• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, looking at the shiny OD masks gives me a crazy idea...

Add shiny-green latex gloves and green-furnitured weapon, and you'll be pretty close to Army Men -look. Talk about plastic soldiers. Then all you need to do is scream whenever someone brings out the magnifying glass on the sunny days. :)

• 1 month later...

Occassionally I have to wear ACU for certain OPs, such as this past Saturday's OPNH3:

uscmcorpsacu01web.jpguscmcorpsacu02web.jpg

(Second picture is clickable for larger version)

This was actually the first time I used the mask in a major OP. Earlier in the day I had used BitterEnd Goggles for eye protection only. The goggles worked awesome (as they always do)... but after I took three rounds to the mouth (upper lip, lower lip, and tongue) I decided that that was way too close to my teeth to be risking it like that. At the beginning of the second scenario I grabbed one of my ESS NVG Goggles with a Sansei lower face mask attached to it. As I was walking back to the the group huddle, something in me just said... I think it's time for the skull mask. I loved the mask. It protected well, never got hot (which was pretty incredible) and was extremely comfortable. The nose area did squeeze the sides of my nostrils slightly, but it wasn't horrible. I had been hesitant about using the mask in the past as it still had an annoying issue that was inherent with how Sykes designed the straps: I often felt that the mask might slip down. The night before the OP I grabbed some velcro strapping and rigged up a simple strap that attached to the current strap on either side of the face and went over the top of the head. I was very pleasantly surprised by how secure the mask was now, and once I wore my Cavalvy Headset with it, the headset's top strap covered the mask's top strap mostly so it wasn't aesthetically distracting. One issue I did encounter was that the mask made communication a little difficult because it muffled a bit of my voice (which is kinda annoying as I'm a Platoon/Squad Sgt. so giving orders or relaying info to others forced me to talk louder and clearer).

Here's a closeup.

uscmcorpsacu03web.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised that several players recognized me just based on my mask, and a few people who'd never seen it before made some nice comments that they liked the look of it. All of which was appreciated. :)

Always meant to ask uscmc, you tried wearing that with a PASGT or a mich yet?

Found myself wondering about the fit (toying with the idea of buying one of these or a jason style mask, tho I'm getting a jason style mask anyway and with appropriate paint and ventilation holes added to a boiler suit plus a foam latex machete it'll make an awesome halloween loadout :E)

Edited by T3CH
Always meant to ask uscmc, you tried wearing that with a PASGT or a mich yet?

Found myself wondering about the fit (toying with the idea of buying one of these or a jason style mask, tho I'm getting a jason style mask anyway and with appropriate paint and ventilation holes added to a boiler suit plus a foam latex machete it'll make an awesome halloween loadout :E)

Haven't tried it with helmets yet. It's a pretty tall mask and I'd imagine they may not work with helmets, but looking at the first page of this review again, you can clearly see a user wearing it with a helmet. Not sure myself.

Hey! That looks great! Are you able to get a full seal around the Oakley goggles with the Sykes mask? I've always had a hard time getting the Sykes Mask to work with most goggles reliably so that I'm 100% confident zero BBs can sneak past. :(

Hey! That looks great! Are you able to get a full seal around the Oakley goggles with the Sykes mask? I've always had a hard time getting the Sykes Mask to work with most goggles reliably so that I'm 100% confident zero BBs can sneak past. :(

Yup! I'm able to get full seal with it.

Do you think something like Wiley Xs would fit under the mask?

It's suppose to go OVER the mask. Not under. The mask sits too close to the face for any eyewear to go underneath.

Anyway any news on when the Woodland and tigerstripe masks are coming out?

They've been out for a while already... the mask I'm wearing in the photos are of the tiger stripe mask, and that was taken last year on the version 1's.

Tiger Stripe:

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

That's of the version 1. The new paint jobs have more green mixed in.

Here's Woodland:

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by ILLusion
Do you think something like Wiley Xs would fit under the mask?

The mask definitely sits too close to the face.

They've been out for a while already... the mask I'm wearing in the photos are of the tiger stripe mask, and that was taken last year on the version 1's.

Tiger Stripe:

http://www.pbase.com/illusive_airsoft/imag...24/original.jpg[/img]http://www.pbase.com/illusive_airsoft/image/96698625/original.jpg

That's of the version 1. The new paint jobs have more green mixed in.

I think I prefer the Version 1 Tiger Stripe. Subtle and yet effective. Is Cactus Hobbies still the only retailer that sells these?

nope. evike sells them I bleive.

Evike sells something similar but it doesn't have the same sculpt. Also... I just plain and simple don't trust Evike. Any store that I have to argue with for over 20 minutes that I am supposed to get my Sales Taxes back when returning an item... that's one I'd like to avoid.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just got a bit more inventory that came as left overs from another deal... let me know if you have any interest in purchasing another mask, and which style/colour.

Cr@p! I just saw your post!!! Still got any left? :nosleep:

And to keep this post pertinent, this is from today:

uscmcorpshesperia01.jpguscmcorpshesperia02.jpg

• 3 months later...

Seeing as this is tight to your face, can we finally use a full face mask without huge riser mounts?

Can I use glasses with the mask?

I know I said i was gonna buy an AO2 mask, but this one seems better for me.

+ it's cheaper.

Edited by ACOG