VFC Barrett M82A1

lionel

I ordered one a couple of weeks ago.

The gun is BIG & heavy. The quality seams good, and it's well built.

It's also really a simple gun, there are not a lot of parts, and very few moving parts.

The gas chamber looks HUGE, and it has the longest barrel of any other gun I know about.

While the hop-up may be touchy, it seams simple & solid.

The down side.....

Mine has yet to fire one single shot, why you ask?

1. The hop-up came in pieces, & for some reason the barrel was pushed back about 8in.

This made it impossible to assemble the gun, it took me about an hour messing with it

get the thing in one piece, then I had to figure out how the hop-up works.

The instructions are poor. They only cover gun basics.

2. The gun assembles on a front pivot welded to the gun, mine came unattached,

the gun can still be assembled, but it's one less attachment point, only the pins hold

the upper & lower.

3. The gas valve doesn't work, on mine the gas comes out as fast as you put it in.

GB-Tech is sending me replacement parts, but for $1440,+ $165 shipping, I did expect more!

Other then that the gun rocks, I can't wait to use it, this gun will scare people!

Syndrome, how long did it take for GB-Tech to send you the replacement parts?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, hopefully should have mine by the end of September, contacted GB-Tech directly regarding the problems on the gas cylinder as well as appropriate gas to use, the reply was hopefull :)

Thanks very much for your email and query.

1.      Sorry to let you know that Barrett M82A1 will be ready in the end of September.

2.      General speaking, we suggest to use Green Gas (12kg) and the 0.7g 8mm aluminum ball to make the outstanding impression.

3.      Before every Barrett sending out, we had strictly quality test. However to avoid some customer to face the problems of leaking. (mostly about o-ring) We change the O-ring vender. In addition, next lot of Barrett M82A1 will make the improvement on the parts/system combination.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Joy Chang

Looking at the new pics up on the site I reckon I can probably rig a solenoid to the trigger to give the gun an interesting barrel recoil too :P

Check out my webpage for all those toys you ever wanted but were never immature enough to buy!

Update...

Gun still doesn't work.

Gb-Tech & Redwolf are blaming US customs for breaking the gun, Funny thing is customs never

opened up the box.

It's been over 3 weeks, and I still have a $2000 paper weight!

I'm giving them one more week, or at least a conformation that they are going to fix it, then I'm going to file a claim with my Credit Card, since they will NOT take the gun back.

• 5 weeks later...

ok, here were are, 1 month later, and no review. Why might you ask?

Aside from it briefly working at thunder 2, The gun has stoped working again, it will fire off one round, then the feed screws up and wont fire again resulting in having to put the mag back in to fire one more shot *hopefully on the first trigger pull*. So chalk this up to another problem with the gun and no nobody in chicago can figure out wtf is wrong and why isn't it feeding right.

When ever i get a working gun, i'll review it, no use reviewing something that has shot 80 rounds and only had 30 of them pointed tword people.

The few shots that did work, scared the living bejesus out of people though.

it chrono'ed .34's @ 411 using green gas, which is in specs out here. (limit=421) it also won coolest gun award at the op, i couldn't set the hop-up right in order to get the bb's to fly somewhere to stright, i zinged them by a few heads but thats about it.

So far i'm disappointed i can get a gun for 1,400$ and be shafted this bad.

By the way since i forgot to post these

biggun.jpg

33784544-L.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up syndrome, sounds like your having some major problems with that M82.

Still waiting for mine, apparently the factory is rushed off its feet trying to fulfill orders. Hopefully the newer batches will be more reliable than the first run, lets hope so as if the gun didn't look so damn cool I would definitely be having second thoughts!

Nice camo job btw, probably looking to do something similar with mine if it ever gets here before the VCR bill buggers things up, ah well, I suppose worse comes to worse I am £1000 better off :rolleyes:

Know what ya mean Marcel, even though the news isnt good I still gotta get me one of those bad boys!!! :blink:

Syndrome, a little advice if you will please. I have painted everything under the sun but this would be my first gun project (not the last if it goes ok!)

Just wondering if you undercoated the gun before applying the base colours? I would imagine a liberal wipe with good old meths is a good starting point too???

Your camo scheme would actually look quite nice next to my RC Abrams!

Lots of toys!!!

No one of you has a working M82A1? <_< I hope VFC will make a new version because if I spent over $1400.00 for a single gun it should work fine. And I can't help me but I have to buy one.

Yea, that's what I thought also. When I got the gun, it was due in part to Redwolfs write up on it.

Funny, how every one I know that got the gun has the SAME problems with it!

There is a company over here, that is going to do some custom stuff with my gun, extended tight bore barrel, custom hop-up, new valve, try to make the trigger effort less hard, and lastly due a CO2 conversion to it.

BTW, I received a email yesterday, that my replacement parts have shipped out, maybe now, I'll be able to shoot my $1900 paper weight.

- extended tight bore barrel: Is it possible to make it longer? Isn't it the maximum length? Which diameter has the original barrel (6.04 or 6.03)?

- custom hop-up: Ok this could be a problem, but I changed a lot of hup-ups with custom constructions. Should be possible or not?

- new valve: VFC should solve this problem if it is not a standard type, it is hard/impossible to make it work or better

- trigger effort less hard: Is it really too hard? Harder than the G&G M14 oder SOC-16?

- CO2 conversion: This would change a lot, but does not solve problems with the gas system. And not all people want a CO2 if they buy a gas gun.

The problem with the valve is: the gas is pushing against the valve spring!!! Sooner or later the spring will be "tired" and the gas will start leaking... Or if you use stronger gas. If they will not completely rebuild the valve at all, the problems would not end :waggle:

Well, I did not have time to do it, but i have ready new system (compressed air).. If the new valve will be as bad as the old one, I will do it... I did not have time because I was rebuilding the gas system in G&P SVD Dragunov to CO2 (600fps/0,43g :whistling: )...

Sorry for my terrible english... :blink:

- extended tight bore barrel: Is it possible to make it longer? Isn't it the maximum length? Which diameter has the original barrel (6.04 or 6.03)?

- custom hop-up: Ok this could be a problem, but I changed a lot of hup-ups with custom constructions. Should be possible or not?

- new valve: VFC should solve this problem if it is not a standard type, it is hard/impossible to make it work or better

- trigger effort less hard: Is it really too hard? Harder than the G&G M14 oder SOC-16?

- CO2 conversion: This would change a lot, but does not solve problems with the gas system. And not all people want a CO2 if they buy a gas gun.

It's a 8mm gun, not 6mm, it might be a 8.03 they can do what ever you want, there is enough room to get at least another 3in/ 75mm of barrel in there.

The hop-up is just a poor design, it should not be hard to make it actually work.

the trigger needs like 35lbs of pressure to use, it's super hard, my finger was bruised my finger messing around with it.

it would not be a conversion, as much as a new adapter that lets you load CO2 like gas.

once i get my feeding problems sorted out soon *something was a bit dirty and i apprently didn't clean it right* i'm ebaying it, i cant handle the maintnance on it due to me being new to airsoft and not knowing wtf i'm doing *started in april* its to much for me to handle, the weight and length are fine, the cary handle makes things work so much easier so its not that bad to lug around.

probably start the bidding at a grand and say flerk it to my losses.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, my M82 (or Vera as I like to call her) is on its way, should be with me in a couple of days via EMS from a friend in Hong Kong.

Apparantly its from the new improved second batch of guns, first reports are its a *badgeress* to put together (great, I like a challenge) and after a little lube up with some oil spits plastic death like a good 'un

Will give you a heads up once I put a few rounds through it and let you know the score

Oh, the paint job is a little heavy too, obscured the markings a little, nothing but cosmetics, going to be spraying her up in a nice British DPM anyhow

Sorry to say that, but You will put ONLY few rounds :diablo:

I installed the new valve from VFC and it is the same system of valve (idiotish, stupid and non functional system)!!! They only used stronger spring - that means that You can fire maybe 200 rounds (instead of 100) before it will get useless...

I am very, very, very dissapointed with this gun... Another display only gun... :angry:

hahah 6.03 that would be a very tight tightbore for a 8mm gun

Well first off i'd just like to state: Why is using the M2 50 cal. HMG on Hummers, tanks and apc's legal under the geneva convention?  Technically it shouldnt ^_^

Secondly, there are several reasons possible for this usage: (some real, some not)

1.  Technically you could argue that "I wasent aiming at him, i was aiming at the ground behind him (or air infront of)"

2.  Since 50 cal rounds have a tendency to destroy anything that travels within about 6 inches of the round, again you could say u were aiming elsewhere

3.  What country follows the Geneva Convention to the cross on the T?

4.  The geneva convention only states that the use of ammunition such as hollopoints, or other "Specialized Rounds" the standard 50 cal. slug only =)

5.  Technically a soldier/terrorist wearing body armor is an "Armored Target"

6.  Terrorism is a tricky subject, rules have been bent, or otherwise destroyed, to remove them from power and their "Homeland"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Humerous please dont hurt (Cowers in corner)  In all honesty though, I asked a military friend of mine and i got the answer that the geneva convention only states that the usage of ammunition that could make saving the targets life impossible is "illegal" and technically a 50 cal round from an M2 doesnt necessarily make it impossible to heal them back to full health (although i'd imagine that it'd be purty hard to do!)

Heh...I know you are joking, but everyone is missing a major point:

THE U.S. NEVER SIGNED THE GENEVA CONVENTION, even though in practice we pay lip service to following it.

Sorry for such a long quote for such a short post but it had to be said :)

Jimi

Heh...I know you are joking, but everyone is missing a major point:

THE U.S. NEVER SIGNED THE GENEVA CONVENTION, even though in practice we pay lip service to following it.

Sorry for such a long quote for such a short post but it had to be said  :)

Jimi

Hate to call you on a technicallity but we did sign the 1949 one dealing with the treatment of prisoners :)

Linky

Duely noted that Geneva Conventions = numerous so saying we never signed the geneva convention is tooo broad :) Although you are right on the 1977 ones =)

Archived