Scratch-build of a STEN Mk. 5

kiltboy

FInally able to get back to the computer, and into the shop. The sten is mostly finished, but unfortunately doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

Need to tweak the fit of the nozzle and the barrel, as I am leaking air like mad- but I think there is a fix, and I'll attempt it in a couple of days.

I'll post pics in a few minutes (I hope).

Robert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometime (in my copious spare time...) I will happily post the results of the next version, with a CA mechbox. I will take some time to get it done, but have a retailer here in Reno that wants one, so I'll get the box for zip~

The mags hold 33 rounds, and as soon as I find a supply of the proper springs, I'll make the 48-50 round mags. All inside a real steel mag shell.

Currently, it simply drops the bbs out the muzzle, as the seals are not too good. Please think good thoughts, as I really want it to work as a low-end (function-wise) great-looking piece.

BTW- once I figure out a couple of things, I could make a "kit" for sale...

Need to see what it would cost, of course.

Robert

edit- spelling!

Oh- one more thing.

If I cannot get it (the sten) to work in the next few days, I'll be off of this project as I will need to finish (start, really) the Enfield project. At least I know it will work, as the pro-9 is a solid low-end rifle. This way I'll have a rifle and a pistol (gas NBB .45).

Keep in mind-it isn't a really good sniper, but generally does a decent job as a rifle. I have upped the power, and now it'll at least look good...

Robert

A thought for you.

The new TM G18c.. with either the 30rd or the 100rd long mag.

Considered dropping one of them into the real shell instead.....

Looked into that very thing, but they are just a bit too fat (about 1/8 of an inch too thick). I might try to grind it down a bit- but that's for the future.

Right now I gotta git it to shoot, not dribble!

Thanks for the ideas; IT SHALL BE MADE TO WORK!! SO HAVE I DECREED!!

just not today...

Robert

This is getting towards the end of this thread, and I have figured out the problems involved in the feed and nozzle. The unfortunate part is that it will still only lob the bbs out at low velocity. I will have to shelve this until I am done with the Enfield project.

The fixes for the velocity are fairly simple, but will take a lot of fitting and possibly some machining. The biggest problem was the fit of the nozzle to the barrel rubber, and the other was (rather embarrassing, really :unsure: ) that the barrel rubber was in backwards...

I think that it will function nearly like the original p-90 (well version) once I can get a better nozzle and tighten up the spring in the mechbox a tiny bit- shimming about 2-3 mm.

I'll see if it is possible to get some better pics up soon as well. It really looks good, now if only it would work half as good as it looks!

Thanks for all the help and support- I'll keep this going until its done, for better or worse~

Robert

Cracking work old chap,

Saw what you were doing with the Lee-Enfield - you begun the right way, I blundered

right in, i.e. by not routing the lock and barrel first before shaping the woodwork. Nevermind, it will bodge up eventually.

Re the Sten - someone mentioned the Famas gear box, like you I wanted to start the build on the cheap so bought a cheap Academy SA80 which basically contains an exact(ish) rip-off TM Famas gear box. I friend of mine has upgraded his SA80 with Famas internal box parts and hop, so the Sten could be brought up to spec when you are happy with the finish.

If you want I can give you dimensions of the Academy/Famas box.

My only worry with the build is fabricating a longer nozzle between the box and mag feed, this can be partly alleviated by using a M16 9mm magazine coverter (about 30 quid) this moves the feed closer to the box and may allow the use of a standard nozzle (may).

In addition this takes standard and hi-cap Uzi mags, with a neat mag release catch.

A realistic mag-well could be fabricated around it.

I have all the bits ready - but want to finish the SMLE first to have a team sniper weapon. My projects aren't progressing as fast as I would wish (getting married in August), but again seeing the stirling work you have put in gives me a boost.

Keep up the good work, cheerio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally got the bloody thing working!

And it is shooting at just under 300fps (280 to 293 witha chrono) with .2s. I got better performence out of the Well P-90 gearbox by building a "plate" that keeps it all from moving outward or to the rear. Those seem to be the places where the plastic gearbox fails. My first try just added a bit of spring tention, and it blew out the pins as the body spread out~ oops.

It also has a slightly tighter spring in it, (from the hardware store) and finally, a tight barrel- not sure the make, but it is still brass. I made up a battery pack- it is 8.4v, about 1600 mAh, using deans connectors. Only have 1 mag right now, but will make up a few more, soon.

Take care, everyone! And thanks again!

Robert

(the ressurected)

Just to say, a Famas gearbox is approx 1/4" too deep to fit an accurate replica of a Sten.

How do I know?  I built one. But I had to accept the inaccuracy as it was the only near suitable gearbox available at the time. I also used a locap Marushin (Maruzen?) Uzi mag.

Yeah- the trigger group housing on this one is about an inch wide, so no matter what, there is some kind of issue with the box.

Honestly, I wasn't that worried, as I still have something most folks don't! The next one I'm going to try for is a Mk. 5 made with a type 6 box- Thompson configuration, probably- but if at all possible, the p-90 config. I just want it to be a bit closer, and actually be able to keep running! The box from the Well P-90 will fail, with the strains I am putting it under- it's only a matter of time!

I used a real mag, and put a mid-cap uzi mag in it. Had to re-enforce the top, as I needed to grind a bunch away so it would fit in the original sten mag. Looks spot-on, though!

Do you have any pics of your sten? I'd love to see how it turned out!

And thanks for the kudos~

Robert

edit- spelling and grammar~

I'll dig it out and put up pics. The trigger ended up as a remote trigger sliding between two U shaped pieces of brass. A short length of wire cable bent around to the origional trigger unit.

I settled for the T stock, with the battery in the tube, unfortunately the plug and socket showed, - but yoiu can't have everything.:)

Archived