What BBs?

Stuey

Hi

I would like to find out what BBs everybody thinks are the best and which ones they have had experience with. I HAVE used the search button but a lot of the threads were out of date, or didn't really come to any conclusion.

Now, I've just bought 18,500 Excel .20s and feel like a bit of plonker because I've read lots of threads that say how bad they are. There are always some people who say they're fine, but the general consensus is that they're not worth it. The ones I've got seem to be OK but I would like to know if the following brands (which I can also get cheaply) are any good:

Tokyo Marui

Blaster (The site I go to sells these and Excels)

ICS

Q-Bullet

Also, is it impossible to get the much-vaunted KCS and Airsoft Elite BBs from a UK retailer?

Thanks,

Stu

There are VERY mixed opinions about Excels, they are living hell for some people, causing jams, not getting any hop or simple dropping out of the barrel! While somehow there are also people like me, I've used Excels through all my 3 years of airsoft and have not had a single jam, and no problems whatsoever with them. Nor have I ever found malformed bb's. They are the only brand of BB sold at my local site (Combat South Woodland) and almost everyone uses them without problems.

I'm really not sure what the deal is with them, try them yourself... If you dare!?!?!? :|

Hmmm yeah that's the conclusion I came to. I will see how I get on with the 18,500 I bought. If I don't have any probs I might be brave enough to order some more...

What weight have you been using?

The Blasters I used when I went for my first skirmish seeming fine...They ran through the (presumably stock and very battered) TM AK Beta I was using just fine and the range/power/accuracy was the same as I'm getting now on Excels (I've got a TM AK Beta too). I also didn't hear any angry yells from people whose gun had jammed so I think everybody else used them OK too. I think I'll try those or ICS ones next - I've heard good things about ICS BBs too.

Stu

Hmmm yeah that's the conclusion I came to. I will see how I get on with the 18,500 I bought. If I don't have any probs I might be brave enough to order some more...

What weight have you been using?

The Blasters I used when I went for my first skirmish seeming fine...They ran through the (presumably stock and very battered) TM AK Beta I was using just fine and the range/power/accuracy was the same as I'm getting now on Excels (I've got a TM AK Beta too). I also didn't hear any angry yells from people whose gun had jammed so I think everybody else used them OK too. I think I'll try those or ICS ones next - I've heard good things about ICS BBs too.

Stu

ics are good ,thats what I've been using recently. I've used most brands and never had problems with any though. Gold fire are quite popular

I have the TM Beta with Prometheus 6.03 TB barrel and ran Excels fine, but I am useing Airsoft Elite .2's now:) I would say your fine.

PS. that Prometheus 6.03 Tightbore barrel is amazing in the Spets. My gun is stock other than that and the accuracy and grouping are much better + I got 20fps higher. Croned at 280fps last game and shoots 150-160ft:) Also the $40 G&P metal lower reciever is a good add on. I love mine!

ics are good ,thats what I've been using recently. I've used most brands and never had problems with any though. Gold fire are quite popular

Thanks for the reasurrance about the ICS ammo, I'm a newb with limited funds so I need to be 200% sure that I'm not wasting my money. I did see Gold Fire BBs, but I read somewhere that they were low-quality, so I didn't bother with them. However, I've seen on this forum that lots of people like them, so if I ever buy anything from Airsoft Armoury I'll give them a try. Wolf do sell them, but they are literally twice the price - £9.99 for 3000 BBs!

I have the TM Beta with Prometheus 6.03 TB barrel and ran Excels fine, but I am useing Airsoft Elite .2's now:) I would say your fine.

PS. that Prometheus 6.03 Tightbore barrel is amazing in the Spets. My gun is stock other than that and the accuracy and grouping are much better + I got 20fps higher. Croned at 280fps last game and shoots 150-160ft:) Also the $40 G&P metal lower reciever is a good add on. I love mine!

Yeah unfortunately I can't easily get Airsoft Elite BBs in the UK, although I do keep hearing how good they are from American players. I think I'll be fine too, so long as I check to make sure I don't have any bad bags with plastic zebras in...

Thanks for the tips on the Spets, I was thinking of getting a tightbore, but I was going to try to get a 6.01 for maximum accuracy. Anyone know if ICS or Blaster BBs will go through a 6.01? I heard Excels will easily 'coz they're a bit small, which would defeat the object of a tightbore.

280fps AFTER the extra 20? Mind you there's a bit of paper in my box that says that mine only averages 265. Sadly, the G&P body is £55 in the UK, still the cheapest though. I'll probably get one at some point.

Anyway, back on topic - any more BB experiences/opinions/advice?

Stu

EDIT: I found the place where it says that Gold Fire are low quality. It's here, at the of the third paragraph in the "Performance" section - on Arnies!

Anyone know if ICS or Blaster BBs will go through a 6.01? I heard Excels will easily 'coz they're a bit small, which would defeat the object of a tightbore.

Well I can't speak for AEG's, but I fire ICS bb's through my sniper with a PDI 6.01mm barrel for chrono checks, and they all feed absolutely fine. The only BB's I've had jam are the Digicon 0.36g bb's. But we won't go there as it's outside the context of this thread... <_<

Well I can't speak for AEG's, but I fire ICS bb's through my sniper with a PDI 6.01mm barrel for chrono checks, and they all feed absolutely fine. The only BB's I've had jam are the Digicon 0.36g bb's. But we won't go there as it's outside the context of this thread... <_<

Right then looks like ICS are fine, they're really cheap too, £6.99 for 5000 from Zero One- cheaper than the super cheap offer on Airsoft World!

Hey that's odd I thought Digicon were super high quality sniper-target BBs?

Bodgeups, what brand tightbore is yours? This is drifting slightly but where should I get my 6.01 from? I am aware of DB Customs or whatever it's called, but they're American and if I'm going to order from overseas I might as well go the whole hog and get a PDI from RedWolf (here)...or are DB better?

Stu

Hey that's odd I thought Digicon were super high quality sniper-target BBs?

Nein. Super-heavy yes. Super high quality, no. They serve their purpose well enough, but if you want the best BB's then you are looking for the Maruzen Super Grand Master bb's.

Read my post again mate. I might have mentioned where I bought it from ;)

Darn it sorry! It's late I missed that and skipped straight to the "6.01" bit :)

So PDI barrels are good then, ja?

Nein. Super-heavy yes. Super high quality, no. They serve their purpose well enough, but if you want the best BB's then you are looking for the Maruzen Super Grand Master bb's.

Oh right I learnt one thing. Yeah I heard about SGMs.

Wierdguy, I also heard Killer Beez are good, but I can't find them in Britain. And 'invisible'? They're just normal white aren't they?

Stu

My experiences:

Bad:

ICS black - wont fire in some of my guns with improved hops

Anything .12 :P

Good:

Excel - except I got sprues in some and there was a stage where they were coming up with ridges in them

Goldfire .25 - I was pleased with these

ICS white - average

QBullet - likewise

Best:

Blaster - never had a problem with these, .2 or .25. Both fired through my temperamental MAC11 just fine...but not as quite as well as...

Bestestestest:

White Devil - I cringe every time I say the name, and more so when I see the cost, but these are the perfect BB unless you go into SGMs and Digicon Straights

My experiences:

Bad:

ICS black - wont fire in some of my guns with improved hops

Anything .12 :P

Well that's given, unless they're Marui or Xtreme :)

ICS white - average

QBullet - likewise

Best:

Blaster - never had a problem with these, .2 or .25. Both fired through my temperamental MAC11 just fine...but not as quite as well as...

Bestestestest:

White Devil - I cringe every time I say the name, and more so when I see the cost, but these are the perfect BB unless you go into SGMs and Digicon Straights

Well that keeps up the opinion that ICS are good and so are Blaster. I've heard White Devil pop up before...where do you get them from?

Stu

PS - Hmmm firing SGMs through a MAC-11...how quickly can you empty YOUR wallet? :P

Wolf Armouries (although they are utter pants as a shop) certainly used to sell WDs, but I dont know if they still do. The other place I got them from was Guerilla...but again, they have lousy customer service (took 3 months for me to get delivery).

M11 on semi using SGMs. It was a sight to behold accuracy wise...for the 3 shots it fired between catastrophic breakdowns :D

Wolf Armouries (although they are utter pants as a shop) certainly used to sell WDs, but I dont know if they still do. The other place I got them from was Guerilla...but again, they have lousy customer service (took 3 months for me to get delivery).

Wolf don't still sell WDs, their site says they have been discontinued...but by the manufacturer or just by Wolf? Anyway, when they were selling them it was £12.99 for 2950 BBs - that's crazy money! Nearly 0.5p per BB!

M11 on semi using SGMs. It was a sight to behold accuracy wise...for the 3 shots it fired between catastrophic breakdowns :D

Hehe yeah...is there a way of making the M11 reliable or is it just an urban myth... :)

what about these new extreme precisions what are they like anyone care to share ? ive got some and they all seem good

The ones from Airsoft World? Yeah I have 17,500 of the Biodegradable 0.20g ones and they're brilliant. I have to use them 'coz my mum complains about the garden filling up with BBs... :D

It's wierd, the Xtreme normal (non-bio) ammo is top quality and quite expensive (too much for me to buy lots of), but the bio ammo is the cheapest bio ammo our there and it's still top quality...go figure.

Stu

PS - Storm, whats with the double post? :huh:

im a noob .

i went to move off to another post to read something but i clicked back to get out but i also have a bit of a memory problem and forgot i had already posted lol .. :(

oh good these extreme precision bbs i am putting through my gun are good then =)

the few i shot against a break are good. 8/10 had 1 bubble in the centre!

WDs are expensive but SO worth it. They and Blasters are the only BBs I ever managed to get the M11 to fire.

Forgot as well, I have had a bag of Airsoft Armoury brand BBs and they were fine. When I had ICS, I mixed blacks with whites as tracers and the blacks were between 20 and 25fps slower than the whites. Not good.

As for the M11...I dont think theres any way they can be saved. Once they start breaking down, there is little that can save them. The problem is that the spring that pulls the BB feed ramp/gas feed tunnel back is the weakest spring in Christendom, so ANY friction on that part will simply force the gun to not operate properly. And of course its on top, so it pulls the feed ramp back unequally, so sooner or later the ramp will begin to stick and thats the effective end of the gun.

Mine broke its plastic bolt as well, and even when I put a magnesium bolt in it still didnt fire correctly. And then the handgrip started breaking off...

When I had ICS, I mixed blacks with whites as tracers and the blacks were between 20 and 25fps slower than the whites. Not good.

Looks like I should avoid ICS black then...the whole invisible-ness thing never really appealled to me - I'm still a noob and therefore need to be able to track my shots :D Besides, what's the fun of a firefight when you can't see the BBs filling the air and whistling past your ears as you try to swap mags... :)

Anyway, the slower blacks might actually be realistic 'coz IIRC real tracers have a different trajectory to normal rounds...oops talking about ballsitics :(:rules:

As for the M11...I dont think theres any way they can be saved. Once they start breaking down, there is little that can save them. The problem is that the spring that pulls the BB feed ramp/gas feed tunnel back is the weakest spring in Christendom, so ANY friction on that part will simply force the gun to not operate properly. And of course its on top, so it pulls the feed ramp back unequally, so sooner or later the ramp will begin to stick and thats the effective end of the gun.

Mine broke its plastic bolt as well, and even when I put a magnesium bolt in it still didnt fire correctly. And then the handgrip started breaking off...

Oh poo I wanted one of those... it's a KSC right? What gas broke the bolt? Doesn't matter I'll have to wait until I'm 18 anyway - hopefully they'll have improved by then :)

Anyway I've got school today so I need some sleep...keep posting and I'll catch up later :)

Stu

Silly me double post...I really need to get the hang of this!

Archived