My experience with Clarence Lai

Pato

First of all: I don’t want to spread any rumours about Clarence, his work and his customer support. I just want to tell you guys about my experience with the Airsoftsurgeon because I think you should know.

I ordered a custom Beretta 92FS in February 2004. When I placed my order Clarence said that it would take him 6 to 8 weeks to build my gun. After 15 months he finally e-mailed me and told me that my gun is ready. In the meantime he either promised me that my gun would be ready by the end of “this month” over and over again or he just didn’t respond to my e-mail for several months and didn’t answer the phone when I called.

Anyway, after 15 months I finally got the gun. But it wasn’t exactly the gun I ordered.

Clarence and I talked quite a few times about the fact that it was important to me that he puts italian markings and NOT american markings on the gun. Even though he said that that would be absolutely no problem and that my gun will include italian markings he actually put american markings on it. You may think that I am picky. I think that if you pay more than 2000 dollars for a custom gun you deserve to get the one you ordered and not one that looks similar to it. The other thing is that I ordered and paid for 4 extra magazines. He did not send them. He didn’t even manage to put the magazine catch on the other side of the gun like he promised. I e-mailed Clarence and tried to call him in order to complain about the mistakes he made. He doesn’t respond to my e-mail anymore and he doesn’t answer the phone.

So if you plan on doing business with Clarence and you:

- would like to get your gun in less than 15 months

- do care about the markings on your gun

- wish to get everything you ordered/ everything you paid for

- would like Clarence to reply to your e-mail and answer the phone when you call

then you may want to reconsider.

I spoke to Clarence two weeks back, so I know he's answering the phone. All I could suggest is contacting him to resolve the problem with him direct.

Pato - PM me the email address that you have for Clarence, if it's different from the one I have for him I'll drop him and email and point his attention to this thread.

Well, Being in HK at the mo and Have been to majority of the Airsoft Shops.........All i can say that their customer support and service in Shops are absolute ######.

I have been into Guns N Guys twice to ask about products of which i was interested in purchasing (ICS M4 & Guarder Chono 2000) and twice they did not have stock and did not know when they would have them in stock.

Another question i put to them was how would they compare a CA M15 & a ICS M4.....their reply..........we dont know??????? WTF i thought

All the Airsoft Shops don't seem to want to help or discuss things with you.....I get the feeling of their thinking is "If your not buying then Bugger off".......as they definitely will benefit more from selling their stuff online as they make more money.

Being that i am a very big Airsoft enthusiast, i'm very disappointed in how they treat their customers........their main concern is Give us your money first then ask us questions later.

Most of the shops in HK don't seem to want to help or discuss anythings with you unless u always buy accessories from them or u are fd with them!!!

The only shop i recommend is Boom Arms Cafe, they will answer your question no matter u buy or not!! The gun smith there is the best i have ever met in HK, he charged me a reasonable price and answered all the question and he is a very nice guy!! His name is "Siu Ming"Now, all my fds' guns and my guns will only repair at there!!!

• 1 month later...

old thread but I have to stick up for Guns N Guys. . Peter Chan has given me the best customer service that anyone can ask for. .and that's coming from almost 10 yrs of airsofting and buying from all the HK shops.

For instance. .several years ago, I asked Peter if he had in stock an old MGC Springfield Armory V10 gbb. . he said he only had the MGC model gun version. Now most HK retailers would've stopped with "No. . ."

Further emails, and Peter said he would look around HK for one for me. Now how many shops will actually LOOK around HK for something for a customer. . keep in mind the V10 was out of production for over 6 years already. About 3.5 weeks later, Peter found me both a blk AND silver V10( all without paying for in advance). Needless to say I bought both.

Another instance, Prime came out with the limited edition, 50 units produced CNC LR300 ML kits.. individually serial #ed. .I was too late in getting one on it's release as it was sold out the first week.

Now it was a good 2months since the LR300 was on the market when HK shops were asking top dollar for the kits and US shops, that actually had them, were asking for rediculous prices.

I went back to Peter Chan and told him I was looking for the limited LR300 kit(this is before Prime release info saying they were making a mass produced version that was almost half price) . he said he was sold out and most shops in HK was out. . but he went ahead and said. ."I can find one for you if you want it. . " I glad took him up on his offer and a week later..Peter emailed me with good news. He didn't rape me over the price either even though it was sold out everywhere and for his trouble looking for one for me. . . nearly $100 less than what a US retailer was selling it for . .and after shipping. I am a proud owner of a limited edition CNC built LR300 ML. . .thanks to Peter Chan of Guns N Guys. .not to mention all the other rare guns he's found for me.

NOBODY has yet to provide me with the service that Guns N Guys have. NOBODY. They are the FIRST company I will refer others too.

On the topic of Clarence. . .I've had wonderful and indepth conversations with him on building a full metal Springfield V10 (based off the MGC version ) for me. . mainly just a quote. I never went through it because I didn't have the funds. . but maybe he slacks off once he gets your money? I don' t know. .all I know is I also own an MGC P7M13 HW with a Clarence Lai CNC 7076 slide and CL tuning.

maybe since I'm Chinese, I'm getting better service than some of you from the UK or wherever. . (since HK changed back to China's rule). .ahahahaha.

but in many instances. .most HK shops only want to talk business=money. .very true. .

Actually, most of us abroad (not HK) who use GnG have nothing but praise for them (especially Peter), but locals seem to find some of the shop staff a bit less helpful.

GnG are ALWAYS my first port of call if I'm buying from HK. Better prices (nearly always), faster to ship stuff (they get it posted the same day, Den, UN, WGC sometimes don't) and often quicker to have things (at least on their website).

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

If you are still waiting for emails after nearly 4 years, then I think it's a pretty safe bet that you're not going to hear anything now.

Website no longer appears to be operational.

It's not what you want to hear but my advice - move on and chalk it down to experience.

It's been 4 years now since I ordered and payed for my gun. I still don't get e-mail replies from Clarence or anything else! Great! I wish I would have never sent him my money! :(

Wow, what happened to this?:

Thanks for your help Arnie!

Clarence e-mailed me today and offered to build me a new gun and send the extra magazines. Hopefully it won't take him another 15 months.

Empty promise?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently found out that a gun, very similar to the one that Clarence was supposed to build for me, has been sold through redwolf airsoft.

I e-mailed them and asked if they could give me Clarence's e-mail address.

They said they can't do that but if I send them a message for Clarence they will forward it to him.

I did so but Clarence never got back to me.

I guess he is just a thief and a fraudster. :(

Archived