Quad bikes are dangerous!

Stealthbomber

Just saw THIS on the news.

It seems the kids parents are now campaigning for new safety measures regarding quad bikes.

Now, I hate to 2nd-guess the decisions made during a tragic event but I gotta say, I suspect that the cliff was probably a more dangerous factor in the accident.

Even worse, I can't help thinking that the most dangerous thing is the brain of a kid who decides that it's smart to ride a quad-bike near the edge of a cliff or, alternatively, rides a quad-bike without scoping out the area for danger beforehand.

Just saw THIS on the news.

It seems the kids parents are now campaigning for new safety measures regarding quad bikes.

Now, I hate to 2nd-guess the decisions made during a tragic event but I gotta say, I suspect that the cliff was probably a more dangerous factor in the accident.

Even worse, I can't help thinking that the most dangerous thing is the brain of a kid who decides that it's smart to ride a quad-bike near the edge of a cliff or, alternatively, rides a quad-bike without scoping out the area for danger beforehand.

Safety measures other than the "Oof frackleberries I fell off stop the motor!" cord? What are they expecting, some sort of built in GPS device that cuts the engine off within 20m of a sudden drop?

Tragic yes, but stupidity kills.

We just love to blame something else than blame the actual person . One of the major reason's why the VCRA came in to effect, people love blaming things. Instead of admitting the truth, the tool is to blame.

I do feel sorry for the friends and family, yes it is not nice when some dies (Esspecially in these circustances), also maybe the parent(s) where trying to say that quads are dangerous full stop as maybe they didn't want him to have one. But that does come back to laying blame, when you've lost a family memeber you don't exactly want to slag them off in a newspaper/internet article.

Ok lets assume for a minute that quads ARE dangerous....

Whats the sensible thing to do then? Take extra precautions when riding one! Motorsports is a dangerous sport, which is why the FIA goes to the lengths it does on safety measures. Human beings love dangerous things. Too bad dangerous things aren't for the dumb.

In all fairness, we don't know the circumstances of the accident. Perhaps the throttle jammed open? I've had the throttle jerked open on my motocross bike before when I've hit a bump I wasn't expecting, and it can throw you back and stop you reaching the front brake. It's scary when that happens. If it got stuck fully open, and he wasn't that experienced, he may well not have been able to stop/bail quickly enough.

There are a thousand possible causes for the accident, don't just assume he jumped off a cliff on it because he thought it would be fun.

In all fairness, we don't know the circumstances of the accident. Perhaps the throttle jammed open? I've had the throttle jerked open on my motocross bike before when I've hit a bump I wasn't expecting, and it can throw you back and stop you reaching the front brake. It's scary when that happens. If it got stuck fully open, and he wasn't that experienced, he may well not have been able to stop/bail quickly enough.

There are a thousand possible causes for the accident, don't just assume he jumped off a cliff on it because he thought it would be fun.

I think the assumption here is that he knowingly rode near a cliff, which is foolish. If your throttle jams wide open while you're far from a cliff, you're not likely to have no time to jump off before it goes over. Nobody here made the assumption that he willingly jumped off the cliff. If you go back to the top, you'll see that the "stupidity" most people here are talking about, is to knowingly ride a quad near a cliff, or in not making sure that there are no environmental hazards around.

Archived