual cold weather (20ish and below) setup..consists of a 300 weight coyote fleece, the beyond trio, and PCU hardshell:

PCUhardshell.jpgpcuhardshell2.jpg

remember. softshells, along with most combat wear, are designed for layering. youll struggle to find a do-it-all jacket on the market, however softshells are the best compromise.

Archived