Star L1A1 @ Redwolf!

Airsoftperson

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does, but needs to take apart the stock rear assembly to reach the quick spring release.

Mine has worked flawlessly on semi for 5-6 mags on a 500fps spring and a 11.1v 2100mah lipo. A few issues has arisen:

- Hop up rubber is now worn because it is too soft to handle a 500fps spring

- Hop up rubber is incompatible with other hop rubber designs, losing about 60-100fps if I swap it out with something else.

- Motor grip heats up till my hands starts boiling after expending 240 rounds at an oncoming hoard of RAP4/RAM players who don't own up to hits in a span of 10 minutes.

Aside from that, it has been reliable as.

Its powered by:

- Cheapo Chinese Motor similar to the AM M4 motors

- XYT gears (standard flat ratio)

- and my lipo.

At 500fps its all good :)

I have seen 2 SLRs stop firing for some reason, where the selector does not engage the selector plate. The solution is to rotate the selector from semi all the way back clockwise (when the upper receiver is split open slightly), and it should then work again.

• 2 weeks later...

My SLR arrived today and it is a thing of great beauty. I want to replace the barrel with a tight one but I can't get it open. I've followed the instructions in some ealrier posts on here, no mag in pushed the hop unit forward and moved the lever but the two halves only move about 5mm apart. I just daren't force it in case I break it. Is there something else I've missed?, it feels like a pin or something else is stopping it.

TAG remove the 2 screws on either side of gun & the pin for the mag release, slide the 2 halfs apart. :D

OH by the way ,teflon tape the hopup rubber for snugg fit.

STAR's inner barrels outer diamiter is slitely larger than other makes.

If you do not tape it fps will drop, I know this from experiens with SA80,minimi,& SLR.

Another thing I notised was that STAR's hopup rubber is also slitely thicker at least on SA80.

So same applies with changeing the hopup rubber to differant make.

Hope this helps.

TAG remove the 2 screws on either side of gun & the pin for the mag release, slide the 2 halfs apart. :D

OH by the way ,teflon tape the hopup for snugg fit.

STAR's inner barrels outer diamiter is slitely larger than other makes.

If you do not tape it fps will drop, I know this from experiens with SA80,minimi,& SLR.

Another thing I notised was that STAR's hopup rubber is also slitely thicker at least on SA80.

So same applies with changeing the hopup rubber to differant make.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it was the pin for the mag release holding it in. I've replaced the barrel now and I'm very impressed with the range and accuracy and also the build quality, very nicely put together. Next bit is to convert an old LMG mag, if I ever find it, I wonder if it'll fit?

I haven't tested it yet, I'll do it later but the range is amazing so I'm not too worried about it losing a few fps.

Here's a useful tip I found when I had mine in bits, if you take the butt off there's a grub screw at the back of the block that tightens the body release catch, if you thighten it right up the catch won't work but it makes the body rock solid. As I don't want to open it by accident or unless I'm working on it this is ideal. Also theres another grub screw between the front sight and the gas regulator, my front end felt a bit wobbly and I tightened this screw and now its solid.

I haven't tested it yet, I'll do it later but the range is amazing so I'm not too worried about it losing a few fps.

Here's a useful tip I found when I had mine in bits, if you take the butt off there's a grub screw at the back of the block that tightens the body release catch, if you thighten it right up the catch won't work but it makes the body rock solid. As I don't want to open it by accident or unless I'm working on it this is ideal. Also theres another grub screw between the front sight and the gas regulator, my front end felt a bit wobbly and I tightened this screw and now its solid.

Hey Double-Tap. i'm about to replace my l1a1 barrel for a tighter one (if i manage to get the gun open!) Ive never replaced a barrel before so i'm a little nervous. Is it fairly straight forward or a task for the expert only?

No mate, it's very easy. This is how I did it.

Important note - when you split the body open, do not move the safety catch. If you do you might need to take the gearbox out to reset it (Like I did :( )

1/ Undo this bolt and remove the stock

2/ Take out this screw and slide out the rear sight unit

3/ Back off this grub screw until the body release catch (4) moves fully

Items 1 and 3 may not be needed if yours opens far enough

Push the hop unit forward and break open the weapon as described earlier in this thread, don't force it. It only needs to open far enough to slide the top cover out, that's why I took the rear sight off.

Unclip the cocking handle rod and spring (rats tail) and slide it out

Err? where did item 5 go? Oh well, I can't be bothered to start again.

You might need to tap out pin 6 which is the spindle for the mag catch if the body won't split far enough. If you don't take it out you might break the catch.

Remove the 4 screws (7) to undo the hop unit clips and you should be able to slide the barrel out

When you put it back together I'd suggest you fully tighten the grub screw (3) to stop the body wobbling.

Push out the barrel retaining clip (half round clip) and be careful not to break it in half, hold the hop unit upside down and slowly withdraw the barrel, if you feel resistance or you see the hop rubber getting caught, push it back in and try again. Keep the hop upside down or you might lose the hop bucking. If it does come out you'll need to undo the screw at the back of the adjuster wheel and take it apart. After you've put the barrel back in you'll need to put the hop unit back together.

In the time it took me to type all that I could have done it. Take a deep breath and be brave.

barrel%20change.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so i managed to swap out the barrel for 590 prometheus. (this is the exact same length as the stock barrel, for those wanting to do the same. you could fit a longer one in if you wanted to go to the tip of the flash hidder) It was a relatively easy process thanks to the handy tutorial of Double tap. Keeping the hop rubber in tact was tricky though, as its incredibly delicate. You really have to tease the barrel out carefully over the rubber sleeve and mine got a little chewed at the end (no where near the hole in the barrel where the hop pokes through, so i'm hoping it won't effect it) It shot with very tight groupings and a little more range as a result. But overall the gun still shoots slightly to the right. any one else found this? Was wondering whether it might be to do with the flash hider being slightly misaligned to the right. it doesn't touch the bb but the air resistance might knock it slightly when the bb leaves the inner barrel? Also, i presently have a hurricane p90 spring and i'm getting around 325 fps.. any one got any suggestions for a spring that might bump up the fps to 350?

so i managed to swap out the barrel for 590 prometheus. (this is the exact same length as the stock barrel, for those wanting to do the same. you could fit a longer one in if you wanted to go to the tip of the flash hidder) It was a relatively easy process thanks to the handy tutorial of Double tap. Keeping the hop rubber in tact was tricky though, as its incredibly delicate. You really have to tease the barrel out carefully over the rubber sleeve and mine got a little chewed at the end (no where near the hole in the barrel where the hop pokes through, so i'm hoping it won't effect it) It shot with very tight groupings and a little more range as a result. But overall the gun still shoots slightly to the right. any one else found this? Was wondering whether it might be to do with the flash hider being slightly misaligned to the right. it doesn't touch the bb but the air resistance might knock it slightly when the bb leaves the inner barrel? Also, i presently have a hurricane p90 spring and i'm getting around 325 fps.. any one got any suggestions for a spring that might bump up the fps to 350?

Good to hear you managed it without too much difficulty. My rounds turn slightly left at the end of flight, I think it's maybe just down to the barrel being slightly out of line in the hop unit causing more pressure on the round at one side. It's not something that worries me enough to faff about with it again, given the range it has anyway I'm not worried about the last few metres, anyway if a sparrow farted as the round went past it'd probably knock it further off course. I have been thinking about getting one of these but I'll probably wait until something goes wrong with it first. I'm enjoying using it too much as it is.

slr is firing a beaut now! just needed some silicone oil. Stuck to the hurricane m90 spring with promethius 590 barrel. shoots around 325 fps and has a ridiculous range and accuracy. (I tried out a guarder m100 spring but for some reason it totally threw the accuracy and the fps went through the roof! Not good if your site limit is 350) i've fitted the auto selector.. i know some think its sacrilege. Maybe on the real weapon, but a single shot aeg wasn't really cutting it at 320 fps when faced with a barrage of turbo motored full auto m4s! And breaking the weapon every time you want to engage full auto was a right pain.

Also, some hot news here for slr owners - Hicap mags on the way!

hi cap slr mag

Why would you want a hi-cap?. :o

I have never understood why some people stick a 400rnd mag in a M4, G36, or what ever & then use it like a support.

Why not just buy a Minimi. ;)

Don't get me wrong you can buy what ever you want to , I just don't understand it.

Is their aim realy that bad. :P

( not refering to anyone in perticula )!!!!

I have never understood why some people stick a 400rnd mag in a M4, G36, or what ever & then use it like a support.

Don't get me wrong you can buy what ever you want to , I just don't understand it.

Maybe they can't afford to buy 10-15 locap's or the gear to carry them in, maybe they want to be able to just get there gun and play withou having to fuss around with speed loaders and such, maybe they want to be able to have a small gun that has a large ammo capacity.

It really annoys me when people say ' why would you want a hicap', what's it to do with you if they want one or not, aslong as they are good sports then why does it matter if they have a single hicap or 30 lowcap's.

And just so you know i don't use hicaps often only with the M249, even then sometimes use 30 rounders.

Viral.

I can see your point noodles. But i've found, apart from anything else. People quite often don't take their hits when hit with single shot.. its like it has to be raining plastic before the hand will shoot up! (unless you have an overpowered sniper rifle that embeds a bb under the skin) Also i must say the constant speed loading.. putting away, taking out, losing behind a bush gets rather tiresome after a while. I am a big fan of the slr but come on folks.. these arn't real guns and don't function like them! They shoot plastic balls a few hundred feet!! a Star L1a1 aeg dosn't have an awesome stopping power and kick like a horse either!

Archived