Straight pull bolt?

mcnuggets

I've never owned a bolt action airsoft rifle so I don't know exactly how they work . When I eventually do get a sniper gun I'd like to modify it to make cocking from the left hand easier. The whole reaching over and pulling the bolt is annoying and significantly cuts down my ROF. I would like to know if rotating the bolt before pulling it back is necessary. Can the bolt just be pulled straight back and accomplish the same thing? I have an idea about using a simple (although admittedly aesthetically unpleasing) modification of the bolt where instead of having the handle curved and recessed into the notch of the stock just have it hanging straight out. Here's what I'm thinking about taking a look at the bolt from the perspective of shooting the gun:

bolt.JPG

Where A.) is the stock setup and B.) would be my proposed modification. Modification of the stock isn't necessary and fire rates are sped up by eliminating the initial bolt rotation step. Any thoughts on this?

I doubt it would really work because you dont just rotate the bolt you are inturn rotating the firing mech and parts which are locked in place for a reason. Well i mean in RS terms its there for a reason so the bolt doesnt fly back into your face and kill you. But i would assume the airsoft snipers also need to lock in place.

Mcnuggets

browse over to my site and have a look at the guide posted above mate, should help you with your problem.

the main problem i found with like you said having to reach over, wasnt so much the ROF but the ammount of movement involved, thus making you move more and more noticble when concealed.

I doubt it would really work because you dont just rotate the bolt you are inturn rotating the firing mech and parts which are locked in place for a reason. Well i mean in RS terms its there for a reason so the bolt doesnt fly back into your face and kill you. But i would assume the airsoft snipers also need to lock in place.

The Schmidt-Rubin K31 and Steyr-Mannlicher M95 operate with a straight pull. ;)

I'm going to try to remove the bolt and implement a straight bolt in its place. A friend of mine is a ME major with access to a machine shop so maybe he can make me something. I'd like to avoid modifying the stock and receiver if possible. I'd like a quicker system for the sake of ROF.

Straight-pull bolt actions certainly do work. The Ross Rifle(Canada), K31(Switzerland), and Steyr M95(Austria/Austria-Hungary) have all been used as frontline service rifles. Well, the Swiss haven't actually needed to use them in a war, but the principle stands. The Ross and K31 are two of the most accurate rifles out there, in terms of Military Surplus, if you can find one in good condition.

The locking lugs work a bit differently in straight-pulls, http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl24-e.htm has a diagram that illustrates the way the Ross works.

A friend of mine has his Grandfather's old service K31 ((That's the other great thing about the Swiss - when you leave service you can buy your rifle!)) and I can vouch for its accuracy. It not only has a straight-pull bolt, but its barrel is free-floated, and it outshoots most modern rifles that I've seen it up against at the range.

uhm, just use your right hand to pull the bolt while holding it with your left.

whats the problem with that?

because:

-its not as comfortable as pulling with your trigger hand

-you cant keep your target in the scope

-its more movement

-upgraded spring can make it rather uncomfortable, seeing your pulling across not directly back.

if any of you do try to mod your vsr-10 to have a straight bolt pull there is one part in your trigger mech you have to remove. the vsr-10 can only fire when the bolt handle is down this is because when it is up the inside of the bolt handle hits a part inside the trigger mech that stops the trigger from working. when the bolt handle is down the stop moves away. you can remove that part with out any damage to your gun and it wil lstill function fine. that part isnt in a zero trigger either. it is the little part on a spring which is clearly visible when you look at you trigger mech.

if any of you do try to mod your vsr-10 to have a straight bolt pull there is one part in your trigger mech you have to remove. the vsr-10 can only fire when the bolt handle is down this is because when it is up the inside of the bolt handle hits a part inside the trigger mech that stops the trigger from working. when the bolt handle is down the stop moves away. you can remove that part with out any damage to your gun and it wil lstill function fine. that part isnt in a zero trigger either. it is the little part on a spring which is clearly visible when you look at you trigger mech.

will have to try this when i get a Bar10 :)

Archived