WW2 British loadout

immutep

I'm a veteran airsofter, but i've never been one for immitating real loadouts. As a result i need some advice.

I want to start doing WW2 airsoft reinactment games, i dont have anything suitable to wear, the gun i'll be getting from shoot & scoot will be a lee enfield 303 (beatifull piece of kit don't you think?) so my best choice of uniform would probably be british. How real does it have to be? could i "get away" with stand ins in some cases? I've looked and its very difficult to find authentic british uniforms of the right time period to fit me, (170/96 & 75/80/104 are my military sizes in modern terms if somebody could help :P )the ones i have found have either been dress uniform (no good) or have been like £40-50 for just the trousers!

basiclly, does anyone know where i can get hold of the following reliably stocked real or immitation and not coming to more than £100 in total?

British battle dress trousers

british battle dress shirt (tunic i beleive it was called)

british webbing belt & 1 or 2 pouches

british Tommy helmet with cover

suitable boots (i have british assault boots but not sure if these would look right, and my magnums wouldn't suit at all)

Any help/advice will be very greatfully received and if someone happens to be about my size and wants to sell their brtish ww2 kit fantastic!

If you want serge battle dress, then here's the cheapest load out I can think of:

Battle dress jacket and trousers £55 inc shipping from www.replicaters.com

Gaiters or puttees for £5-10 on eBay

37 webbing set (shop around and buy it in bits) for about £25 from Sabre Militaria or eBay

Thompson SMG - about £120 from www.rsov.com with two hi-caps or use a 'captured' MP40

Beret for £10 from eBay

Black DMS boots £7-10 from any surplus store

The replicaters gear is very good - I have two of their suits but be warned serge is VERY hot in the summer. I also have one of their windproof 'SAS' sets which are baggy enough to go over serge in the winter but can be worn on their own in the summer.

You should also check out the WW2 airsoft site http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/index.php - post what you want in the Wanted section as there's always someone selling something you'll want.

And welcome to WW2 airsoft - it rocks!

Yeah, come over to the ww2 airsoft forum and introduce yourself. Plenty of people to help you out.

Also take a look at soldier of fortune. www.sofmilitary.co.uk Its a good place to start then you can expand your search once you know what u want.

Id highly recommend shoot and scoot. My Garand is from there. excellent craftsman ship.

Found:

I personally would get anything from replicators other than their jungle greens and khaki drill.

Their camo items dont hold the dye at all, their serge is the wrong colour and tears easily compared to the real stuff but it is a very cheap deal if you dont want it that accurate and you dont intend to hammer it.

Best & cheapest options...

Denim battledress from the 50s and is WWII pattern and good for summer, i got a BD blouse for £9 off ebay the other day.

Failing that Keith on ebay is doing excellent battledress at about £80 a set.

For windproofs get the ones from 'panzerfaust1943' on ebay (note the are not 'SAS' suits, every bugger got issued them in the 52nd lowland division and a lot of other units got them in cold weather) these are £75 a set and bang on to originals.

Webbing as mentioned - sabre sales. You want to ask for war pattern stuff with brass fittings and popper fastening. You want essentially: belt, cross braces, bayonet frog, water bottle, 2x basic pouch and lightweight respirator case.

For a beret go to What price glory as these are the proper wwii 'large crown' type, modern berets are the wrong size. Note unless you're doing armoured, airborne, commando or recce you want a 'GS cap' not a beret. A cap comforter is a better option.

Heres an article i wrote on brit kit for AI

"Although it may look like something from ‘Dads Army’ the introduction of ‘Battledress’ in 1937 sent shockwaves across the armies of the world and nothing defines the Tommy of WWII more than the Battledress Uniform worn by all Commonwealth Soldiers.

Make no mistake, this awkward looking woolly wargear was in fact revolutionary when it was introduced… in fact this design was as groundbreaking as a set of CRYE Multicam in its day and found its way into the armies of most nations.

It’s tricky to look smart in BD but it does its job well, it’s hardwearing and almost impossible to wreck!

Before this practical BDU came into service the world’s military wore combat uniforms that were effectively brown or grey woollen suits, long jackets and tight fitting trousers with shiny buttons that were a Sgt Major’s parade ground dream but impractical for combat.

In 1937 the British adopted ‘battledress’ and broke the mould - based on sportswear styles of the time this baggy trousers and short combat jackets look required little ‘spit and polish’ and stood up to the rigours of combat. However this new uniform did prove to be very hot in the summer months, particularly if working hard.

Enter ‘denim battledress’ a handy alternative intended for work wear and as an oversuit for extra winter warmth. This quickly became a popular alternative for troops fighting in the warmer climes of the Mediterranean or the hot Normandy summer of 1944. In fact the design was so good that a special tropical version was made for troops fighting in Italy, the western desert and the jungles of Burma.

Economy Measures

Not only did battledress work - it was economical! Despite an incredibly spartan initial design the uniform got an overhaul in 1940 to use up even less cloth in its manufacture and is known as 1940 or ‘austerity’ pattern

This economy quickly caught on with other nations, the Germans used stocks captured after the British evacuation from Dunkirk to clothe u-boat crews and even designed their final 1944 pattern uniform in the same style. The US were so impressed it they designed a close copy in the ‘Ike jacket’.

Durable, warm, and squaddie proof, battledress served the British army well …but what about airsoft?

One of the things that puts a lot of people off doing a British impression is the belief that battledress is uncomfortable (and expensive) - we, however, have ways around this….

Airsoft Options

Today’s airsofters have several options open to them. Firstly finding original battledress in large sizes is almost impossible and if you are lucky, for god’s sake save it – it’s worth a fortune! Luckily there are dozens of companies making excellent reproductions ranging from £50 to £150.

For those not too fussed about ‘stitch counting’ the 1949 pattern of battledress looks almost identical to the wartime stuff and only a real enthusiast will be able to tell the difference. You can get a suit of this pattern for about £20 -£50 and it should last you your entire airsofting life although larger sizes are again harder to get hold of!

However for most airsofters the denim or tropical versions are the answer to your prayers. These suits cost very little and are hard wearing and lightweight, if you find yourself playing in really hot climates then the tropical version is probably for you and if you’re really on a budget a pair of old British army ‘lightweight’ olive green combat trousers will make a great ‘look-a-like’ pair of green denim trousers.

And if you’re still not convinced of the impact of this 1940s classic, have a look at denim jean jackets next time you’re out shopping… you might have seen the design somewhere before.

1937 Pattern Webbing

Like battledress this combat system was in its day the most forward thinking load bearing kit the world had seen. Where other armies used stiff uncomfortable sets of leather webbing that regularly fell apart, cracked or shrunk the UK introduced a modular webbing system that could be tailored to the individuals needs.

If you think modular LBE is a new fad, think again. The 37 webbing set was designed to feature pouches that could easily be swapped around between soldiers allowing a man to only carry the pouches needed for his job while still relying on a common frame of belt and cross straps – however all combat infantrymen would still carry the roomy ‘basic pouches’ to feed the ammo hungry Bren light machine gun.

This new system was made out a of heavy duty woven cotton and proved near indestructible in battle, whilst allowing the soldier to carry all the kit he needed to march, fight and survive.

Wearing 37 pattern webbing however is a nightmare if you don’t know where to start!

Lets look at putting a basic or ‘skeleton order’ together.

First off you need to make sure you have the right size belt for your waist, equally the shoulder ‘brace’ straps come in a ‘normal’ and ‘long’ sizing - today’s well built man really needs ‘long’ belt and braces.

The final bit of kit you will need is a pair of Bren pouches – these have brass hooks on the rear that you’ll need to slide into the cloth loops on the inside of the belt. This is a job that often needs a screwdriver to hold open the loops and pair of pliers to crimp them in place once you’re done!

You can now thread the cross braces through the buckles on the belt and though the brass slits on the top of the pouches (remember to leave the top loop clear as this is for attaching the haversacks shoulder straps).

All this done you have a basic set of 37 webbing and can now add extra items by either sliding them on to the belt or attaching them to the loose ends of the cross braces. You’ll often see the water bottle and entrenching tool carried this way in WWII pictures."

Hope that helps.

Yeah sorry, thats the curse of rapid spell checking and selecting the *wrong* replacement word.

Dont get me wrong its ok kit and fine for airsofting but for a few quid more you could get a much more durable set.

Their BD might be worth it if you're on a budget but dont buy anything camouflage - it just doesnt hold the dye after repeated washes.

Thanx guys, this is very helpfull info. any chance anyones got a picture of how the webbing looks assembled?

I reckon Gadge does - he has many awesome pictures of his highly-accurate, highly-detailed loadouts peppered across the boards. If I find the thread before he gets back, I'll post the link here.

Alertnatively if you get the issue of AI with old school sas on the cover theres a brit kit guide in there.

But as im in a good mood heres the run down.

Assembled and blancoed 37 webbing

fullweb.jpg

Officers pattern 37

DSC00997.jpg

Ammo boots:

DSCN0286.jpg

Bear in mind these are post war, wartime ones have dimpled leather on all but the toe cap and heel.

37 pat, small pack and ground sheet

DSC01597.jpg

Rear view showing lightweight respirator case

DSC01608.jpg

And some more.

37 pattern BD

DSCN0280.jpg

officers 37 pat from the side

sday007ho2.jpg

British jungle green battledress as worn in far east

P1010011-1.jpg

49 pattern post wear battledress retailored to look like officers pattern 40 pattern

(these jackets cost between £5 and £30)

DSC02067.jpg

Field equipment:

DSC00130.jpg

Tank crew holster

DSC00136.jpg

2 Commando impression

DSC00246.jpg

dscf3612ah9.jpg

British windproof suit

melookinghot.jpg

Ok, I'm pretty sure i've seen a grafter boot that'll pass for the footwear.

AWSOME picture btw Gadge, thank you.

P.s. those wrap arounds between the boot and the trouser leg, what are they called so that i can source them?

never mind, found them whilst searching for 37 pat webbing on ebay. Gaiter Anklets right?

P.s. those wrap arounds between the boot and the trouser leg, what are they called so that i can source them?

never mind, found them whilst searching for 37 pat webbing on ebay. Gaiter Anklets right?

They're generally called "Gaiters"... but the correct term is actually "anklets".

Yeah sorry, thats the curse of rapid spell checking and selecting the *wrong* replacement word.

Dont get me wrong its ok kit and fine for airsofting but for a few quid more you could get a much more durable set.

Their BD might be worth it if you're on a budget but dont buy anything camouflage - it just doesnt hold the dye after repeated washes.

Just my tuppence worth... but I've got the Reps SAS smock, Denison and serge. Both the Smock and Denison are fading nicely and match the genuine examples I've seen. The BD is the same colour as the 'real' stuff I have (although that's 50+ years old) and I agree it's thinner but hey, it's also cooler in the summer and they'll line it for free (if your allergic to wooliness like me).

It's also Made To Measure which is a godsend if you're as big as me!

I went there because others on the WW2 forum warned me off eBay Keith - last time I looked he was getting a bunch of bad feedback on eBay and the forums.

Gadge's stuff on 37 webbing is spot on BTW as is the recommendation for Sabre - very cheap but you need to be VERY clear what you want (they have lots of stuff and lots of orders) and I'm told a visit in person can be the most rewarding!

• 3 months later...

Archived