G&P Hop Up question

Hi there,

I recently purchased a G&P M4 CQB for my first rifle purchase. After a few battery mishaps, I finally got the chance to test it!

My garden's fairly long, long enough to test out the hopup, at least. This is where the problem comes in. In order for the BB to visibly curve upwards (Or at least, not curve downwards!) the hop needs to be set to the maximum setting. From what I've read G&P hops aren't the best, so I might need to shop around.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Furthermore - If I do tinker with the hop, should I just be looking at replacing a few bits, like the bucking, nub etc, or should I be looking at replacing the entire thing?

Thanks,

Alex.

Quite a few people seem to dislike the G&P hop unit, and you'll get conflicting information what to do. Some will suggest replace the whole thing, some will say leave it alone, and some, like me, suggest tuning it.

With the G&P hop unit, there's a couple of things that'll improve your effective range; Firstly, buy a couple of hop bucking sleeves and nubs - They're not too expensive, and they're probably one of the best value for money upgrades available. Guarder clear, prommy purple, Madbull blue, TM stock are all brands I've had good results with. Nub-wise, try out a piece of biro ink tube cut to the right size, an SCS concave nub, Element/Big-out 'H' nubs. Try every combination of rubber you can get your hands on; Chances are, you'll find a combination that you'll be happy with the results of.

If that doesn't turn out to be the case, you can remove play in the hop arm by getting some very thin metal (I use cut up flashhider shims) and shimming the arm to stop side to side play. You can also tighten the screw on the adjustment wheel a little to ensure it stays set.

There's nothing wrong with a G&P hop unit at all - I've owned more G&P AEG's than I can accurately recall in the past few years, and with some hop tweaking they've all been nothing but reliable and awesome guns.

If you're like me, test a few rubbers and do some basic tweaking and see how the results go; I'm reasonably confident you'll get the range and accuracy you're after with some tuning if you're willing to spend a couple of hours doing it.

If you're the tinkering type, google 'R-Hop'.

There is NOTHING wrong with the G&P hop unless the specs are off and generally they aren't. The G&P BUCKING is what's ######. That's why you just need to change the bucking (and maybe the barrel too, but bucking's more important). If you can get the prommy purple, then it's universally regarded as one of the best buckings you can get. Otherwise, try a Lonex Hard bucking, people seem to fawn over them in ASM.

Uhoh... My marui AUG had a broken hop up (adjustment wheel broke). I did some looking and found that pretty much the only aftermarket HU unit for the aug was the g&p one :/.

I thought g&p was pretty good with their hopups. I've never owned a g&p (more of a TM and Kwa kinda guy)

Shoulda done my research.... Oh well. Ordered on redwolf yesterday too late lol.

Anybody used a G&P hopup unit in an aug?

As said before, there's nothing wrong with the G&P units. I have three different uppers for my Sentry lower, and each of them has a G&P hop chamber.

One is set with a PDI W rubber and a regular nub, another with a Mabdull shark and H nub and a third one uses a Guarder clear with H nub. All uppers shoot as fine as I can, and with the exception of the last one, which is extremely sensible but godly accurate, all have excellent regulation possibilities.

I use tweezers to drop it in it's little hole.

My experience with G&P M4 hop units:

Best budget upgrade - Guarder clear bucking

Treat yourself upgrade - Madbull blue bucking

Win the lottery upgrade - Prommy Neo Strike hop unit, Prommy purple bucking, Prommy 6.03 TBB - can achieve stupendous ranges and accuracy on a 10.5" setup.

@screwdriver. Really? What gauge? Tried it with 18. Didn't work.

I just got my g&p unit for my aug. Pretty easy to install. Switched to a TM stock bucking, and I'm getting a scs nub in the mail. Got a 6.05 in it. Will test the range as soon as I get the nub. Unit itself is airtight. No bbs dropped when reloading

Archived