Daily Echo

tommywing

Hello all,

Just thought I'd post that two lads got seen going into woods with BB guns, by polis. They were interviewed for a while. But In the end only given a caution because they let polis take all their guns (All AEG's AK47, Xm177E2 etc.) I have the article, but don't own a scanner. It's on the front page of the DAily Echo, which is a very right wing rag that is (unfortunately) the local here in Southampton.

Will try scan the article

Tom

thought this quote might get your attention:

"It looks like a real lethal weapon. But this sub-machine gun [An M4] is a replica is a replica gun which fires ball bearings. Incredibly there is no specific law against buying, posssessing or carrying this gun"

What a crock of s**t!

:blink:

I had an article is my paper about airsoft, but it promoted them :huh: .  It said it was great for people in or traing to be in military or law enforcement.  It also had a small review of a CA M15.

could you please scan this and post/send it to me? :)

Actually the term bb has no relation to ball bearings whatso ever, it stems from that great American firm Daisy who coined it to describe the 'ball bullets' that the low powered airguns they gave away free with their windmills fired. When the airguns proved more popular than the windmills they dropped that line of business and went down the airgun road wholeheartedly, ensuring that their name and the term 'bb' entered the lexicon of the US

The job of a ball bearing is not to be a 'joint', it is to sit inside a 'ball race' and provide a 'bearing' surface in such a way as to allow the support and maintain the correct alignment of a moving part, usually one undergoing angular displacement, whilst maintaining a low co-efficient of friction. In order to achieve this they must be very hard and well ground, this is possible because they are made of high grade steel, not the Swiss cheese used in airgun 'bb's.

Try squeezing a Crossman Copperhead between a pair of needlenose pliers and see how hard it is, examine it surface and see how well ground it is.

Ball bearings have as much in common with 'bb's of any material as they do with marshmallows.

you could argue the same point with airsoft- take a ball bearing from a bike and compare its strength to an airsoft .2g bb.

obviously, there is no comparison. Its not about what its made out of, its about what it IS- a bb can be a "ball bullet" or a "ball bearing"- just because Daisy dubbed the projectiles fired from their air weapons "ball bullets" does not mean the term "ball bearing" is redundant to anyone who doesn't want to term it ball bullet- after all, a bullet is usually, in common parlance, something attached to a cartridge containing some form of propellant explosive substance, normally gunpowder.

that hardly describes the bbs used in airsoft, except in those limited few guns that take cartridges.

Not saying you are WRONG, per se, just being pedantic :)

Well to address your first point Crazy_Harry which I presume is intended to in some way repudiate my illustration of why a bb is not a 'ballbearing, and if not, strikes me as an extraneous comment , I'm not sure how it does this. My reason for selecting an example of 'bb's manufactured from metal is to highlight the point that applying the nomclature 'ballbearing' to anything simply because it is metal and remotely spherical is plain and simple wrong, that it is wrong in the case of airsoft 'bb's is even more evident due to the material used in their construction. In using the example I did I was endeavouring to overcome the likely prevarication over the difference between airsoft 'bb's and 'real' 'bb's due to the latter being metal and there generally being a blindness to the fact that 'metal' does not equate to steel (witness the widespread use of 'steel' when describing die cast zinc pfc models or indeed zinc based alloy blank firers) It doesn't matter what a 'bb' is made from, and if you don't want to call it a 'ballbullet' don't, you can call it a 'bb' instead. Just don't call it a ball bearing, because it's not

Ball bearing is, like roller bearing or bearing plate an engineering term that has been misappropriated in the wider lexicon. Your assertion that people can take use any word they choose for a thing is true, I could take it upon myself to refer to 'night' as 'coin', and 'day' as 'flange' but that doesn't make them the right words, in much the same way that a lot of poorly informed people calling complete rounds 'bullets' doesn't make them right. The fact remains that the only thing that can be called a ballbearing legitimately is a ballbearing.

Now that's pedantry.

I think Xeno baits find on that response is a mixed and unbias view (slightly confusing but meh) but what grabbed my attention was the bottom

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT REPLICA GUNS?

Email the Southern Daily Echo: newsdesk@soton-echo.co.uk

I don't know if its a chance to put across an thought through view to show the more adult side to this apposed to some idiots who do this amazingly stupid stuff.

So far all I can think of is saying how the majority of the more adult airsofters are always as disappointed and angered by childish and irresponsible use of off replica and BB guns and that it is a shame to see this happen. Then maybe show the more positive side to airsoft and how the majority of responsible play safe using myself for example having a Plain case that stays under my bed when i'm not at a game and has a padlock on just to be sure.

Having what looks like a idiotic minority of careless people give what can be a safe and responsible sport a bad name is not good and i've only played for a little while hope I don't have to see to much of this :(

Archived