improved poor mans chrono

sigmaboy

The coke can chrono is nice for giving general fps, but there are big gaps between the different penetration points, so instead i think using a stack of paper to see how fast the gun is shooting would be more precise.

get a stack of 50 sheets of paper, lay them on a hardfloor or table, hold the barrel 6 inches above the stack of paper, and depending on how many pieces of paper the bb penetrates, is the general fps. this still won't be an exact fps reading, but it should be more precise than the coke can. the number of pieces of paper in the stack, the distance away from paper, .20g bbs, and brand of paper all need to remain constant.

If i had an actual chrono i'd start working on this immediately, but unfortunately i don't. so if someone who owns a chrono thinks this is a good idea, it'd be amazing if you could run the tests and post up the results.

feel free to critique the concept.

I think it would be better if newpaper was used instead, because all we do with the paper after reading is just throw it out, and shooting printing paper just for the sake of measuring FPS IMO is quite a waste. This method would also be a lot messier as you would need to stack the paper nicely and count the penetration level; while with a coke can, all you need to do is quickly check if the bullet went through or not.

thats just my 2 cents

-brendan

There was a product before that was being sold at redwolf I think which was basically just stacks of cardboard. You shoot it and have a rough gauge of what fps you're shooting by how many layers it went through. You can do the same with any material so long as the stuff is consistent and you have space between the layers. Having it tightly stacked like a wad of newspaper won't have the bb penetrate much and you won't get a very accurate reading. Of course, you'll have to calibrate the different layers of penetration first.

This has one of the same major flaws that the can has. Different paper is made differently. Even different brands of printer paper would give different results. On cheaper paper it may ever have different thickness on the same sheet.

I once tried this by having sheets of card (from cerial packets) each held 1/2 inch apart, but I never could get even a single gun to give a consistent "reading".

I can sort of see one flaw is also the angle.

If firing straight into the floor, even indoors, the shot has gravity to help it along so you would get a different reading if you did one test on the floor then one outside. Plus in the gas off GBB guns this would lead to a vent issue if firing the gun straight down into a stack of paper so some system to support them in an upright position would be good but again this would lead to the issue of how taught the paper was when the shot hits.

Essentially too many variables to this system for it to work properly. It is the same as the coke can test and a reason why i don't use it. If i want a gun chronoed i take it along to a site along with a gun i know is shooting under site limits. If that gun shoots hot then i just switch it out to the other gun.

'FireKnife'

All sounds very random. Surely if you have enough cash to spend on an Airsoft blaster and most likely are fettling/upgrading it if you require this device, then surely you could also afford a decent Chrono? If not then take your toys to get measured at your game site or if you have a team/group of friends then perhaps purchase a Chrono together.

By all means I can understand the reason behind the coke can test to give you an idea of whether or not your blaster is firing at a "safe" power level or "crazy ridiculous", but it's never going to be able to measure the 'FPS' accurately. Likewise, I see a similar pitfall with your paper theory.

In the end try as people might you can really make an alternative to sticking a gun through a chrono, be it card, paper, cans or whatever it is always going to have too many variables to the system that will make it nowhere near accurate.

I am sure your local site will have no issue with you running a few guns through the chrono to check, in fact i wouldn't be suprised if they encuraged it to see you are playing it safe.

'FireKnife'

Archived