Marui L96

scar527

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerkahn,

Never had the Firefly soft version, but I micrometered a brand new hard bucking for you:

Length: 16.16 mm

Width: 10.26 mm

Yesterday, I replaced the outer barrel cap with the non-recessed PDI part:

http://www.x-fire.org/vsr10/e.g_bullcap.html

Bad news: the PDI is shorter than the TM cap, so the inner barrel muzzle is unsupported. I added an extra PDI G-spec barrel spacer to fix the problem.

Good news: the shorter PDI cap creates, a built-in "micro-silencer". :)

cheers trasher i will check the specs later, almost sounds good that the pdi one doesnt hold the inner barrel

the fact that all that sound is reduced by channeling alot of it back inside the bull barrel, the arctic warfare covert comes to mind and could be a great solution to suppression without a large silencer ontop of its impressive length

That is qute an interesting developement Trasher. The short PDI cap causing a silencer affect will make the gun live upto its real steel desegnation!

For anyone that didnt know the S of AWS stands for Suppressed, see link below

http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-...weapons/l96.php

As your barrel spacer is probably at the end of your inner barrel and is solid and thus causing an airtight plug you only have a short space for air expansion in the barrel sleeve which will be reducing the silencing affect,

Im wondering what would happen if you were to perforate the barrel spacer with some holes allowing for airflow into the rest of the barrel sleeve, the extra area created by this for air expansion into the rest of the barrel sleeve should/could cause an increase the silencing affect!

An interesting developement indeed!!

"Edit" Dang you guys are quick, in the time it took me to write my response scorch beat me to it with the same point, that will teach me to type like a caveman! :crazy:

There is no dramatic sound suppression, but it's noticeable, since the stock barrel cap worked like an amplifier. For G-spec like suppression, I'd cut the inner barrel back about 7-10cm or replace it with a shorter tightbore, put foam inside, then bore out and shorten the endcap.

The PDI barrel spacer provides much better support for the muzzle than any of the endcaps. Just checked 10m accuracy again to see if BBs are hitting the endcap or not... Three shot groups are less than 16mm. I guess the answer is no. :)

Mugur,

I guess none of us have precision bore gauges at hand... But honestly, until the rifle performs well, with +50 fps higher than claimed by PDI, I don't care much about ID. Inner barrels have little effect on accuracy.

Gerkahn,

Thanks for the UK sniper tape tip, I wrapped the stock and scope yesterday. It's definitely better than the self-adhesive only Camoform tape.

L96 news:

My makeshift spacer for spring guide stopper and the front screw base (on the outer barrel) worked itself loose. I'm gonna loctite the front base shut. (Please note, installing of barrel spacers is easier, if you can remove front base.)

Anyone found out he ID of the stock barrel ?

Sorry for the late response mugur!

The inner barrel is a 6.08mm

Trasher, i sent you the SCS today but i dont know when you will get it. The postal workers are going on strike a lot at the moment so it could take a while. Keep up the good work with yopur experiments mate!

Al

i thought a flat hop nub was supposed to be used with a firefly? some say flat as it maintains the shape of the fireflys fangs, some say a scs/ big out h etc improves a firefly, yet it pushes the fangs out at a different angle.

Even shredder says not to use it with fireflys, ive ordered my firefly hard regardless, im willing to try the scs with the standard marui bucking and compare results with both, maybe that could be our group project, would be nice to see if there is a notable difference either way.

ive got access to 40m of windless shooting, so i can get results with the firefly (if i ever install it properly) and the normal rubber plus scs and one with the firefly and scs

No, i know shredder,i have talked to him some days ago, he was not sure that his scs will work on tm l96, that is why i asked...

I think it should, shredder reccomends a soft rubber with the hop ridge/hump removed, this should allow the SCS's profile to grip the BB properly, i think it works with the hop ridge left in the hop rubber as well but removed gives the best results.

I want to try the SCS in mine but I am away this week so we will have to leave the testing to Trasher for the moment (if the postal strike doesnt hold back my delivery to him)

I cant wait to try it myself as many people seem to have excelent results using SCS.

Well, my L96 is working pretty well with H-nub and Firefly hard VSR rubber. :) Removing the ridge precisely and evenly is a difficult task, so for now I'll stick to stock rubber w/ SCS nub combo. Without the ridge, I think the rifle will underhop .40s.

Except for the trigger problem, the L96 performed pretty well this weekend. I had 6-7 one-shot-kills up to 60m. My VSR is still more consistent and has flatter trajectory at 550+ fps. I'm thinking about a 6.00 or 5.98 edgi(?) tightbore for extra fps. Installing a more powerful spring is not an option until the trigger sear and setpin is zinc-alloy.

Laylax ad:

Marui L96 piston

L96 Marui spring guide

Marui L96 cylinder

L96 Marui Spring

Cheek pads Marui L96

Marui L96 trigger ?

Marui L96 cylinder head

Marui Mount Base L96

Outer Barrel For Marui L96

Inner Barrel For Marui L96

banner_l96.jpg

Nineball was even worse!

Tried many times until I managed to install the Firefly, about 80-90% correctly (with heavy lubing and swearing). A small portion of bucking was still protruding from the chamber. I hoped that the outer shell of hopup unit will push it in place when I screw the two halves together, and it worked.

I recommend careful sanding of the bucking.

Archived