Raptors over my house

Connery

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty damn sure that today, at the Air Show here in Hawaii, three F-22 Raptors were a part of the demonstrations. I say I'm not 100% sure, because I wasn't there. I live about three miles away from the Marine Base where they were hosting it, so I can pretty much see everything.

As I was saying...Hawaii isn't exactly an ideal location for Raptors, but if they truly were, it's an honor.

Oh yeah, and the Blue Angels are here, too. :blink:

Cool. My friend went to the RIAT 2004 at RAF Fairford, and I can't for the life of me remember if the F-22 made an appearance. I know the B2 and F117 were there (there were actually 2 F117's), and the Eurofighter, so it could well have been. I really ought to have paid more attention to him; he did take over 200 photos though...

Just checked and they didn't. Ah well. Should get some photos taken matey :D

The Commanche really isn't needed... Nor is the Paladin... or whatever self propelled artillery vehicle. You don't need an advanced anti-radar scout helicopter to take place of the Kiowas we have now. The fighting we are doing is against guerilla insurgents, not a cold war super power. The Raptor isn't really needed now either, but it sure looks cool.

• 7 years later...

Apparently... don't claim to be an expert but that's what this dude was saying. He said that the only reason people think its going to see service is because it has been adopted in Hollywood in films such as Iron Man etc... Seems a hell of a lot of money for a test bed if you ask me so I would of thought it would see service but this USAF engineer was adamant it won't see service so I have no idea what to think :huh:

Necropost muahahaha xD

The raptor is a test bed for the ill fated F-35 is is not intended to see actual service according to a USAF engineer from Lakenheath I spoke to...

I call shenanigans on this, they wouldn't have posted so many to fighter wings if that was the intent. Now, will it ever see combat service, doubtful. However it is well known that the cost/flight time ratio has made the F-22 the most expensive aircraft the Air Force is currently using, and if you look around you can see it already has an impending phase out date that isn't too far off.

I used to drive by Langley AFB every day and I see them flying often, so they really aren't that cool to me anymore.

Future production of the Raptor was axed back in 2009 after they finished the final run of 187 planes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/04/06/daily17.html

If the F35 doesn't go ahead then our navy can say goodbye to thier airpower. But at least they can use the new supercarriers as mobile venues for oymplic swimming events.

Archived