House Resolution 607

HeartBreaker1317

Though this piece of legislation is a bit old ((Circa January, 2007)) I think it's newsworthy enough as it would mean quite a bit to U.S. softers.

I searched and couldn't find any threads on it, so here it is -

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-607

Maybe Cybergun will come off its patent trollign horse if this gets passed. Write your congressmen Americans, and help get this passed!

All DoD contracts must stipulate that Real Steel manufacturers cannot demand or collect royalties from replica manufacturers. This applies to everything from airsoft to model airplanes, but obviously here the concern is firearms and their associated kit, along with soldier-y stuff.

Also, concievably, you could build a replica Hummer, or M1A1 Abrams, but that's a different forum altogether.

Essentially, allowing anyone to make money copying something that someone else has worked hard for, without reprocussions. <_<

Making money copying something someone else is making for the government of the United States. They're making their money, and s___-loads of it. They don't need royalties from replica items to make money.

I have to agree with Jag... it's not like the bill says it's ok to counterfeit their products, it just extends fair use to replicas. I mean really, how does puting a "Colt" trademark on an AEG infringe on Colt's firearms business? The engineering of the AEG is totally distinct from that of the real steel and and AEG isn't in anyway a competing product. The only similarity is the shape and the pretty little picture / text / trademark

When I first saw the name, I thought it was an American VCRB clone. I nearly hit the roof.

Then I read the summary and now I have to say I'm both relieved and a fan of this proposal. Besides, I've always seen airsoft guns as a form of free advertising for real-steel companies. :P

I have to agree with Jag... it's not like the bill says it's ok to counterfeit their products, it just extends fair use to replicas. I mean really, how does puting a "Colt" trademark on an AEG infringe on Colt's firearms business? The engineering of the AEG is totally distinct from that of the real steel and and AEG isn't in anyway a competing product. The only similarity is the shape and the pretty little picture / text / trademark

It doesn't just cover airsoft guns but toys, as well. I have a model F-35B that says under the wing 'F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: used under license'. So now toy companies are having to get licenses from Boeing and AM to make toy versions of the vehicles and equipment used by the US military. I'm pretty sure that if you looked at F-14 and F-15 models and toys made a decade or more ago, you wouldn't find anything saying 'F-14D Tomcat: used under license'. Of course, there is still a purpose and a point to getting said licensing, even if this legislation is passed: Collectors would buy the officially licensed stuff simply because there would be no question about the scale and proportions being accurate.

/ramble

When I first saw the name, I thought it was an American VCRB clone. I nearly hit the roof.

Then I read the summary and now I have to say I'm both relieved and a fan of this proposal. Besides, I've always seen airsoft guns as a form of free advertising for real-steel companies. :P

I'd never suggest trying to get the U.S. Legislature to pass anything cloning the VCRA, cheap and ACM or not :rolleyes: .

I don't understand the real steel manufacturers position in trade dress litigation, as airsoft models are not actually competing with their product (("Hmmm, excuse me Mr. Gun Store Operator, I'm looking at these two products and trying to decide which fits my needs better." Gun Store Operator looks at the customer's picks. "Well, this one here is very useful for such activities as small to medium game hunting, home defense, and was made at the Springfield armoury. This one is useless for any form of hunting, home defence, &c., but is perfect if you want to run around at an airsoft game shooting at your buddies and having a good time. It was also made in Japan, or maybe Hong Kong." "Oh, but I think that last one would be perfect for hunting, as it's much cheaper, so I'm going to buy that." - See, it doesn't make sense.)) and it would be like Coca Cola suing a snowboard manufacturer who uses a similar profile to a 'coke bottle' with red colouring and a white stripe. To products which, while appearing similar, are so different that 'Only a Moron in a Hurry' could fail to distinguish them ((Thank god for British Judges and their collective additions to the legal vernacular.)).

While I havent read the bill yet from the sounds of it something like this doesnt apply to trades but the style. For instance, Colt cant sue an airsoft manufacturer for labeling something as an "M4" because the term includes many different companies that produce Carbine length M16's. Likewise M16's are not soley produced by Armalite, FN, Oly Arms, etc so calling a replica made by G&P an M16 is legal w/out having to pay royalties for using said name. It does not make having FN Trades on a G&P legal to come into the US however. I think that may be a little better insight into the issue. Maybe if I get time later I'll look into it a little more in depth but I'm preping for a Renaissance Festival in nearly freezing temperatures!

While I havent read the bill yet from the sounds of it something like this doesnt apply to trades but the style. For instance, Colt cant sue an airsoft manufacturer for labeling something as an "M4" because the term includes many different companies that produce Carbine length M16's. Likewise M16's are not soley produced by Armalite, FN, Oly Arms, etc so calling a replica made by G&P an M16 is legal w/out having to pay royalties for using said name. It does not make having FN Trades on a G&P legal to come into the US however. I think that may be a little better insight into the issue. Maybe if I get time later I'll look into it a little more in depth but I'm preping for a Renaissance Festival in nearly freezing temperatures!

OK, Let me retract my last statement. I didn't fully understand what the bill stated.

"To prohibit defense contractors from requiring licenses or fees for use of military likenesses and designations."

This would then include the design/style (likeness) and the type or model number (designation).

My only question: Why is it any different than what they are doing now?

I know that one of the concerns of real steel manufactures regarding replicas using their trades is that an end user may think that their airsoft M4 was actually made by Colt (for example). This could be a problem when Colt has to deal with end users trying to have their airsoft gun serviced.

I've seen it happen.

I've talked to a Police Officer who thought he bought an M4 that was actually made by Armalite when he had, in reality, purchased a Classic Army. He was upset to find out that he had "paid extra to get an Armalite" only to find out Armalite doesn't make a single part on his gun.

Classic Army, however, has been licensed by ArmaLite to use ArmaLite's trademarks. Just as they have been licensed by DS Arms to use their trades on their SA 58-series FALs and by SAR to use SAR trades on their M41-series G3s. And by Steyr to use their trades on their AUG-series.

In other words, the only problem here is that your cop friend didn't do his research.

EDIT: And by Arsenal to use their trades on their Kalashnikovs.

It doesn't just cover airsoft guns but toys, as well. I have a model F-35B that says under the wing 'F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: used under license'. So now toy companies are having to get licenses from Boeing and AM to make toy versions of the vehicles and equipment used by the US military. I'm pretty sure that if you looked at F-14 and F-15 models and toys made a decade or more ago, you wouldn't find anything saying 'F-14D Tomcat: used under license'. Of course, there is still a purpose and a point to getting said licensing, even if this legislation is passed: Collectors would buy the officially licensed stuff simply because there would be no question about the scale and proportions being accurate.

/ramble

I wouldn't be so sure. Sig Arms (US) sells the KJ version of the P226 and P229 on their website, so endorsement and licensing doesn't necessarily mean quality :P

Guys,

The way I'm reading it, it's nothing to do with who can copy what.

What it's saying is that Colt (for example) are not allowed to franchise an "officially licensed" replica M4.

FWIW, in terms of airsoft this won't do much to control trademark usage.

Why?

Well, since the US is so paranoid about ensuring that ONLY domestic manufacturers produce military weapons, most companies in question have US subsiduaries.

If Glock or Beretta (for example) decided to license their weapons to a replica manufacturer the main company could easily do so because it's Glock USA and Beretta USA who supply those weapons to the military. Same thing with SIG and HK too, unless I'm mistaken.

About the only gun that this would affect (that I can think of) would be the Colt trademarked ICS M4 and, unless I'm mistaken, you can't buy that in the USA anyway because Colt didn't license the use of their trades for the domestic market.

I agree with SB.

I'd never suggest trying to get the U.S. Legislature to pass anything cloning the VCRA, cheap and ACM or not :rolleyes: .

I don't understand the real steel manufacturers position in trade dress litigation, as airsoft models are not actually competing with their product (("Hmmm, excuse me Mr. Gun Store Operator, I'm looking at these two products and trying to decide which fits my needs better." Gun Store Operator looks at the customer's picks. "Well, this one here is very useful for such activities as small to medium game hunting, home defense, and was made at the Springfield armoury. This one is useless for any form of hunting, home defence, &c., but is perfect if you want to run around at an airsoft game shooting at your buddies and having a good time. It was also made in Japan, or maybe Hong Kong." "Oh, but I think that last one would be perfect for hunting, as it's much cheaper, so I'm going to buy that." - See, it doesn't make sense.)) and it would be like Coca Cola suing a snowboard manufacturer who uses a similar profile to a 'coke bottle' with red colouring and a white stripe. To products which, while appearing similar, are so different that 'Only a Moron in a Hurry' could fail to distinguish them ((Thank god for British Judges and their collective additions to the legal vernacular.)).

Reading the font ^courier^ makes me feel like I'm reading a college term paper. Ugggghhh...

And in regards to the your comment, you'd be surprised how often the real steel community confuses airsoft products as the real deal. One classic example is the Noveske Rifleworks KX3 Flash hider. Enough real steel users were complaining to Noveske that their FH (they unknowingly bought AEG ones) wouldn't work with their guns that Noveske started to freak out. It happens.

This has no effect whatsoever on trademarks. It simply means that companies can no longer bring suits seeking compensation or injunctions as a result of toy manufacturers for using military designations for look alike toys. The most noticable effect this would have on airsoft would be that retailers would no longer have to *beep* foot around using terms like "M4", "M16", or "M9" in advertising products online.

Archived