Hard Drives vs. .50 Cal

Warning

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I was surprised the bullet was stopped so easily.

I mean, these things are supposed to shoot through engine blocks etc.

When you think about what makes up a HDD (for this purpose) it's a tin top-cover, the platters and then an aluminium chassis.

There's not actually much there for a bullet to punch through.

I'd be interested to find out more (somehow) about what happens as the bullet penetrates stuff like this.

I mean, on the simplest level, if a bullet can penetrate 1" of steel, if you were to set up 20 sheets of steel 0.05" thick, would the same bullet get through more, the same number, or less?

I suspect that the problem, particularly in a case like with these HDDs, is that the bullet begins to collect debris on the tip which makes it less efficient at punching through subsequent layers.

What may be a factor is the laminate effect - a projectile will have an easier time penetrating a solid block of steel then the same block of steel cut up into sheets and stacked. I believe it's something to do with the way the space between the sheets allows energy to be disappated (by debris flying around) and the projectile having to punch into a new solid object over and over again. This has been known about - and utilised - by manufacturers of armour plating for many years.

Now, inside a hard drive are several thin platters set close together, inside a shell - essentially two more sheets of metal. Then add another 16 duplicates of the same arrangement and you've got a very long "tube" of composited, laminate armour, thicker than anything carried by modern vehicles. How thick is a hard drive - an inch? So the armour-piercing .50 bullet penetrated almost 17 inches of laminated metal. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

In fact, that's how the armor on the Leopard 2A5 and -A6 tank is designed. Cheaper than Chobham-type armor and, from what Krauss-Maffei says, it's supposed to be "about" as effective.

Some things to add to the laminate effect: There is also the fact that the bullet is deformed when it hits the first barrier and will, because of the balance of most spitzer-type bullets, begin to tumble. Both of these cause the bullet to lose more energy than it otherwise would, penetrating a solid barrier (while the bullet would continue to deform in a solid barrier, it will not tumble, unlike in a liquid barrier or when passing from a solid barrier into open air).

In any case, you don't really need to punch a hole through an engine block as simply crack it. It is because of this that many PMCs will utilize shotguns loaded with slugs to stop vehicles in much the same way as military and law enforcement use their .50s (and bigger). Of course, the .50 gives you a longer, accurate range (a plus for LEO) and more penetration against light-armored vehicles (a plus for military).

In any case, you don't really need to punch a hole through an engine block as simply crack it. 0

The exact same thought just occured to me.

I guess, if a bullet hits an engine block, all it has to do is fracture it and then it can continue through the crack it's opened.

It's the initial shock that does the damage. Not the progressive effect.

Even so, I'd be interested to see (by means of high speed camera or whatever) exactly howa bullet slows down as it punches through multiple layers of stuff.

Related directly to the topic, if the bullet hit the HDDs dead-centre I suppose the spindle is quite a hard lump of material and, when hit, it'd just push back and hit the next spindle which would, eventually, deflect the bullet and that'd help bleed off a lot of energy.

All speculative of course but I just wanted to say that, when you think about it, a HDD isn't really that solid and I'm surprised they stopped a .50

I know there's a slow-mo video out there somewhere showing a .223 tumbling through the air en route from one sheet of gypsum board to another.... (And I know they had some slow-mo clips on a show on Discovery on the M16 showing the bullet from an AR tumbling through ballistics gelatin.)

Of course, needing to find it, now, I can't seem to.

Sorry to ruin the discussion a bit, but when shooting an engine block you would use armour-piercing incediary rounds not regular FMJ Ball ammo. Apparantly tese make a real mess if you shoot them at people. . . More so than the usual .50 cal mess :blink:

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mg/50_ammo.html - A list of military .50 cal rounds and their uses. Scroll about helf way down for the grey-tip armour-piercing incediaries.

Not really on topic but this website is pretty good reading for info about using guns to destroy things.

Sorry to ruin the discussion a bit, but when shooting an engine block you would use armour-piercing incediary rounds not regular FMJ Ball ammo. Apparantly tese make a real mess if you shoot them at people. . . More so than the usual .50 cal mess :blink:

And so we break the forum rules regarding discussion of terminal ballistics.

No more, thanks folks. :)

Archived