Bestest Flashlight?

greg

Hello, after a bit of help.

I'm thinking of going for either of the above lights.

If you have either, or both, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Especially if you have first hand experience of how they compare.

They both use the same power source & the same Cree 7090 XR-E 3W led. The Fenix claims 225 lumins whilst the Olight says 250.

The fenix is easy to get in the UK at about £50, where as the Olight seems to only have one supplier, Quality Flashlights UK, who are actually in Austria! A little more expensive at £53, ish.

As yet the Fenix has no compatible remote pressure switch, the olight does & it's only £6.49.

Both use a pair of cr123a's or the rechargeable 18650 lith-ion.

The Fenix has high & low brightness settings where as the Olight has 3 levels & strobe. & there is a 'smooth' reflector available to further focus the beam, for long range penetration.

The Olight looks like the winner on paper, but I'm concerned about how it will perform in real life.

Which of the two has the best beam? & how does the Olight move through it's functions? Will it be ok for use with it's remote pressure switch? Any one know of a UK supplier?

Greg.

I'll try to be as neutral as possible heheh.. as I did this research before I bought into Olight ..

Olight # Fenix (I'vent got a chance to test the M20 yet as it has just been launched, so i'm basing this facts on T20M and TK10)

1. Price is quite similar

2. Quality is about the same. both use the level 3 anodised aluminium .. you can see both the destructive tests... I tried to break mine, but it survived a 3floor drop and run over by car a few times hahahah

3. LED lumens output - about the same, both using Q5 Cree ... but fenix has a tendency to have random colour, some will be with white and some more bluish. As for Olight, they choose all their LED so its all white.. "WC" range colour, in CREE website

4. unfortunately Fenix doesnt offer pressure switch with their range

5. Fenix is an older factory/brand so more people are familiar and got more agents... Olight was established in 2007

6. Fenix is more of a "Flood-shorter range, more light spill" torch where as olight is more "throw-longer range, smaller head"

7. Olight has auto remember - for the last function used. where as Fenix reset the function each time. but some people like to start low as with fenix's where I like to keep the torch at strobes hehehe.. i believe Fenix have to 1/2 click and turn head to change to strobe. where as olight you need to turn the head to the right 1/8turn and back to the left to change modes.

As for the M20Warrior, I'm getting my sample within this week and hopefully i can get some review of it done in term of Airsofter ^.^

I'm definitely digging the removable stainless steel bezel head and tail.... and the OD colour ehehhehe

I've actually listed another 2 agents of Olight in europe in my earlier thread

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...&hl=warrior

Its

http://heinnie.com/

And glowgadget

As for ultrafire, they are not the same as Olight and or Fenix. Ultrafire/solarforce/spiderfire and the rest are copycats of the Surefire range. Basicly they just copy the body and put an LED head. as for Olight/Fenix/Inova/Jetbeam, they did their own thing and Innovate.

And on the quality, you'll be comparing the Roll Royces of Gladius/surefire/streamlight to the merc of the olight/fenix/inova to the toyota of ultrafire ehheheh

Hope that helps and me not being to subjective heheheh

Nicholas

I like cheap Chinese torches. Like those that can be found at DealExtreme.com...usually, you can get them for around $30 (about the price of a Surefire G2, if you go that route), and lumen count is decent (from 40 to 400 or so, depending on model/price), beam is good to excellent, and quality is good.

As an example, Ultrafire is good.

-Vic

I've got this Fenix and it's very good.

Not only that, it takes AA batteries as opposed to the expensive cr123. Being thinner than a surefire g2 I reckon you'd have some difficulty with mounting on a gun, but quite a bit better in my opinion than a g2 (non led). Also the 180 lumen strobe function would probably come in useful in cqb enviroments.

2.2 cm at it's thickest and 1.9cm at the midpoint (where youd put a mount I assume)

Anyway hope it helps.

Surefire = bestest

Many thanks for N1ch0 for actually answering my questiion.

I was expecting a few comments like the one above from Jenkem & really didn't want to be pulled off topic.

However, Jenk,,,,,,,,,,,WAKE UP!!!!! :rolleyes:

Gone are the days when surefire were a sure thing. Please feel free to blemish this thread with a justification for your post, but remember I was asking for a comparison of a pair of 200 lumin+, 2 x cr123a, bullet proof, £50 torches. :mellow:

An area of the market which Surefire has yet to break into. ;) The nearest they can get is half the power at twice the cost. :D Or am I wrong???? :huh:

Greg.

I've only ever owned Surefire's flashlights and pistol lights for home protection and they're all been very bright and have the famous "corona" of light with an intense dot of light in the center.

its what the best of the best use so its always been good enough for me but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in finding a cheaper and better light.

1, I've only ever owned Surefire's flashlights and pistol lights for home protection and

2, they're all been very bright and have the famous "corona" of light with an intense dot of light in the center.

3, its what the best of the best use so

4, its always been good enough for me but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in finding a cheaper and better light.

1, Fair enough, I understand your skepticism/naivety.

2, Yes, compared to a mag light!

3, Debatable, but who cares. :rolleyes:

4, This my friend , is your redeeming feature:

Do a bit of first hand research, you will be amazed at what sort of alternatives are available.

Up 'til a year ago, I was also a Sure-head & have several of their lights: 6P, G2 & M4 dev, all with the upgrade trimmings & the huge bill.

I then got a G & P scorp M500, which is a rechargeable 500 lumen M4 copy. It is brighter, than the S/f M4, lighter & slightly smaller. It's rechargeable from the car or home & the bat lasts about 2 hours. The M4 was good for about 45 mins, not as bright & not rechargeable. I dive & can tell you that they are both fine in the water. But if I dropped one I would be gutted if it was the M4,,,,,,,,,,,'cos it cost 5 times as much as the G&P. So guess which one I use?

Yep, the one that cost bugger all, & completely out performs the Surefire.

Bare in mind, this was last year & the G&P is a conventional bulb. At that point, the LED torches I'd seen were pretty poor, but now things have changed.

Surefire are presently trading on a name that was the market leader. However right now they are trailing well behind.

Fenix & Olight are just two competitors that are out performing & severely undercutting S/F's 'market leading' products. S/F are currently following the trends, where as they used to set the pace.

Get stuck in, there are so many great lights now available. Don't let brand loyalty hold you back. ;)

Back on topic ;)

Any one else able to give a comparison between the fenix & the olight?

I'm currently swayed toward the Olight due to practical usage with a remote pressure switch & the tighter, more focused beam.

Greg.

I heard that traditional incandescence flashlight bulbs are actually better than LED bulbs because they have more "throw" and the light from them travels farther.

LEDs put out that neat blue/white light color but actually just appear brighter and the light does not throw as far.

Last year I'd agree, but things have changed.

& getting even better. A year from now I suspect that 500 lumens will be the norm for a 6p copy. Fingers crossed surefire will be offering more than their current stock. :rolleyes:

They have a verity of tones, focus types & even your favored 'corona'.

The problem is, finding the right one,,,,,,,,,,,,hence the post. :D

Greg.

Last year I'd agree, but things have changed.

& getting even better. A year from now I suspect that 500 lumens will be the norm for a 6p copy. Fingers crossed surefire will be offering more than their current stock. :rolleyes:

They have a verity of tones, focus types & even your favored 'corona'.

The problem is, finding the right one,,,,,,,,,,,,hence the post. :D

Greg.

I'm glad that ur happy with my rant on the lights heheheh...

Well for a 500lumens in a 6p style set ups, it will be probable few more years hehehe.. well seoul came up with SSC P7 with 700lumens rating and the clones has been making few lights based on this, but unfortunately u'll need 3cr123s at least to get that much output and dont forget.. with the reflector and cheap *albatross* lens, you probably lost as much as 35% of light just outside the head... so would probably be awhile, before the better company start using them. put it this way, if 1 of the Olight/fenix/inova/jetbeam make one, the other will definitely follow suit heheheh

I like fenix, I have the L2D, it is an awesome light for 60 bucks. It's got alot of features, like SOS and I can change the amount of brightness it has.

It is the newer model with 180 lumens, but it is really bright. I had a G&P scorpion which was supposedly 500 lumens, but the fenix was brighter than that.

I like fenix, I have the L2D, it is an awesome light for 60 bucks. It's got alot of features, like SOS and I can change the amount of brightness it has.

It is the newer model with 180 lumens, but it is really bright. I had a G&P scorpion which was supposedly 500 lumens, but the fenix was brighter than that.

I have a few fenix already (lod & p1d) & they are great. More like mag light quality than Sure fire, but bags of light for the buck.

If the TK10/11 had the strobe etc. I wouldn't think twice.

Interestingly, if shone through an I/R filter, they give very little light, so I'm assuming the led has no, or very little light in this frequency.

I have placed an order for the Olight & hope to receive it soon.

Thanks for the input. Including the humor.

Greg.

I have a few fenix already (lod & p1d) & they are great. More like mag light quality than Sure fire, but bags of light for the buck.

If the TK10/11 had the strobe etc. I wouldn't think twice.

Interestingly, if shone through an I/R filter, they give very little light, so I'm assuming the led has no, or very little light in this frequency.

I have placed an order for the Olight & hope to receive it soon.

Thanks for the input. Including the humor.

Greg.

Greg, LED output little to none IR spectrum light, thats why the filter doesnt give up any light... My M20 is also still on the way, probably because the initial interest in the product has bumped the production..

Btw, which model did u order? also do you order with the pressure switch? My order was lodged before the switches are available :(...

Btw, which model did u order? also do you order with the pressure switch? My order was lodged before the switches are available :(...

Warrior M20 prem. With smo & tex reflectors.

Remote switch is to follow.

The site I ordered them from is showing out of stock, but they assure me, mine is on the way. <_<

Greg.

So, sort of answering my own question really, as there wasn't much interest in this thread. :rolleyes:

Got my warrior on Saturday & it is so impressive, I figured I'd give it a mini review:

So, I ordered the 'Olight M20 Warior Premium' from Quality flashlights UK. Who turned out to be in Austria! But were increadibly helpful on my orriginal question (M20 v TK11)

They stated that they had some previous airsofters from Viena, who tried both & went for the Olight.

I can see why.

The 250lum beam is incredibly focussed (less than 1.5m radius @ 20m). It has the focussed beam & then, expected dimmer chorona, which is also very focused.

Comparing the beam to both a Stream light scorpion, & 120lum (p61) Surefire 6p is a bit of a joke. The other 2 torches are virtually invisible next to the olight.

It takes a pair of cr123's or the rechargeable, lith-ion 18650 battery, which it is claimed, will give 4 hours at 250 lums! I have not tested the longevity of this battery, but it is as bright as the 123's.

The torch is slightly longer than a Sure fire 6p & cost £50. There are 3 brightness levels & a strobe. On/off is controlled by a tail button, which has momentary, click on/off & lock out functions. The modes are controlled by rotating the front bezel.

This is the brightest 2x cr123 cell torch, I have ever seen, by a long shot. It is well made & it's tight focus lends itself perfectly to tactical weapon type usage. I look forward to receiving the remote pressure switch shortly, & weapon mounting this.

Greg.

Sounds awesome. What is the color temperature of the beam? Bluish, purplish, greenish, or completely neutral white? The only LED light I've personally seen that has managed an utterly pure white light is my fenix RB100.

Archived