Shooting Glasses?

The Taurus

Well, thanks for all the input guys!!

I think I am pretty sold on the ESS ICE 2.4 glasses they are pretty cheap, give good protection and seem to have zero fog issues!!

Meh. I'm not impressed. I tested the ESS ICE glasses with a .22rf rifle. Yes, a real rifle. Beat that. :P

I wrote a review of them for the short-lived Safezone magazine here in the UK, of which a copy exists on another forum here I keep mentioning this, not because I'm trying to blow my own trumpet or anything, because people keep asking the same question.

Thanks for the review there helpful stuff!!

There is a downside though! The yellow tinted lenses meant that when I took them off after an hour long game, the safe zone looked so miserable without the shade of yellow brightening things up :s

I used to have some goggles with yellow lenses and I know exactly what you mean, after a couple of hours of wearing them, taking them off the world looks really grey and drab!! Do love the yellow tinted lenses though its like a morale boost in the field :P

I have been shopping around for some ESS ICE 2.4's and ebay definitely seems the cheapest place to go... However apparently there is a bit of a problem with fake/replica ones being sold as genuine ess? Is this really a problem - if so it would mean having to scrape up the extra £15-20 to buy them from a proper shop... :rolleyes:

Please be careful when test-shooting your glasses:

Even though they may apparentely survive shots at point blanc they can have suffered structural damages, damages that are non-apparent, but that can weaken the lens and let i break in the future.

Same thing as with bike helmets: even if they just fall on the floor and havent got a single scratch, you should throw it away and buy a new one.

You should always get two lenses: one for hard testing aand disposing of and one for playing.

Has anyone gotten a pair of Guarder glasses clones from Ebaybanned, Gunner or Rsov? Some go by the brand "Daisy". Like these:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...;products_id=98

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1230

I'm not sure Daisy are Guarder clones... Far as I am aware they're both clones of Riley Xs? At least the C3s are.

Anyways I understand that bit about not re-using test shot lenses. When I was racing it was the same thing, If we were involved in a massive accident and the helmet has evidence of any sort of impact against it, we'd have to switch helmets. Thankfully... I never really had an accident where my helmet bore an impact, because I couldn't really afford a new helmet.

Anyways my new GX1000 (X800 clones) have arrived today. 1st impressions are very good. Came with 3 sets of lenses, clear, yellow and dark brown. They are MUCH more fog resistant than genuine my Bolle X800 lens. Reviews of them strongly indicate that they are designed to withstand BB shots, often taking hits from AEGs putting out more than 328fps at point blank. I mightgo ahead and test this myself, although I'm not sure which lens to sacrifice :( My Bolle X800s have already taken actual skirmishing hits so that's proven.

I noticed the plastic buckle on the GX1000 looks a lot flimsier than the Bolle X800's. However not an issue since I was always planning on using the GX1000 lenses on the Bolle X800 frame. The GX1000 lens fits the Bolle X800's frame a lot more snuggly than the Bolle X800's own lens does. However strangely I cannot get the Bolle X800 lens to fit the GX1000 frame.

I have a pair of ESS Strike Turbofans myself, only had them for about a week, and I already think I've gotten my money's worth with them. A bit pricey yes, but you can't really put a price on your eyesight. Not only are these goggles comfortable but they will hardly fog even under the most strenuous of activities.

Yeah I mostly skirmish in woodland and with the long engagement ranges and relatively low power of the guns (haven't been to a site with over a 350fps limit) I feel pretty safe wearing shooting glasses...

I also don't play much CQB - but when I have, I haven't experienced any fogging problems at all (so I won't hesitate to wear goggles..)

Well we have to put speeds into perspective. 328fps means nothing. Nor does 100m/s. Neither are measurements that we use in daily life. But just think:

328fps is 223.6mph Thats faster than an F1 car on any modern circuit. Nearly 3 10/ths of the speed of sound.

500fps is 340.9mph. Almost as fast as a Maglev train (360mph). Less than 40mph slower than a Supermarine Spitfire.

Yep, I know mass makes a massive(!) difference. Makes ya think though eh?

I use, depending on the Day either

JT Paintball Goggles

Mesh Sensi Goggles

Bog Standard Lab over specs(Rated at en166.1?, equal to a 1.2j impact)

and full blown V Force Paintball mask

I know my gear, and what it is capable of protecting me from, and how it performs in varius weathers, so that is wat I make my choice as to what is more suitable for what days.

I think the common models were the Mk1, Mk5 and the Mk9. Although I hate the clipped wing models, wtf is the deal with that?

sorry for the offtopic

ontopic, I got the ESS Profile Turbofans. I tried glasses, mesh and regular seal goggles. being a bat fastard I managed to fog them. The mesh is certainly second best for me, the only problem I had was that they gave me headaches after a while.

Shooting glasses on face, goggles around neck for style (plus shemagh :D) then when we charge, its goggles on - simple switch, only to be done when 100% sure of no contact, and eyes are covered totally all the time.

Larger PB mask worn on belt (tis my own Army of Two mask till i can get one) for CQB harder firefights, and charging sniper fire. I dont trust my glasses for anything other than long range combat.

Shooting glasses on face, goggles around neck for style (plus shemagh :D) then when we charge, its goggles on - simple switch, only to be done when 100% sure of no contact, and eyes are covered totally all the time.

Larger PB mask worn on belt (tis my own Army of Two mask till i can get one) for CQB harder firefights, and charging sniper fire. I dont trust my glasses for anything other than long range combat.

You mean you actually take your eye protection off mid game, and go out in glasses that you are not that confident using?

In a word tit.

Your eyes are irreplacable, and a stray bb is more than powerful enough to blind you. DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES.

Woo Hoo, Supermarine Spitfire FTW. But what Mk is that?

Mk Vb (so sayeth Wiki).

Does this mean if we put little propellers on our BBs, itd SOUND like a Spitfire too? ;)

---

Glide:

EN166.1 means little. 1 is the optical class. It should have a code - F, B, A or S.

I think what Askey means is that he uses full face for CQB so that his teef and such are protected as well, but in the field at longer ranges he feels more confident that his teef wont be harmed that he switched to glasses.

And unless you put the muzzle of your pistol on your cheek next to your nose and fire into your own eye, there's sod-all chance of a round passing under the ESS ICE glasses and hitting you in the eye.

And, as I said in my published review, if you're stupid enough to do that, you *DESERVE* to go blind.

The ICE glasses are more than sufficient protection, with lenses strong enough to withstand low-powered real steel and "wraparound" enough to protect from every realistic angle of fire. If combined with a helmet, there's no chance of a BB getting into the lens from the rear and richocheting into the eye, and your face and body are in the way of an upwards shot.

I fail to see the problem here.

However, if you choose to use full seal, then that's your choice. Enjoy your fogging. Either way, I think you've laboured your point long enough on the issue.

Well I picked up a Pair of new ESS ICE goggles off ebay for £12 + Postage :lol: They were just listed as 'Army Surplus' so there was only like one other bidder :P

Overall I am very impressed with them. As said above there is very little chance of a bb managing to slip inside even if you try!!! If they do not fog I think that these will be my goggles for some time to come!!

Thanks for all the input guys - really helpful :)

Archived