Ni-Cd batteries?

BIGBC

Ive got two 9.6V Ni-Cd batteries from my remote control cars that have been lying unused for a while, they already have the Tamiya connectors on them and Im wondering if its safe to power an AEG from them?

Its not for any of my own guns but my neighbor who needs a replacement battery and will have no cash for a while.

I know they're not ideal but if they can safely run the gun I might aswell let him have them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yep, they should run an AEG just fine. It depends, are they 'proper' nicads, like good quality cells from 'proper' hobby-grade RC cars, or are they cheaper 'toy' ones like from Toys 'r' us or Argos?

The only thing to check is that the connector is wired up the same way - I read somewhere that RC cars and airsoft have the Tamiya connector wired up the opposite way round - check which colour of wire is connected to which shape of pin.

Alright cheers, will give them a bash.

They are custom SANYO packs, think they were supposed to be pretty decent when I got them but decent by RC standards gives me nothing comparison wise.

The connector appears to be the right way around, putting them on charge now.

End of the day, an airsoft gun is basically just a basic RC car with a modified gearbox, is it not? Oooh, petrol driven AEG...

*shakes head*

As long as the battery is strong enough to tick over the gearbox (7.6V, possibly 8.4V depending on the spring), you'll be fine. Airsoft guns take Ni-Cds as standard anyway, it's just that Ni-Mhs and especially lipos are that bit more effective.

You should be just fine... Is it a large or a small type battery though?

If it's a small type battery, there might be some difficulties if it has a low mAh value and you want to use the battery on a higher power AEG (M110 springs and above)...

Yeah I couldnt think of a reason why it wouldnt work but thought it worth checking.

He didnt come round today so havent had chance to give them a go.

They are low capacity and his gun munches through batteries so it isnt a long term fix by any means but its better than nothing.

NiCD are superior to NiMH in my opinion. I have an 8.4 and 2 9.6v NiCD packs and they run as fast as NiMH of a cell bigger. Sanyo ones are even better.

I feel they give better bang for the buck too, an 8.4v NiCD 600mAh on AF cells has lasted me 4 days of gaming in the past, whereas an 1100NiMH might last the day.

they do blow up, and can be more dangerous due to shrapnel and hot flying hazardous liquids,

but wont burn anything down.

from my experience large tamiya connectors are wired the same for rc and airsoft, but the mini

tamiya are reversed for airsoft.

just move on to lipo and blow away both nicd and nimh.

There are people that still haven't realized how much better lipo batteries are? blink.gif

The OP asked about nicads as a short term solution. That was unnecesary.

Nicads dont blow up and burn down your house!

And neither do LiPos. I wish the Lipo scaremongering would stop.

NiCD are superior to NiMH in my opinion. I have an 8.4 and 2 9.6v NiCD packs and they run as fast as NiMH of a cell bigger. Sanyo ones are even better.

I feel they give better bang for the buck too, an 8.4v NiCD 600mAh on AF cells has lasted me 4 days of gaming in the past, whereas an 1100NiMH might last the day.

I still use nicads in all my guns, simply because I have a few of them from my RC models. They're great batteries, very underrated.

they do blow up, and can be more dangerous due to shrapnel and hot flying hazardous liquids,

but wont burn anything down.

In my experience you have to try pretty hard to get a nickel-based battery (NiCd, NiMH) to do anything other then get very hot.

BIGBC, if your batteries are made from Sanyo cells they should be fine. Sanyos are pretty much the best nicads you can buy. The only other thing to watch is I would not put a 9.6V battery on a stock TM AEG. Most other guns should be fine though.

^ what he said.

I had a pinched wire in a gun just yesterday, with a 1500mAh battery. The battery got so hot, the pins in the mini Tamiya plug fused together, but it didn't light up. I simply pulled the battery till the wires pulled out of the pins (another reason to avoid soldering them, if possible. Deans are even better).

I hate to think what would have happened with a LiPo. I know theyre safe if used right, otherwise mobile phones wouldnt use them. But I'm just glad it was an NiMH, not a LiPo...

My main reason for not going LiPo is that I can't be bothered to modify every single gun I own with low voltage cut offs.

^ what he said.

I had a pinched wire in a gun just yesterday, with a 1500mAh battery. The battery got so hot, the pins in the mini Tamiya plug fused together, but it didn't light up. I simply pulled the battery till the wires pulled out of the pins (another reason to avoid soldering them, if possible. Deans are even better).

I hate to think what would have happened with a LiPo. I know theyre safe if used right, otherwise mobile phones wouldnt use them. But I'm just glad it was an NiMH, not a LiPo...

My main reason for not going LiPo is that I can't be bothered to modify every single gun I own with low voltage cut offs.

Much the same. Had a short on a metal body with a 11.1v lipo. battery and wires got very hot and the battery is now shagged, but no nuclear fallout.

Archived