Who is up for a Prohibition game?

FireKnife

Well after a few PM's with another member or two the idea for a 1930's themed Prohibition game seems like a good one. But one member pointed out a more open discussion would be appropriate so here it is.

So who wants to have a go? It would be an indoor / urban game and a list of possible firearms has already been thought up along with what clothing and carrying systems will and will not be allowed.

So who here wants to help further the idea, maybe even into a series of games around the UK.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think its ironic how we are thinking of a Prohibition-era game during a recession? - our minds turn to the gangsters or yore.

Speaking of depression, we have agreed that there should be plenty of leneicy from a financial POV aswell as availbility in terms of holsters/pouches. Thompson owners for instance should be allowed to use WW2 pouches. Infact most any holster or pouch should be allowed, as long as they are covered or disguised. And NO VELCRO, as proposed by Fireknife, I think thats fair enough.

Whats our stance on M1928 lookalike Thompsons Fireknife?

And who votes for urban here? I think full on CQB might be constricting for some players if they want to use their K98's and other rifles. On the other hand, I wouldn't be the one to ask about suitable sites if we go Urban or indeed CQB - cus I only ever play woodland.

In my mind a Thompson, wether M1A1 or M1928 is ok, rather like the WW2 games which operate a looks like policy.

Therefore we are allowing military Thompsons and 1911A1's to allow those without the money to convert a gun the opportunity to play.

As for the whole pouches thing i think that again so long as the bulk of the clothing (suit, trousers, boots and hat) are correct then a few cordura mag pouches hidden at the sides are fine, though holsters and slings are to be period correct, though WW2 options will be allowed as look a like alternatives.

As for the whole indoors / urban thing i think a possible chat to the guys at FCS or even to go further a field may be the way forward.

'FireKnife'

I have heard good stuff about FCS, but personally I wouldn't want to hold it in London.

I know it sounds a little obvious, but perhaps somewhere in the middle of the UK? (Although I dont think theres a site at Dunsop Bridge, :) )

Having said that, the majority of players will be south-east based, so we could possibly move it slightly futher that way.

Dragon Valleys a good idea - plenty of buildings there, as you say.

Plus 'riflemen' won't be put off, bceause there is open ground. Even their 350fps carpet rule shouldn't be a problem for a prohibition themed game, especially if we want to use the buildings a lot.

I wonder if they would allow us to 'takeover' the site for Prohibition themed game. They base their games around particullar themes anyway, so might be a good idea.

EDIT: Yeah it would be awesome if the safezone became a speakeasy for the day...

Was waiting for your input, ED-SKaR.

Now i am not sure how many of you will be with this idea but i was planning to have a very tight ammo limit to make play a bit more realistic, i doubt gangsters carried more than a few extra mags as such, so i was thinking that a limit of 4-5 magazines total each, and all of which are to be lo-caps or standard GBB mags. Not sure if this is too good an idea but i think a lo-cap Thompson with 3 mags and a back up 1911A1 with two mags sounds reasonable.

May make play a bit more challenging and no spray and pray.

'FireKnife'

I like the idea a lot. Though, I don't tend to carry a backup, so do we think that those without secondarys could have a couple of extra Primary magazines?

4x Thompson stds will be about 250 I think, so what limit are we aiming for, about 300rnds? - dependant on the gun ofcourse.

How many people are we aiming for on this one too? As many as possible or a limit?

Like i said 4-5 total, so that is 4-5 spread between how ever many guns you carry, so it could be five pistols with one mag each or one with five mags.

Well i am considering a limit on the number of players who turn up with specific weapons, try to get a range of choices and options, some with pistols, some shotguns, some rifles and some SMG's.

All i know is i will have a 1911A1, maybe two.

'FireKnife'

Never EVER limit magazines, thats just a silly idea for airsoft as you end up with a totally unfair ammount of ammo from person to person. one person has a handgun with 25 round mags and the other has boxmags, as an extreem example.

Instead limit it to (no, i am not joking) 100 rounds per person. the AEG thompsons can have 100 rounds in a single mag, burn it off then leave a-la real life. or they could be slightly more slick and have 50 round mag and a few pistol mags.

If everyone was to bring more than enough mags, and a speedloader that they can carry into the field(i allways do) then we can change the ammo limit if 100 rounds is just to little.

It is my personal opinion that a brief engagement suiting the real life firefights would be very much a lot of fun if applyed this way to airsoft. With quite a few handgunners and shotgunners it would ballence the thompson AEGs. They have full auto but they only have 100 rounds.

Take me as an example. With my machine pistol i would get 4 20 round mags and then one mag(14 rounds i think) from my springer 1903. This is how i would go (so long as i can get the machine pistol working) otherwise it would be a semi-auto 1911 with the same mags.

Shotguns are another consideration. Do you limit the BBs or the shots? take the m500s (i would allow theese) that shoot 5 BBs per shot. What would you do about the ammo limit here? I honestly dont know, but i would prefer to count shots not BBs.

Also shell ejecting maruzen M870(that i would allso allow)*

single BB m870s would be fine, just pretend they are pump action rifles (that did exist)

*(i wouldn't allow the tri shot M3s, M1014 or the SPAS12 or any more modern.)

The mag limit is only there to simulate the real thing, often you wouldn't expect people in 1930's Prohib era to be carrying lots, but i do see where you are coming from with a rounds limit. I found that when playing at FCS Bristol it only took me 2 at the most 3 mags of my 1911A1 per game, which is only 75 rounds maximum and some of those games were over 30mins each.

As for the shotguns, i am thinking yes to the M500 so long as it is 6mm, no 8mm is allowed at all. They would be limited to a set number of shots, but since the ACM ones all get 30x5 6mm shots then one full load seems fair. The M870 models are ok too, but i would prefer players to choose something period if it is possible, i will have to post up my acceptable weapons list with a few changes.

Finally there will be no mid or hi caps for those that bring a Thompson, it will be the TM 60rds or the CYMA 47rds ones only, that way we don't just get someone who sprays off an entire clip load then has nothing to do.

'FireKnife'

I am re-colating the acceptible firearms list now.

I am also adding rules to my list (saved as .txt on my desktop)

It is my opinion(and hope) that the games we will play will be allmost "mil-sim". One life each and having to drag your wounded around.

I see that if you get hit in the head or chest you are dead. If hit in gut, arms or legs you are wounded.

Wounded players may not shoot (or be shot at) must sit/ lay down (in the way if possible:P) and their team mates can "pull" them out of the way if they can. If the other side pull them away then they capture them.

No dragging people across the floor, wounded people can walk/limp so long as someone helps them.

I imadgine that the games we will play will be short firefights, lasting 30 seconds to 3 minutes. So we could play 10-20 games per hour and get a great little story going.

I recomend everyone takes speedloaders with them to reload between firefights so we dont have to go back to the safezone every 3 minutes.

What do people think?

We will of corse have some more traditioal airsoft shootemups with more ammo and regen.

I am thinking more story based, but instead of the close milsim i am thinking of this:

Each time a player is hit out they must go back to the starting point for there side and will wait for set period of time, say 5-10 mins, this will represent a new person coming to reinforce the 'dead' person they were before they went to regen.

The one thing i find with one life and wounding hits is that players often just end up cowering behind cover, afraid of taking a single hit as they know they will be out, as for the wounding, it does make sense but it is a bloody hard one to make sure it goes smoothly. I, 9/10, when playing that close range tend to double tap someone in the chest but if both shots hit an arm or leg what happens, is that player twice wounded or dead?

To me i see this as either two things, a series of short and brutal firefights using ED-SKaR's idea or a more storylined adventure with things like raids and holdups with just usual one hit out rules and a replacement regen system.

'FireKnife'

Actually, I was thinking of a story led series of short firefights.

The real firefights that actually happened between police/FBI and the gangs where very short. Rarely lasting more than 5 minutes. Largley what happened is a whole lot of ammo gets burned off in the first 30-90 seconds, nobody dies because they are all cowering behind cover, then the gang try to escape and its all over.

FOR EXAMPLE We would probably start with a few bank roberies where the police show up but the gang has an easy escape, then a few with not so easy escapes. say the police capture one of the gang, they get info on where the gang is hiding so the next firefight would be raiding the gangs hideout and the gang must escape again. the gang loose all their guns escaping so they raid a police station to get some more guns and to return their arrested comrades. the police manage to follow the gang as they leave the police station and we try some sort of car chace and the cars crash and a last stand firefight ensues where the gang are wiped out.

I see that, 5-10 games, lasting an hour or less.

Then we can play a couple of 20 minute regen games and we can see what the players prefer.

As i am coming up with the wounded rules you canot be double wounded or killed once you are wounded (bullets make you imortal:P) you can be rescued or captured.

Ah i see on the wounded rules but to me i think one hit out is easier, less confusion from players there.

I agree we should be having quick firefights but it should be a bit more than just that, having all sorts of random engagements like defending a bar or club, trying to set explosives etc. in an opponents establishment, all i admit are ideas taken from games and films but that is where most of the inspiration comes from.

Now i truly can't wait for my second TM 1911A1 to arrive. Now where to get a Last Man Standing style shoulder holster.

'FireKnife'

I agree we should be having quick firefights but it should be a bit more than just that, having all sorts of random engagements like defending a bar or club, trying to set explosives etc. in an opponents establishment, all i admit are ideas taken from games and films but that is where most of the inspiration comes from.

You are calling them random engajements i am calling them firefights. I will send you my few game plans and see what you think.

And that would happly fit inbetween the firefights. As i said i want a story driven series of games, with firefights probably beeing the majority of the games. we play a firefight game, then we trade prisoners that would probably turn into a firefight and then a non firefight game and so on.

I dont really see the explisives thing, why would a bank robber do this? exept to open a safe in a bank, and the explosion would draw the police and a firefight would ensue.

I am in trouble on the holsters front, i have enough black stuff, but not a single piece of leather.

For the holsters i am the same, i have loads of things but nothing leather and eBay ones are too expensive.

As for the explosives, have you not seen the opening to The Untouchables? Possible bussiness that won't pay up, FBI / Police try to stop a bomb attack while gangsters keep them at bay?

'FireKnife'

We can edit my story lead series of 3 minute games to include that very easly.

More worringly, the front grip on my 1911 broke off again. Araldite is not as good as people tell me. IT was a really light knock and it fell off.

I havent got around to modding it to full auto because i spend all my time with it trying to get the damn grip on!

Just make it a regular 1911A1 with a nice compensator, also i am thinking, as a laugh we have a best dressed contest to see who has done the best 1930's loadout of the day.

Now to find a Colt .25 as my backup.

Also one extra mag for my 1911A1 to take it up to 3 each.

'FireKnife'

Love the idea :D

My thoughts:

Serious ammo limit: Yes (200 rounds I reckon, no hi-caps)

Injuries: No (Too hard to manage and police)

3 minute games: No (too short, 10-15 mins would be better)

Re-gen: No (games will be sped up, if player numbers are limited, allow 1 regen per player)

Gun rules should be semi-flexible I think, allowing anything that is not modern (i.e. nothing from 1950-60) with the exception of m500/m870 style shotguns.

Obviously all torches/lasers/reddots would be banned and scopes on rifles would have to be period.

We ran a day like this at the old Airsoft Adventures urban site at Greenham Common back in '99 (shows how long I've been into airsoft lol) and the town style layout was awesome for this type of game. There was a Bank, a Post Office, a 'speak easy, a cop shop and gangland areas. Objectives like one gang selling drugs/alcohol to another gang but then cops show etc

There was a team of 5 police with assault rifles & two gangs, each with 10 members armed with pistols and smgs.

Archived