Since when did Classic Army have crappy internals?

crunkathon2k

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but some AEG's still provide a better base than others for fine tuning and general satisfaction.

For example my G&P armalite, it came with so many good stock parts and awesome externals compared to the CA (M120 motor, polyacetal piston, great gearbox shell etc. etc.), that the small tweaking I have made to it has doubled the gun's value in my eyes, especially compared to my current CA M15, which as said, looks like a scratched and beat up pot metal ######.

I've had 2 CA AEG's and both of them worked alright. I must say that the motors are sub-par and the buckings are horrid but other than that, they work fine. My piston in my G36 has probably been through ~80k rounds and it hasn't missed a beat.

Both of them were made around 2005-2006 so that may be the reason.

A Tech's time line: (From memory)

2002 - CA stops shipping the Black gearboxes. (Best V2 gearboxes produced.)

2003 - 2005 (Winter) Gearsets Marked C.A. on the the Bevel Gear only. (The best gearsets ever produced.)

2005 (Spring) - 2008 (Summer) - Geasets Marked C.A. on all three gears are very weak.

2005 - CA 249 - Pistons break in almost every one.

2006 (Fall) - I posted pictures of Short CA pistons when compared to Marui. I started adding washers between the piston and piston head.

2007 (Spring) - CA starts shipping pistons with Polycarb heads.

2007 - CA SCAR - Tappet plates break in almost every one.

2007 (Summer) - CA starts shipping pistons with Aluminum heads.

2008 (Winter) - CA to be sold at WalMart

Having a production date stamped on the gun/parts would help identifying each production batch, but would hurt sales.

(Side Note: I have a collector looking for a Year One, Red Marui gearbox, if you have one intact, PM me.)

///ed///

CA M15A4 Carbine SER. 069501

Service Life:

Jan. 2007- Jan. 2008 (contacts)/Aug. 2008 (Motor)

Noteworthy parts:

-Brass spring guide

-Longest stock spring I've seen in a CA

-SRC contacts used to replace burned CA trigger contacts

-Gearbox was radiused

Issues:

-Broken Cylinder head

-Lower half of sector gear lost one tooth (did not impair performance)

-Trigger contacts burned out

-Motor Burned Out

-Paint chips/wears down easily (I actually like this)

-Selector switch became loose

-Piston head o-ring undersized

-Shimming/grease OK

-Fiberglass easily scratched

-Screws came close to stripping

CA M15A4 Carbine SER. 090454

Service Life:

Dec. 2007-Present

Noteworthy Parts:

-Spring Guide changed to metal base w/plastic shaft

-Proper lubricant applied in all the right places

-Gearbox was radiused

Issues:

-O-ring is OK

-An audible noise comes from the spring every time it is cycled

(This is due to the spring being so short and not attached to the piston head.)

-Shimming OK

-Paint chips/wears down easily

-Fiberglass easily scratched

CA M15A4 Carbine SER. 089736

Service Life:

Dec. 2008-Late Jan. 2009

Note Worthy Parts:

-Gearbox was radiused

-Spring Guide changed to metal base w/plastic shaft

-Proper lubricant applied in all the right places

-069501's piston was installed to replace broken piston

-069501's bevel gear was installed to replace stripped gear

Issues:

-Lower half of bevel gear lost ALL it's teeth

-Piston stripped five teeth

-Piston head came off (likely cause?)

-Paint chips/wears down easily (I actually like this)

-Shimming OK

-Fiberglass BROKE on end of stock and sling attachment

(The stock has never touched anything other than a rifle case and a soft carpet)

CA M15A4 SER. 071420

Service Life:

Nov. 2006 - Sept. 2007 (cylinder head)/Dec. 2007 (contacts)/Dec. 2008 (motor)

Note Worthy Parts:

-Brass Spring Guide

-EXCELLENT o-ring that gives better compression than any I've ever used before or since

-Deepfire Nylon piston was installed after foolishly using stock piston and piston head with systema silent cylinder head

(Sector gear tore off first tooth)

-Deepfire air-nozzle installed as well (compression was almost perfect after this)

-BE Cylinder head installed when stock cylinder broke (compression was flawless after this)

-Area 1000 plastic piston head installed to prevent detachment of piston head from Deep Fire piston.

-SRC trigger contacts installed after stock one burned

-JG Motor installed after stock motor failed

-Gears have NEVER failed and show no signs of stripping although I did re-shim them.

-Gearbox was radiused did not fail even after taking a systema M120, 9.6v battery, and systema aluminum piston!

Issues:

-Broken Cylinder head (After piston head fell off of Deep Fire piston)

-Trigger contacts burned out

-Motor Burned Out

-Paint chips/wears down easily

-Shimming/grease OK

-Fiberglass easily scratched although did not break until stock was hit against a rock when I was ###### of with the replica. <_<

A chunk cracked and was repaired with gorilla glue

-Screws came close to stripping

Final Analysis?

Over the years, it seems the overall quality while not being excellent, was great right around the Early 700,000's. (Possibly even Late 600,000's to late 700,000's). More modern models around the early 900,000's suffer from bad QC (meaning lemons make it out of the factory quite frequently).

Having opened up many CA36's and some 'upgraded' models of CA, I can comment on the following.

Classic Army replicas with 7mm bearings will feature an 'upgraded' spring guide w/bearings, aluminum piston head w/bearings, brass cylinder head, and a purple airnozzle w/o-ring.

A few models come stock w/400fps springs which will be made clear in the description.

Notable exceptions are the CA 36 series where I found some models come with an o-ring airnozzle while others do not.

Also, ALL CA V3's except a few early models are NOT compatible with normal V3 cylinder heads without cutting some material off of the top of the cylinder head. (Normaly V3's have room to accomodate the extra piece on top of the cylinder head, however CA in their infinite wisdom decided to make this space smaller and thus incompatible with V3 cylinder heads).

Other than that, they all use similar parts that may vary in size/color but are made out of the same material.

+1 to the poster who said all AEGs suck regardless.

You'll have to do some work internally if you want your AEG to do a specific task.

What, like shooting BBs? what on earth does that mean?

I have a TM p90, 3 x JG G36s and a KWA G36 that have never needed so much as a moment's maintenance, let alone upgrading. All have had at least 40k rounds through them. How is this *possible*?!?!? :rolleyes:

Archived