Better sights on a TM M1911A1?

Vercingetorix

So i had to abandon my TM Kimber Warrior project because other things came up, but I did get a TM 1911A1. My only two gripes with it are the low gas capacity and the shitastic sights. They aren't worth a damn when skirmishing and are a *badgeress* to aim with. I am thinking of slapping on a Guarder standard 1911 metal kit, but would there be any way to mod it to have better sights? Like novaks, bomars, etc? Anything?

Thanks for the help guys!

If you want to use an A1 blowback housing with an MEU rear sight, you'll need to modify the rear sight or housing slightly. Then you might want to replace the grip safety, hammer, thumb safety, and mainspring housing unless you want use old school A1 parts on a modern body.

You could purchase RS A1 rear sights. It's mostly a matter of measuring the dovetail and doing some filing. But keep in mind Guarder kits don't have removable front sights.

You must remember that most of the metal MEU kits, do not include the rear Wilson sight. Most of those kits require that you use the sight that came with your "store bought" MEU. There are not many kits, that I've been able to find, that come with the both Front and Rear sights.

• 1 month later...

Necropost, but I have been wondering, is it possible to use a rs rear novak with the fixed guarder front sight? Or will that not work properly(I am guessing the latter)? The reason being is I like the classic 1911 slide and frame with old school colt trades, etc but as I said earlier the sights suck horribly. As I understand it any of the kits that don't have fixed front sights require milling to allow the dovetailed novak front sights to fit anyway, something I cannot do myself nor do I know anyone who could do such a thing for me. Maybe I should contact prog4, but that would probably be more money than I am willing to spend(considering this is really going to be a beat up skirmishers gun, I'd rather not throw money at it for such petty cosmetic things as correct trademarks, etc).

Anyone have any ideas? Are there any old school style frames (like series 70/80 kits) that take bomar sights or novaks for the TM 1911?

Thanks guys!

Sadness.... I wonder where I could take a frame to get it machined to take a novak sight.... It'd have to be someone versed in guns, or it probably wouldn't be installed correctly (or at least that is my thinking.... I've never been to commission work from machinists before).

Edit: You know what, I love my 1911 :P having it machined to take a novak would be worth the money, screw it, I'll just go for a pro-win kit from boom arms kit (because as I said earlier, no point in getting a nova, etc because this thing will be in the mud and sand in my dirtshovel of a serpa).

Also, would the Prog4 and ASurgeon light weight cnc'd aluminum bbu fit in the pro-win/pgc slides and take novak style slides without mods (because as I recall these bbus are designed more with the "tactical' hicapa/2011 sights in mind anyway). Any other upgrades you guys would recommend for the all around best performance (preferably 300ish FPS w/ .25s, good range, accuracy, consistency and gas efficiency). as I've said before I am a complete novice as to which parts are best and must haves, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit again:

Which kit is the best/what are the differences?

1911a1 mil style:

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdetail.asp?ProductID=1733

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdetail.asp?ProductID=1953

M1911A1 civi style (series 80):

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdetail.asp?ProductID=1954

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdetail.asp?ProductID=1980

?

I am guessing different manufacturers....

OK I know ive come across this thread alittle late but you can modify a standard ABS (or metal if you so wish) TM 1911a1 slide to accept the TM 4.3 rear sight or the 5.1 Bomar, just go have a peek at my YouTube sight (link in my signature) and see what ive done on some of my projects. ;)

Amazing work you've got there Mr.Maniac, and thanks for those videos, they are great. Looks like I'll be sticking to that maxim of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and leaving it with the stock plastic slide. I'll just pick up a set of Dytac "night sights" for the 1911 and follow your guide to installing them (seeing as I haven't got any 4.1/3 hicapa sights or bomars readily availible anyway).

Amazing work you've got there Mr.Maniac, and thanks for those videos, they are great. Looks like I'll be sticking to that maxim of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and leaving it with the stock plastic slide. I'll just pick up a set of Dytac "night sights" for the 1911 and follow your guide to installing them (seeing as I haven't got any 4.1/3 hicapa sights or bomars readily availible anyway).

Wo there! mate, before you run out and buy the Dytac sights, Dytac sights are only able to fit correctly the TM MEU 1911 not the TM 1911a1 (BBH fitment hole is slightly different). You could try adapting but I would go with the Freedom Art sight sets for the TM 4.3 as its a matter of just cutting into the slide itself and it should fit with no BBH problems.

Hope that helps and thanks for the comment on vids, glad to hear there helping :D

So in yet another case of my characteristic flippy-flopping, I found a BNIB PGC M1911A1 metal kit for a mere $100. Needless to say I jumped on it, so I am going metal now.... I just couldn't resist at that awesome price (it doesn't include the recoil spring or piston, but whatever, I can buy those later).

Now... How am I going to switch this to novaks, etc.... *thinking cap on* Ugh, getting it machined is going to be EXPENSIVE....

So in yet another case of my characteristic flippy-flopping, I found a BNIB PGC M1911A1 metal kit for a mere $100. Needless to say I jumped on it, so I am going metal now.... I just couldn't resist at that awesome price (it doesn't include the recoil spring or piston, but whatever, I can buy those later).

Now... How am I going to switch this to novaks, etc.... *thinking cap on* Ugh, getting it machined is going to be EXPENSIVE....

Um...why not do it yourself?

I use a hacksaw and needle files to fit them. I did a TM 4.3 rear sight to a 'Bell' metal 1911a1 slide a while back and that went OK.

If you go to my YouTube channel (link in signature), im going to be uploading within the week a video where im doing this, fitting a 4.3 rear sight to a standard plastic 1911a1 slide.

Should be pretty much the same whether its for metal or plastic and Novak or 4.3.

Um...why not do it yourself?

I use a hacksaw and needle files to fit them. I did a TM 4.3 rear sight to a 'Bell' metal 1911a1 slide a while back and that went OK.

If you go to my YouTube channel (link in signature), im going to be uploading within the week a video where im doing this, fitting a 4.3 rear sight to a standard plastic 1911a1 slide.

Should be pretty much the same whether its for metal or plastic and Novak or 4.3.

The biggest problem is I need to create the dovetail/slot for the front sight, and completely grind down where the front sight was. I certainly don't think I am competent enough with either a dremel or hand-tools to do that :( I called up polarstar airsoft, since I am relatively local to them and they would accept these kinds of small airsoft machining projects, and labor is $80 per hour.... Expensive, but expected I suppose. *sigh* Time to start saving. Especially since I am thinking about going for tritiums, and I DO NOT want to be dremeling those sights to fit over the BBU, etc.

We'll see what exactly I can do when it actually shows up.

Also, I've heard the PGC barrels aren't that good, so any ideas for a good outer barrel?

Any needed upgrades that come with switching to a metal slide and frame? I know the kit comes with sears, but that is it.

I've heard the PGC barrels aren't that good, so any ideas for a good outer barrel?

Any needed upgrades that come with switching to a metal slide and frame? I know the kit comes with sears, but that is it.

Outer barrels are good from 'Anvil' but expensive ive been told, or there's 'Hurricane' but im not sure if they do barrels seperately.

'Guarder' are OK but need alittle work to function well.

Upgrades would be a recoil spring. Hammer springs I find to be just cosmetic and the benefit you get is marginal. Other than that all parts should be OK to use as is if you wish to save money, however that said, I would recomend a 'Nineball' Hop rubber/ magazine seal combo for damn good range, accuracy and power.

I don't think I've ever seen a nineball mag seal for a 1911 (unless those new purple hicapa ones work with 1911 mags too). Got a link? And Anvil? Never heard of them either.... Garsh I am a nooblet :P

Yep its the purpley pink ones that fit the Hi-capa, they will fit for the 1911s aswell (ive fitted them no problem). 'Anvil' are a bugger to find online but I had help ;) See links below:

Anvil parts: http://www.enten.co.jp/EN-TM-Chmber.html

Nineball mag seals: http://www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk/Gas%20Guns/Gas%20Pistol%20Parts/Items/Nine%20Ball%20Pack.htm

I think I am going to go with 10-8 sights, as they are cheaper and purportedly better than novaks.

Now, 1) anyone know a place in HK or USA that has those nineball hop-up backings/bucking in stock? 2) Anyone know where you can get the longer versions of the standard 1911 triggers in silver: http://www.10-8performance.com/1911.html like seen in the background there?

Archived