13 and getting into airsoft...

Its about the fun

As above, get your parent/guardian to come with you to the games. You will need to contact the site before hand to confirm their age limit (it depends on their insurance).

Where abouts do you live? Check out the airsoft map to find some sites near you.

I shaparoned a 9 year old last year in a game. And I started into airsoft myself at the age of 10. Don't see why a 13 year old can't enter the sport, just need the right support from your parents and you MUST be mature about it so that the regulars at a site will be comfortable with a 13 year old around.

i started at your age, i'm 15 alrmost 16 now. i'm not sure about age limits in the UK as i started in hong kong where there is no age limit.

however, before you do start to buy stuff and get serious in the sport i do recomend you rent gear, attend a few games and get some experience. talk to the players and ask them things and gather some advice, i'm sure most would lend you a helping hand in getting you started. one thing i really do highly recomend though is a good pair of boots. you do not want to ruin you day of fun by breaking your ankle.

be mature, honest and call your hits

welcome to the sport!

-brendan

depends on the country, but yeah in terms of players, most of them do not mind younger players as long as youre a good sport. my first game was when i was 12 (or 13)

be warned, its pretty scary how quickly this hobby sucks you in. expect your savings to be empty in no time :D

you were thirteen, thats when i properly introduced it to you, then you got hooked....

-brendan

Very few players that start young stick with it over the years. I actually started playing airsoft when I was 10 years old. And that has been 13 years ago now. I have not taken any long breaks and like to think that I play rather actively. I can recall when the TM M4 first came out!

Sadly starting young has some disadvantages at first (key words at first). You are not taken seriously by pretty much everyone even if you prove you are more then mature enough to handle it. You are still a kid and are treated like one by the so called adults. Some events will not allow you to play due to young age or require you to have a parent or guardian play with you. Which may prove difficult to accomplish. Then you have the issues of transportation to said events because you can not drive yourselves yet and do not even get me started on the money situations. You have to reply on your parents heavily, so lets hope they approve. As others have said airsoft is not cheap and earning your money at that age can be tricky. Luckily for you (and other young players) you now have clones and cheaper guns at your disposal. When I first started out you were spending $280 at a minimum. Now you have cheaper alternatives to help get your foot in the door.

BUT if you do stick around and can prove your maturity and most importantly honesty, you will gain respect from others. Sooner or later the "adults" realize that the young "kids" are the future of airsoft and learn to treat them a little better and mentor them instead of giving them a hard time. The best advice I can give you and other young players is this: be honest, be friendly, have a positive attitude, a willingness to learn (believe it or not you do not know everything and everything is not like it is in your COD video games), be very active and by active I mean attend games, and lastly stick with it!

Good luck soldier!

~Joker out....

It's best to get the right attitude when diving into the sport.

I understand being young and the mentality and behavior that accompanies the age, but a certain level of maturity is necessary to play airsoft.

Time and time again, I see kids at the CQB place I play at not practicing proper muzzle control or trigger discipline. To them, it seems like it is just a game and should not be taken seriously.

The fact is it is a game, but it should be taken seriously due to the risks involved.

In my experiences it has been about equal with "kids" and "adults" in the non hit calling department. I have also noticed a trend of older Military vets whom have some issues with hit calling. I am not trying to start anything here and I am not saying that Military vets cheat when playing airsoft. I have just noticed that a few of them have a hard time believing that some "kids" with no military experience just ambushed and killed them. :blink:

Lets face facts here, everyone and I mean everyone here has at one time or another been hit and not called it. Maybe you did not know you were hit and continued fighting, it happens. Especially those playing in colder weather and wearing lots of layers and gear. If you do not think this is happened to you then you either have not been playing long enough or are in denial. Again it happens.

Now if the "kids" do not get to play with the "adults" then who is going to teach them that honesty and calling hits in airsoft is extremely important? In fact it is so important we depend on that honesty to have a good time with each other. If no one takes the time to teach the young ones they will never learn. I do not necessarily think that "kids" should be allowed at all events, there are some that should remain 18+ for good reason. But I dont think its right to totally deny them the right to learn and have fun playing airsoft. Especially if they are wanting to play with their fathers. :)

~Joker out....

Archived