Star L1A1 @ Redwolf!

Airsoftperson

Took the SLR out for another spin today , puts a big smile on my face every time.

Most people are suprised by how little I payed for it 625$ to the door.

By the way my innerbarrel was bent about 6cm in from the hopup end, so I swopt it for a Deepfire one but lost 30 fps. So now it shoots dead on 400 +- 3fps.( 550mm 6,04 ) It no longer shoots to the left.

Will get a new 590mm 6,02 Deapfire barrel later on.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, to be honest the Star L1A1 isn't that bad out of the box. Some of us have spent about the same or more money on guns that just hasn't worked well OOTB, and have spent hours rectifying the issue.

e.g.

CA249s (airnozzle - hop up airseal issues, motor-bevel interface problems)

G&G GR25 (cylinder head - airnozzle airseal manufacturing issue)

TM M14 (crooked front sight alignment)

TM Thompson (misbored outer barrel, causing misaligned inner barrel)

ICS AK74M (receiver issues causing hop up unit not to sit properly, causing hop breakages and airseal issues)

G&G L85AX (gear mismatch causing premature wear on piston)

KA FAL (shoots to the right even though no visible barrel misalignment issues)

CA M15AX (hop up has no effect)

CA M4 - old ver (complete mess)

Tanaka M700 series (never shot consistently)

and so forth....

With the L1A1 it was a 15 min job which involved a coke can and a rubber mallet. Small price to pay really.

With the L1A1 it was a 15 min job which involved a coke can and a rubber mallet. Small price to pay really.

You fixed your misaligned barrel with a coke can? I agree about the out of the box goodness......I just would like my flashhider straight since I'm going to use it for reinactment/living history. Other then that small bit mine is absolutly perfect.

What I noticed was that if you rotate the flashhider so the bayonet lug instead of being on the bottom side, its facing the top, the crookedness goes away. So a small issue, I was gonna hacksaw the bayonet lug off anyways since the flashhider is a little flimsy.

As for the fix for the crooked barrel, what I did was that I noticed the location where the long outer barrel section interfaced with the front sight was loosely attached, so I cut up a coke can and cut a strip of aluminium that can warp around the outer barrel interface area once, using it as a packer, then reassembling it. Then I looked down the barrel to see if its still crooked, but it shouldn't....volla! No crooked barrel :)

Same thing can be done to M4s, for misaligned or wobbling barrels. Aluminium sheets is a lot better than teflon tape, or cellotape as it is relative incompressible, and friction can generally hold it in place.

What I noticed was that if you rotate the flashhider so the bayonet lug instead of being on the bottom side, its facing the top, the crookedness goes away. So a small issue, I was gonna hacksaw the bayonet lug off anyways since the flashhider is a little flimsy.

As for the fix for the crooked barrel, what I did was that I noticed the location where the long outer barrel section interfaced with the front sight was loosely attached, so I cut up a coke can and cut a strip of aluminium that can warp around the outer barrel interface area once, using it as a packer, then reassembling it. Then I looked down the barrel to see if its still crooked, but it shouldn't....volla! No crooked barrel :)

Same thing can be done to M4s, for misaligned or wobbling barrels. Aluminium sheets is a lot better than teflon tape, or cellotape as it is relative incompressible, and friction can generally hold it in place.

Wow good to know, I love little fixes like that.

I wish I could do that flashhider fix but if my bayonet lug is gone my unit commander might make me do push-ups!! :D lol JK

Yes, looks like the flash hider needs to be replaced as well.

Those screws need to be there. Make sure the hopup assembly is properly lubricated, if it still won't move the screws might be too tight. Don't remove them though, just loosen them a tiny bit. On mine the hopup barrel under those clamps slides very easily about 2mm to the left in your picture. You can see the spring that puts tension on it in the left going into the barrel. You are trying to push it into the barrel right?

Timbo - I really hope your right. STAR still hasen't responded to my email about a new flash hider. :(

If I'm not mistaken all you need to do to remove the handguard is unscrew the large screw holding it in at the front. Its right under the foward sight post.

Hi Zodiac

Thank you for your patient and time, if talking about 1mm or little bit more, yes the hopup chamber can move forward, but after pushing the hopup forward most, seems the muzzle (that push the BB forward) still house inside the chamber and the upper receiver cannot bend yet !

Could be this is the reason and I'll try again tonight and see if I can push the muzzle backward into the gear box .....

Regarding the barrel, yes I do found little bending from the flash hider, I had drop message in Star's web page twice, however, till now its 3 weeks, still got no reply yet !! thats why I said won't dream for their replacement of anything ...... if you guys really got any replacement form them, let me know as well ...... :-)

Thanks

I've been looking around for a nice FAL for quite some time, and this just might fit the bill.

How is the hopup on this beauty? Power and build quality seem to be good, but aside from a few FPS ratings, there has been next to nothing stated about the performance of the gun at range.

Hopup is fine shoots strait & flat 35-40m.

As for the flashhider I fixed mine by unscrewing it & rescrewing it but pressed to the rigt with thumb at the same time, job done !.

Yip, that works to some extent, but STAR still owes us a new flash hider and front barrel section. Remember this is a high end $420+US gun, not a sub $100 gun. :P

I'm still waiting for a reply from star. Otherwise let it be known to not buy STAR and buy King Arms L1A1. :P

Regarding the barrel, yes I do found little bending from the flash hider, I had drop message in Star's web page twice, however, till now its 3 weeks, still got no reply yet !! thats why I said won't dream for their replacement of anything ...... if you guys really got any replacement form them, let me know as well ...... :-)

Can you give them a phone call?

I'm definitely waiting for the second production run before buying mine. Hopefully Star will have sorted out the quality control by then.

That might be the safer thing to do.....honestly the gun feels great and works wonderfully as an airsoft weapon. Hopefully they will just fix these little quality control problems.

Lover2006 let me take another look at how my dissasembly works and I'll get back to you tommorow. As for the SUIT removal grasp the lever in front of the springs and lift it up all the way. Keep in mind the srings are ment to keep the lever down so its not supposed to just popup easily. If it doesn't want to move at all try prying it up with the end of a knife or screw driver. They tend to get stiff when not moved around for awhile but when you do it once it should be easier to remove from then on.

Wow noodels I tried that once before but couldn't get it to work. I'll give it another go and see if I can repeat you success.

That might be the safer thing to do.....honestly the gun feels great and works wonderfully as an airsoft weapon. Hopefully they will just fix these little quality control problems.

Lover2006 let me take another look at how my dissasembly works and I'll get back to you tommorow. As for the SUIT removal grasp the lever in front of the springs and lift it up all the way. Keep in mind the srings are ment to keep the lever down so its not supposed to just popup easily. If it doesn't want to move at all try prying it up with the end of a knife or screw driver. They tend to get stiff when not moved around for awhile but when you do it once it should be easier to remove from then on.

Thanks Zodiac, foolish am I that the screw over the lever had not been removed .... its done to detech after the screw is out :Zzz:

Surplus SUIT is really good stuff in compare with those tasco scope, surprise on how clear it is :D

Yip, that works to some extent, but STAR still owes us a new flash hider and front barrel section. Remember this is a high end $420+US gun, not a sub $100 gun. :P

I'm still waiting for a reply from star. Otherwise let it be known to not buy STAR and buy King Arms L1A1. :P

Can you give them a phone call?

Ummmm, they don't even have phone no. posted if I am not overlooking .... :angry:

Thanks Zodiac, foolish am I that the screw over the lever had not been removed .... its done to detech after the screw is out :Zzz:

Surplus SUIT is really good stuff in compare with those tasco scope, surprise on how clear it is :D

Hi all

I got reply from Star regarding the mis-align of flash compressor, if you can have some pics shown that it would be useful for them to figure the problem, would you have any pics on that ?

Merry Christmas.

I'll take some pics and post them up right after christmas.(Finally found my camera charger :D )

Really happy that the christmas gift arrived ..... the SUIT mount made the L1A1 perfect ... :D

Found that the upper / lower receiver can simply be seperated by remove the two screw (coin size) at both side, and hammer out the pin that hold the magazine release.

The dust cover was not very fit, need some work on both edge and as you said, need a stop preventing it from moving forward / backward.

Anyhow, its looks very good with L2A2.

Hi Lover2006 do you know if you can replace the hinge ( with the 2 screws ) with the RS part for smoother action.?

Hi noodels, do you mean the two screw that lock the hopup module ?

BTW, I just faced another deadly problem, the gun not works suddenly, while checking, found the relay button for activate the motor cannot be reached while pull the trigger.... the lever can only "touch" the grey button as shown below, but not press on it ! tried to apart the gear box from the lower receiver, all parts are inside the gear box and seems nothing loose !

However, if the selector turned to "A" (yes, it can, after you deteched the upper receiver :-P), everything works fine !!

60f1330894.jpg

Another problem is the select plate cannot move back after the selecter change from "single" to "safe" mode, as shown in the picture, even the selector in Safe mode, the plate still in backward position, need little force to push it back each time.

6015ba8a82.jpg

Did you all encountered similar problem ?

Current work in progress -

Wood_01.jpg

Foregrip goes on easy as pie, the stock however is going to require a bit more work. Have got it seated where I want it, but still need to sort coring it out a bit more for the battery (stick batt) and how to house the main bolt to fasten the stock to the receiver.

Hi hammer-nb

Would you show how to fit the wood stock to the lower receiver, found inside the wood stock there are no place for the screw that can secure the stock to the body, did you fit the screw in opposite way, i.e. from lower receiver into the wood stock instead ?

Thanks

Archived