Who is up for a Prohibition game?

FireKnife

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My thoughts:

Serious ammo limit: Yes (200 rounds I reckon, no hi-caps)

Injuries: No (Too hard to manage and police)

3 minute games: No (too short, 10-15 mins would be better)

Re-gen: No (games will be sped up, if player numbers are limited, allow 1 regen per player)

We will run a variaty of games. The storyboard games will involve ammo limits varing from 50 rounds pistols only up to 150-200 rounds with full auto thompsons and 10 shot shotguns. The story board games will involve injuries and that means the games will be short and sweet. i am not imposing 30 second games, its just that the nature of the games they will be short, that is the intention.

We will also run hose fest games for those who cant stand realism. Like you :P.

My thoughts:

Gun rules should be semi-flexible I think, allowing anything that is not modern (i.e. nothing from 1950-60) with the exception of m500/m870 style shotguns.

Obviously all torches/lasers/reddots would be banned and scopes on rifles would have to be period.

Good point on torches/lasers and red dot sights. i will add that to the banned list :P. i doubt anyone will want a scope in CQB, so i may just ban them as well.

Gun restrictions ARE semi-flexible, but we want to go for guns from the late 1800s and erly 1900s and not go to far into the mid 1900s.

The M870 and M500 do look a lot like the pump action shotguns from the 1890s, and m24/m700 bolt action rifles are also look-alike to the period rifles. M1A1 thompsons are also permitted, even though they are not period accurate.

The one thing i am holding fast on is gun rules.

There are loads of 1911A1 options out there or even a Luger or C96 Mauser or fine, Thompsons too. Some of the old WW2 bolt actions and SAA Colt's are allowed.

'FireKnife'

I agree in principle, but you will find that rules that strict will stop this from happening. Lots of people who would attend a game like this dont have anything on your list and wont buy a gun just for one game. I have more than 30 guns and NONE of them are on your list (I dont have any 1911's yet). Feel free to be strict, but it'll never happen unless you are flexible.

p.s. why do you say i dont like realism?

But all i can invisage is a group of players that are using 1911A1's and Thompsons anyway, with the odd shotgun and rifle.

I don't think scopes should be banned if they are merely black crosshairs but they would most likely not feature but i have seen snipers in indoor games before so it does happen.

But like milsim and period games you should carry a gun from that era, what if players to a WW2 game turned up with a M4 or a AUG, they would be told no, it is not like there is no guns for this era at all, i will be playing with just a 1911A1 or two, and a WE or clone one can be picked up for next to nothing. Though we have allowed Lugers and such to add a bit more variety. But still this is a period game and as such is stricter rules than normal events.

'FireKnife'

But all i can invisage is a group of players that are using 1911A1's and Thompsons anyway, with the odd shotgun and rifle.

I don't think scopes should be banned if they are merely black crosshairs but they would most likely not feature but i have seen snipers in indoor games before so it does happen.

But like milsim and period games you should carry a gun from that era, what if players to a WW2 game turned up with a M4 or a AUG, they would be told no, it is not like there is no guns for this era at all, i will be playing with just a 1911A1 or two, and a WE or clone one can be picked up for next to nothing. Though we have allowed Lugers and such to add a bit more variety. But still this is a period game and as such is stricter rules than normal events.

'FireKnife'

But I'd actually have to buy a 1911 plus 4 mags so I'd be looking at the far side of £100, hardly 'next to nothing'. Looks like I'm out until my finances improve :(

I wouldnt ban scopes, i just dont think anyone will want one in CQB.

I DO want a variaty of games, having a story board series of games as i have described will be fun for an hour, but after 4 hours people will get bored. My current thinking is to have a hose fest game to begin to wake people up, then a story board game(30-60 minutes) then two 20 minute regen no ammo limit games, and anoterh story board game then something entirely different.

I understand your worries TwinTurboCH, but to an extend i both aggree and dissagree. I would want a good turnout but i would also want as good a period correct set of loadouts as possible.

classic 1911s are fairly popular, add a suit or just plain trousers and a shirt and you are sorted. I think there would be a lot of airsofters who could manage it. Some would buy guns/ kit just for this game (i am :blush:) so i dont see it as a problem.

We are beeing strict, but we arent being nearly as strict as we could be (we could ban M1a1 thompsons, m870s, m500s clothes that arent period accurate, and dont get me started on ammo limits, i could get really silly.)

Do you not have any of the following?

This is a basic list by the way.

List of 1930’s Prohibition Era Firearms:

All based on firearms that have an airsoft replica.

Pistols:

M1911/M1911A1

Luger P08

C96

Colt .25 Pocket

S&W M&P / Model 10

Rifle / Shotguns:

Springfield M1903

Mauser M98 / K98

Winchester 1982

Mad Max Sawn Off

Mossberg M500 (only if only option)

Submachine Guns:

M1928 Thompson

M1A1 Thompson

Automatic Rifles:

BAR

Unsure:

Walther PP / PPK (as they were made in early 1930’s but would be tough to get into the US).

Beretta M1934 (could be an earlier model like the ’31 but again same problem as the PPK).

Ruger Mk.1 (as an alternative to the Colt Woodsman but a bit powerful for pistol use).

???

True as ED-SKaR has pointed out there are much worse length we could go to like only allowing M1928's and 1911A1 models that are blued instead of parkerized and only period correct clothing to the letter.

'FireKnife'

Pistols:

M1911/M1911A1

Luger P08

C96

Colt .25 Pocket

S&W M&P / Model 10

Rifle / Shotguns:

Springfield M1903

Mauser M98 / K98

Winchester 1982

Mad Max Sawn Off

Submachine Guns:

M1928 Thompson

M1A1 Thompson

Automatic Rifles:

BAR

Unsure:

Walther PP / PPK (as they were made in early 1930’s but would be tough to get into the US).

Beretta M1934 (could be an earlier model like the ’31 but again same problem as the PPK).

Ruger Mk.1 (as an alternative to the Colt Woodsman but a bit powerful for pistol use).

???

'FireKnife'

Correct, i own none of those. I used to but had to sell a lot of stuff when i lost my job. The only thing that even comes close is my Tanaka M870, but it's a folding stock version so not suitable. :(

Ah fair enough, though a Clone 1911A1 and a few mags can't cost that much?

Also the clothing is not expensive, cheap suit jacket and trousers from a charity shop or ASDA and thats about it.

Possibly my cheapest loadout i must say, but what do you have that you would use were we to expand the weapons limit?

'FireKnife'

Pistols:

M1911/M1911A1

Luger P08

C96

Colt .25 Pocket

S&W M&P / Model 10

Rifle / Shotguns:

Springfield M1903

Mauser M98 / K98

Winchester 1982

Mad Max Sawn Off

Submachine Guns:

M1928 Thompson

M1A1 Thompson

Automatic Rifles:

BAR

Unsure:

The colt .25 is called the m1908 and is on my list as such.

I would also alow m870s as they look more like the 1906 and 1897 than the m500( though they are all similar) black metal is fine by me, wood grips and stocks prefered but do we permit black furnature?*

The PP, PPK m34 and ruger would all be fine by me. The are all period accurate and forrein guns where used, if more rare than the US guns.

A mention for the KJW Ruger mk1, and the ACM M1892 (and other guns, mainly bolties) the FPS limit IS strict, if a single BB gets more than 328.0 then it wont be used. this means that the more powerfull guns, especially bolties, wont make an apperance.

(*I have a plain black M870 that i would like to use, but i would not pay the large amount of money to get wood stock and grip for it so if we decide no black furnature then it would stay at home.)

Correct, i own none of those. I used to but had to sell a lot of stuff when i lost my job. The only thing that even comes close is my Tanaka M870, but it's a folding stock version so not suitable. :(

IIRC you can remove the stock, correct?

If we decide to allow black furnature then i wouldn't be against you bringing that gun.( i just checked google for pictures of it, and its fine by me, with the stock removed)

Also to add to the list is the Ithica M37. its pretty much the same as the Mossberg m500 and Remmington m870

Colt 1908 can also be the Browning Baby / 1906 in .25.

But anyway for black furniture i would say again only if the rest of the gun is period correct AND it is unavoidable (low cash is an acceptable reason here only).

'FireKnife'

Ah fair enough, though a Clone 1911A1 and a few mags can't cost that much?

Also the clothing is not expensive, cheap suit jacket and trousers from a charity shop or ASDA and thats about it.

Possibly my cheapest loadout i must say, but what do you have that you would use were we to expand the weapons limit?

'FireKnife'

WE 1911 is over $100 with 1 spare mag, so add 2 more mags and it will be $150 before shipping and tax :(

I agree it's cheap, but I cant justify it at the moment.

I'd allow:

Uzi - 1948

L1A1 - 1947

MP40 - 1938

Just some ideas :)

UZI, L1A1 and MP40 are a big no.

And as for your M870 it is a yes, if it is your only option.

I am not trying to be strict but as this is a theme event or day, it should be made up of theme items and equipment to the best of those playing.

Shotguns like the M870 and M500 are allowed as in the 30's they had look a likes, the other options you posted are a no as they have nothing they resemble of that time period.

'FireKnife'

I don't think that any synthetic stocked guns should be allowed personally. A wooden stocked black M500 is fine by me. But any silver shotguns or black grips is a no no.

EDIT: What about M1 Garands and lookalikes (M14)? Yes it is a self loading full size rifle but they weren't unheard of.

Merits:

-wood stock

-very old overall appearance (virtually looks like a bolt action anyways)

-developed in 28-32 and adopted in 1936 by US Army, so very close to our period.

-perhaps if we allowed them then it would give us some lee way and let us be more strict elsewhere

Downsides:

-has fully auto (should probably ban that)

-a bit late for our period

Actually nickel plating wasn't unheard of back then so a nickel plated shotgun would be acceptable.

As for the M14 i am going to have to look into that, it would be a useful alternative to the BAR but to be honest it is a little too modern to my liking.

'FireKnife'

for the metalwork both black and shiney/nickel plateing is deffinatly acceptable. for the woodwork it really should be plain wood, not black unfortunatly.

As for an M14, if you had a short magazine that did not show(a-la m1 garand) then i would be happy with that. I would put it as a semi auto rifle, with 25 round magazines.

Full auto is not a problem as both the Thompson and BAR will use full auto(not that i expect many BARs)

I wouldn't like an M14 with a normal m14 mag...

Ah-a your back.

As a BAR alternative yes but as i want to try and get a varied turn out i think we should stop focusing on what AEG's to add to the list but rather pistols, rifles and shotguns.

I wouldn't limit the number of AEG's in a game but would prefer more variety for this.

'FireKnife'

I would think that the most common gun will be the 1911, followed by the thompson. even if you add m870s m500s and m37s together i doubt that there would be as many as the thompson.

We will have to split the AEGs and then spilt the shotgunners/handgunners when we do the teams.

Its why i wanted such a low ammo limit, to curb the thompsons. they still get the 50 round mags but they shouldn't be reloading ten times.

For real world referance Mr Dillinger prefered to use a thompson with stick mags (either 20 or 30 rounds) so that he could carry spares and reload occasionally. plus it all fits under a coat quite nicley:P.

Just hope i get a chance to fire of my dual 1911A1's, that is all the fun for me.

But yes it would need to be even teams, treating the AEG armed players in the same way you would use a support gunner in a regular game. I just hope we have a lot of diversity.

Also bit of an odd idea but to seperate Lawman and Gansters what about one of those little metal or plastic stars that say something on it? Bit corny but it is more infitting than an armband or similar.

'FireKnife'

Also bit of an odd idea but to seperate Lawman and Gansters what about one of those little metal or plastic stars that say something on it? Bit corny but it is more infitting than an armband or similar.

Oh dear :P. Not all that visible is it?

Especially if we run some very complicated games we will need some very visible team markers... like... different colour hats! red and blue hats!... no... thought not :P.

I think there will be more AEGs turning up than you do. plus I am well aware of the difference in "firepower" between GBBs and AEGs. i am hoping that full auto will drain the mags fast enough to ensure that the thompsons don't dominate totally over the other players.

Actually nickel plating wasn't unheard of back then so a nickel plated shotgun would be acceptable.

Yes, yes I knew i was going to get the Nickel plating lecture. BUT it was very uncommon even on pistols which there would have been a few of. Shotguns wise there might have been like a dozen.

Having said that for the pistols I would allow it, because like I say there was more of them around.

Personally I would allow M14s if they were old school full length wooden models with a cut down 5-10rnds style magazine. But ONLY because i wouldn't want to restrict to many people on this.

However, the way I see it we are only going to want about 40 people max for this so even by being quite strict we aren't actually stopping this from happening. Pistols alone there are 100's of people, think of all the M1911's and M1911A1's.

i am hoping that full auto will drain the mags fast enough to ensure that the thompsons don't dominate totally over the other players.
You have to remember that the AEGs will be disadvantaged by size indoors too, even supposed Thompson 'SMGs' are rather large guns.

As for numbers it depends on what site we go to.

FCS lewisham at a guess can handle 15 players easly, 25 is rather tight (its a small site)

FCS bristol, again guessing, would need minimum 20 to make it work, and 40 would be ok.

Other sites would be different of corse.

Archived