USA Holiday

lilwoggy

Okay, so after reading the thread a bit lower about organising a trip to New York i realised that i'm going to ned some help.

My family and another family, 6 of us in total, are planning to go to the USA for a holiday in 12-14 months time.

We are planning to stay 6 weeks and throughout those 6 weeks are looking for a more... exciting type of holiday.

Our last holiday was to Italy ad we spent 6 weeks there visiting relatives and looking at old churches. So this time we're after a more exciting holiday. This means as little site seeing as possible.

So i thought i would go straight to the americans.

What are some holiday ideas you would reccomend for the USA that involve as little sight seeing as possible? :)

Exciting? Go down to the Bronx with a transparent sack full of $20 bills saying loudly "I really must rush home with all my lovely lottery winnings!" :D

Or knock on a crackhouse door and shout "Open up, I gotta take a pee!".

(Apologies to Mark and Mike for the plagiarism :P ).

Firing range?

It's the US, there's got to be one somewhere where you can go play with some guns! :D 'tis what I want to do when I'm next in the states...

Firing range?

It's the US, there's got to be one somewhere where you can go play with some guns! :D 'tis what I want to do when I'm next in the states...

That is a definite! Cant own suitcase here in Australia, so i'm going to fire anything i can get my hands on *dreams of MP5k* :D

I am interested in the nightlife of New York, but i've also been told that if i dont road trip from LA to Las Vegas in an old muscle car im nuts.

Anything else? its america for god sakes... theres got to be heaps to do!

do what i did for 2 weeks if you like :

for(i=0, i< theDayYouGoHome, i++)

{

*wake up

*urinate for 15 minitues stright

*eat a big american breeakfast

*go to one of disney world/land,waterworld,MGM,eppcot center, or one of the other amusment parks from the morning till it is closed (got to love those rollocosters)

* eat a huge steak (prefferbly a T-bone) dinner

* go to the nearest bar and drink

*sleep

}

p.s : this was in a town called kisseme - good time !

Go somewhere a little less communist than New York, and go shooting. Or, one thing you can do if you want to have a better time and not pay as much as renting guns at a range, go on a firearms board (suggestion: ar15.com or thehighroad.org) and ask if anyone in new your would like to take a foreigner shooting. Gun people are usually really friendly and jump at opportunities to let new people try shooting.

p.s : this was in a town called kisseme - good time !

That's definitely the Kissimmee I know! Nothing but roller coasters and good (albeit overpriced) food. You also might want to check out Nashville, TN. There you'll find a Honky Tonk called Tootsies, right next to the old Opry place. Of course, there are a thousand other Honky Tonks all down Broadway. Take your pick! They're all pretty much the same.

EDIT: There's a thousand shooting ranges all over Tennessee, and I'm sure someone in the Nashville area is active on one of the aforementioned sites.

New York's probably fine for a short visit, but is that part of the States good for 6 weeks?

If you go in the Winter you could spend a weekend in the Big Apple and then 5 and a half week skiing in all the little resorts from there to the Canadian border! (That's what I'd do :) ), but from the air the area around New York doesn't look that exciting for such an extended trip, but maybe the locals will put me right!

You could rent a car (motor home perhaps with so many people) and drive to San Francisco (most people go to LA, but I'd advise you to leave there ASAP - Good if you like theme parks, though) - Alternatively you could go down to Florida - Sounds a bit more interesting (sure you can shoot like billio down there - Try the Carolinas if not) and you could maybe see something launched at Cape Canavarerel and run across Aligator heads Roger-Moore-Style :)

Cheers

New York should keep you occupied for some time. I'd stick to Manhattan and avoid the other boroughs (especially the Bronx and Staten Island). Here's a few tips:

Don't be intimidated by the subway system. It's pretty straight forward and you save yourself a lot of money on cab rides.

If ever go to Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Museum of Natural History remember that the prices are just suggested donations. I routinely pay a penny to get in and they have no problem with that. After you've had your fill of the the museum you can walk right onto Central Park. (Cheap date idea I use all the time).

The Statue of Liberty is pretty boring and is a bit of a pain to get to.

The Financial District all the way downtown is fun and you can buy knockoff everything from the West Indians in Battery Park.

While you're down there check out the NYSE and see the insane amount of security. You're bound to see an M4. (There's a movable "gate" made from pickup truck along with bomb sniffing dogs outside of my job. It's craziness). The WTC ruins has an eery aura to it.

Chinatown is fun and worth taking a look at. Cheap (although at times questionable) food.

Union Square is also pretty fun. If you're a single guy this is the place to check out the bar scene. Lots of hipsters and NYU film school types. Don't worry if you're under 21 they almost never card you in Manhattan. Although a run of the mill Bud will cost you $5-$8. The Australian accent should get you alot of novelty points with the ladies.

Times Square is also worth a look.

Skip Coney Island. The beaches suck. The Cyclone sucks. There's projects right next door.

Don't feel hesitant about those hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The best food in the city comes from those restaurants.

NYC is a pretty safe city. Regardless be wary of people who are a bit too friendly. They're usually looking for a handout.

I definitely think you should check out a baseball game if you're going during the summer. Baseball is always fun. There's two stadiums, Yankees and Shea. Both are pretty easy to get to by subway. Not terribly expensive either.

I also agree with the skiing idea. I think that's good for at least a week. Vermont has good skiing. New Hampshire does also but it's a bit further out.

Since the dollar is tanking so bad (and probably will continue to be doing badly 12-14 months from now) your dollar should go a long way. However even with that little boost NYC is still pretty damned expensive.

With the cameras all around the city and surveillance NYPD helicopters flying around, yeah, it is pretty much the UK.a

I highly suggest not going to NYC at all. It'll be just more of the same with different architecture and different people. NYC is only a worthy stop for its museums and restaurants, but pretty much every restaurant in NYC is stupidly overpriced.

Archived