Thanks BP for ruining our beaches with oil

PILMAN

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its kinda twisted that they managed to cap it like this. If they would have siphoned it and had it sealed then we would finally have known the flow rate numbers they have been bickering about for months. Also wouldnt siphoning have helped them ease the pressure that they are worried about cracking the liner?

Hmm let me try to use my good english hehe.

Right now they have essentially corked it, and they are staring at pressure gauges to make sure it doesnt spike. If pressure were to exceed a certain point then there would be a high probability that it would compromise the liner of the well below the seabed.

A)Why cant they siphon to regulate the pressure themselves.

B)The previous cap, which they were using to siphon to tankers, allowed them to report a relatively high flow rate compared to estimates. That was with a large quantity of oil still gushing out. I supposed now the actual flow rate can never be known

C)I am assuming its a standalone cap that doesn't require topside support, because its going to be dicey over the weekend with this system entering the Gulf(as yet still a depression, but not for long by NOAA estimates)

http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic?desc=NHC&idx=0&trk=1&sid=250032&lat=26.766&lon=-81.434&z=2&rd=0&sr=0&cd=0&tk=1&mo=1&ht=0&mg=0&ob=0&wf=1&ml=1&ql=0&sl=0

---I always trust the US Navy model(NOGAPS), they have been correcting the path eastward throughout the day

Archived