US Real Steel Gun Ranges

HaVoC

you shot 7.62 lance? im waiting for the L81 to come back into service. in the meantime GPMG SF role is the most fun ive ever had (but that never happened ;) )

The L81A2 is one of the nicest rifles i have ever shot. At 600metres i was getting 47.3 out of 50.

Thats some serious grouping btw. I scared myself when the target popped up after each shot.

I have been to america and it is perfectly legal to shoot fully automatic weapons. I do however think it has to be in an outdoor range and if you do not own the weapon the range warden must be really close to you or something like that.

The SL-9 is also a very nice weapon ^_^

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live a short trip away from the NRA range, fired a M16,not much kick at all, and a m14, oh yeah! They have a m60 but I was short on cash after, that's right, the Tompson! Mwahahaha.

The age limit was twelve, and just remember to clean up after yourself. Next time I go I'm going to tackle the Remington 50.cal.

The L81A2 is one of the nicest rifles i have ever shot. At 600metres i was getting 47.3 out of 50.

Thats some serious grouping btw. I scared myself when the target popped up after each shot.

I have been to america and it is perfectly legal to shoot fully automatic weapons. I do however think it has to be in an outdoor range and if you do not own the weapon the range warden must be really close to you or something like that.

The SL-9 is also a very nice weapon ^_^

I am/was in the RAF cadets, but the army section nicks all the guns. On the rare occasions we do get the L98s, we get to *clean* them. Wow.

Let me clear this up before there's anymore misunderstandings and confusion.

The Assault Weapons Band was ended earlier this year. Under the Assault Weapons Ban these (among other things) were banned:

1. Magazines that could hold more than 10 rounds

2. Certain firearms (Dragunovs, things like that)

3. Extendable/Side folding stocks

The Assault Weapons Ban had NOTHING to do with fully-automatic weapons. They were illlegal before and are illegal now.

I am/was in the RAF cadets, but the army section nicks all the guns. On the rare occasions we do get the L98s, we get to *clean* them. Wow.

One of my friends is in the Young Marines. He stripped three barrels for a M240B, and he didn't even hit the target! ^^

But you can legally fire them at ranges... :blink:

Generally speaking, only at ranges located in "red states" (states where you can have a class III licence). The 34 red states in the USA include AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY

You should make sure you bring some extra clothes because all that powder youre shooting makes you really stink by the end of the day!

Ohh and always call a bullet a "cartridge" - that will give you plus points with gun enthusiasts.

Note on Full-Auto laws.

Full-Auto is not prohibited under Federal Law, but some states prohibit them under State Law. Basically, this means that some states (including New Hampshire, Nevada, etc...) have plenty of full-auto guns for you to play with, but ranges in California for example are likely to be able to offer semi-auto only. SilentScope laid it out pretty well.

If it's your first time shooting though, don't obsess with firing a full-auto gun. Sure, they are fun, but they take skill to shoot safely. Get proficient with semi-autos before trying a machine gun, as most range owners will kick you out for putting bullet-holes in the range ceiling, due to lack of experience coping with full-auto recoil - they may also bill you for repairs.

So do you need a Class III licence to shoot a full-auto gun at a range, then, even if you're just renting it?

For clarity.. You do not have to have a class 3 or NFA license to shoot full-auto at a range that has them.. The range itself owns the guns, and has the license for it. They are just letting you shoot it.

By all means, do not pass up the chance to rock and roll! Range I used to go to had an MP5, an UZI, and a Colt 9mm (think it was a M635 or whatever).. :D

For the record, it is possible to obtain a NFA license easier than it is a Class 3 (plus an FFL) -- mountains of red tape, but if you want it bad enough and you are an upstanding US Citizen, you can own it:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/machineguns.html

-WMH

You were on the wrong sqn then Havoc. My little band on minions get to play with as much hardware as we can get foor them. Which when you consider the number of full time RAF and Army staff on the sqn there isn't really a lot we can't get at least once in a while.

Sort Of On Topic:

Me and a fews lads are thinking about going out to the states for a few weeks to go to one of those places that do all the CQB training etc and give you the chance to fire just about everything under the sun.

Anyone know if any of these sort of places have a website, or know rough prices etc. I've seen them on a few TV programs but havent managed to track anything down yet.

I just want to add a few more weapons to my pathetic list of L85A1&A2, L86A1&A2, FN Mag, Browning HP and M16A2.

Sort Of On Topic:

Me and a fews lads are thinking about going out to the states for a few weeks to go to one of those places that do all the CQB training etc and give you the chance to fire just about everything under the sun.

Anyone know if any of these sort of places have a website, or know rough prices etc.  I've seen them on a few TV programs but havent managed to track anything down yet.

You mean like Blackwater USA?

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/new/2005btc.html

hey, r22- you never gave me that advice, you just said "there you go my friend, have a play with this mp5!"

proficient on semi-autos my bum... :)

Trust me dude, I would have advised you against using the MP5 if you hadn't taken to the Glock 19 so well. Besides, you were sensible enough to increment your full-auto use - you didn't just empty the mag on your first go. :D

Each case has to be examined on its merits, so to speak ;)

I wish i had full-auto ranges out here... Anyways, my first rifle was a .22 too, then i went to hunter's ed. and during the test(no time before) I had to shoot a .308. I was standing up, and shot it. The recoil wasnt that bad, but it leapt up in the air. As soon as I remember what was going on, i thought "D*mn that was fun!!!". Then I went up to a 7mm a little while later, and while i thought the .308 was fun, I in no way thought the 7mm was "fun".

Glad I live in ohio...

My dad (legally) has 3 class III weapons. 2 Full auto's and 1 shotgun that needs it. ('Sawed Off' The barrel is as long as the tube. Holds 9 3 inch magnums. And just a pistol grip. No full stock.)

You pay for it too though. 600$ a year per gun for the liceanses to maintain. But, we also get to shoot them when ever we want :)

As for the whole range thing, some one pointed out: The range owns the gun. Not you. So you don't need the liceanses. You just need to be of age, or with an adult.

As much as I love guns, I can't see the use in owning full auto firearms. As far as self defense you don't need more than a pistol or a knife, and for hunting a shotgun or a rifle. Though I would love to be able to own a MP7, $600 a year is too much to pay for something I wouldn't get any real use out of other than at firing range.

For me, it's not down to having a NEED for full-auto, it's just a love of using them for sport-shooting - it's FUN. I would certainly say it was overkill for self-defence though.

It's like the Dodge Viper. No-one NEEDS a car that fast or expensive, but some people just LOVE having that sort of power at their disposal. They're more dangerous and more expensive to own and run, but people still buy them because of the experience of using them. ;)

For me, it's not down to having a NEED for full-auto, it's just a love of using them for sport-shooting - it's FUN.  I would certainly say it was overkill for self-defence though.

It's like the Dodge Viper.  No-one NEEDS a car that fast or expensive, but some people just LOVE having that sort of power at their disposal.  They're more dangerous and more expensive to own and run, but people still buy them because of the experience of using them. ;)

Like I said I would love to own one. My uncle has a M16A2, the old one that has full auto, when I'm in TN I bring as much 5.56 as I can. He even has an orginal M1 Garand from WWII, not auto but a rare classic.

The cons of full auto ownership out weigh the pros for me, not to mention I dump too much money into airsoft as it is. :D

Archived