Spotters

vowlesy

I was talking to my friend about snipers in airsoft and we were wondering how many actually have spotters with them, if so what equipment does your spotter carry? Presumably he'd be ghillied up in the same way you are and we presumed they'd have something with a decent range and full auto? Just intrested, do any of you have spotters? And if so what do they carry?

Thanks

I haven't had a chance to actually go sniping in a big game, but I would have a spotter, probably with an ACOG on an M16. Maybe some high power binoculars. But yeah, I think a spotter is a good idea, as long as he's as good at fieldcraft as you are.

I haven't had a chance to actually go sniping in a big game, but I would have a spotter, probably with an ACOG on an M16. Maybe some high power binoculars. But yeah, I think a spotter is a good idea, as long as he's as good at fieldcraft as you are.

usually on big games i would have a spotter,

he wont be ghillied up but aslong as he is good at hiding i dont see the need.

being the sniper is good to be ghillied to make sure for definate you dont get seen.

usually rifle would be a M4 with scope, binoc's or monocular.

I've had some people accompany me recently. Spotter or not, they were helpful. It was only ever 2 of us, to keep the noise down, and the most important thing I found, was the spotters ability to not shoot. Someone with an overactive trigger finger will get you both killed. The spotter was a very handy backup, meaning we were able to tactically retreat, rather than rout. Didn't act as a spotter in the classic army sense, but this is airsoft, not real war. Everything's different.

Im of the opposite opinion.

iIprefer to be by my self, as i can rely on my self to do whats needed,be that lay there for ages waiting,conceal myself,not take the random un needed shots,to make as little noise as possible.

Having some one with you means you need to work twice as hard,as everything needs twice the work.

The biggest problem ive found is finding someone with enough patiance and that is quiet enough,to may people are fixated on getting kills.

Also haveing an aeg user with you means they have to ONLY fire when realy needed,this may mean them not firing a shot all day,most people find this hard.

Ive only onceor twice worked in a proper two man team.

The first time i ended up working it like the british and us army do,the spotter is in charge.

i carried an aeg and was in charge(where we went ,who we shot,when we shot,everything),my team mate took the shots thats all. this did work as they had to listen and do as i did.(it did help that the guy had been asking e take take hi out sniping as he wanted to try learn more)

The second time was with one of the only other good/proper snipers i know.

we just worked in a two man team,but i was running at 500fps as always and he was running at 350fps as always,i engaged targets at range and if anyone came close he engaged them,with his rifle being 350 and a g-spec it was near silent,as we both had ghillies as well and stayed 10-15m apart if either of us got spotted the generaly didnt know the other was there.

What AEG was he using? And also i understand what you mean and obviousily the only time i personally think spotters are needed in airsoft is in big games, i guess its personal preference really, some might like the reasurance and extra firepower that comes with a spotter whereas some might just see it as too much of a hassle. Although i'm still intrested in what would be considered the best weapon for a spotter, an M14 seems logical like somebody said above, although i'd personally want the spotter to be more able than the sniper, expecially if he wasnt ghillied up and a M14 being very long maybe the M14 socom would be a better choice?

In my opinion an M14 would work fine for a spotter, you can use precise semi-auto, and when you need full auto you can use it. Perhaps with around a 3X-9X scope to to be able to zoom in, because binoculars don't work with goggles....

What AEG was he using? And also i understand what you mean and obviousily the only time i personally think spotters are needed in airsoft is in big games, i guess its personal preference really, some might like the reasurance and extra firepower that comes with a spotter whereas some might just see it as too much of a hassle. Although i'm still intrested in what would be considered the best weapon for a spotter, an M14 seems logical like somebody said above, although i'd personally want the spotter to be more able than the sniper, expecially if he wasnt ghillied up and a M14 being very long maybe the M14 socom would be a better choice?

All AEGs are the same, the point of the spotter is not what he is using it's the unique abilities that he bring to a fire team, having an extra set of eyes can be a big advantage.

As a spotter I use a OD SCAR-L with a 4x32 scope. My loadout consists of a battle belt with a MOLLE webbing vest I use for attaching foliage to and of course a radio. I carry 4 mids on the battle belt, and either Woodland (M81) or straight OD as my main camo.

Well, as I find myself making a re entry into the game, and into sniping, I believe I will often use a spotter, as one of my mates whom I'm bringing on with me has, in our small backyard games, shown decent fieldcraft and even better patience, especially for someone who's really never played before. I look forward to seeing how we fare ensemble once we're ready to head to a big game. (As a side note, the other mate I'm bringing on is great fun and a good player, but has a somewhat heavier finger, so I'll be fixin' up his new A&K '249's hop and sendin him off to give us some distraction :) )

My spotter uses a fair bit of my old kit i've moved on from, but rifle wise he uses a A&k Sr-25 that im pretty impressed with, last game i set him up on a grassy ridge and covered him in grasses, then moved 30m off from him and setup a crossfire, worked very well, a sniper team in airsoft can definately delay an enemy teams advance if not halt it.

Archived