SA80 ACOG Mount

ollie_ty

Is the only purpose of this to raise the ACOG past the FSP?

Because it looks really ugly :/

As far as I know its to raise the ACOG to the point it is easy to uses with a helmet on. The RS L85's all have them with their ACOG's, this is only for those who want an accurate current issue L85A2 build, the flat top rail works fine too.

How ever I have bought one as i do plan at some point to make a RIS'ed up L85A2.

You remove both the front and rear iron sights whenever you mount an optic to the 85, so no it's just a different kind of mount.

Shame they're a bit late to the party because the standard is now the ELCAN, but I suppose there will always be people who want to do specific time frame load-outs/impressions for when these were norm.

I actually think this looks cool on a L85.

Because a bare L85 with ACOG feels like the ACOG section is too small and this just makes it perfectly proportional.

Not that I will ever buy a capitalist-weapon, but IF I ever do this would be the next thing to get.

The small part of the carry handle that makes up the rear sight aperture is the rear sight, the rest is called the carry handle, all that extra metal isn't there for no reason, it's so you can carry the weapon with it if really necessary. I don't think it'd be such a good idea with a 4x optic, but then again if you think that you grabbing the weapon by the optics mount will mess up your zero, but all that recoil/bashing around it receives during use won't, then you're being a bit silly.

Is this actually on issue now then? Last I heard they were still being trialled. You are more likely to be in the know than most so can you confirm they are actually issued now?

I handled one about in the station armoury here about 3 weeks ago, and the raf reg is always behind the army when it comes to new equipment (and in most other senses). I can't find it now unfortunately but if you care to scroll through Darkchild's posts at some point you'll see him talk of how all his mob are using them.

Carrying it by the 'handle' is for clerks and stores-wallahs. :P

Hiyaaa. :D

*looks around at all the gear back here*

Well my mounts ordered as of a day or so ago, I have an Elcan (Spectre) but is representative of a 1 or 4 X although it is not switchable (like some copies are now available I believe) however from pics I have seen we are only using the 4X mag fixed.

Also, it looks like the hornbill one has a screw to screw down into the indentations in the original SUSAT mount that alows you to pre-fix its fore/aft position before you locked it up with the wing screws

As for carrying a weapon by its sight/ mount Jeeeeeeeeez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody know where I could get a half decent SUSAT? And also, could I mount it to standard rails (i.e. on an FN SCAR)?

SUSAT mounts to 19mm dovetail not a 20mm ris.

You'd have to get a converter made, I don't know if any exist off the shelf.

Yeah, I guessed it would be different seeing as you don't see any other weapons with a SUSAT other than the L85 series. Thanks anyway

You could get a 19mm dovetail rail and screw it in place. I know someone who did that with a clone mp7 (until the plastic body shattered due to the weight:S)

Archived