Most Reliable GBBR AK?

AG1212

I'm looking for a GBBR AK as the title says, it's basically between the WE and GHK AKs. Which is the most reliable? By reliable I mean magazines not leaking, bolt not being made of cheese, and the trigger group holding up longer than a WE M14. Another thing to consider is that I'd much prefer a non-westernised AK, I'd like to keep it pure for now in other words :)

Thanks a lot.

As a Daytonagun AK owner I can say that when used approprietly (ie. not too much or too little pressure) the AK will keep running as long as you have air in the tank. I played Berget 10 with my Gen2 AK and it jammed only once, after 2 days of play with no cleaning and filled with sand after a landing in dry sand near Janco(a village in the game area).

Well the only issues I have with the Daytonagun AK system is that, AFAIK, it doesn't stop firing on empty (part of the reason I'm going GBBR rather than, say, a TM recoil AK), and getting an air tank and maintaining it (getting it filled etc) would be an expensive and involved process for me. I'd love to be convinced otherwise, however.

Looks like the GHK is in the lead so far. I seem to recall older models didn't have the the bolt-stop feature, I assume Gen.2 has rectified this? And as far as I can remember it uses a LCT as a base? 

GHK post 2012 AK... I own two of them.. 

*I've linked these before on a diff thread, but it really shows why these are the best performing GBB AKs (or arguably best performing magazine tank GBBRs in terms of gas efficiency), with LCT steel external... it's an easy choice :P until someone jams a GHK internal into a Real Sword body, it's pretty much no contest

*the recoil ended up disabling the clone Eotech later on in that video... so keep that in mind.. :P

Wow, are those AKs stock? Less cool down than even my WE G39. 

How would I determine how new a GHK AK is? This is the one I want: http://www.law-airsoft.com/en/main/produit/id_produit/655#

They make sure it's functioning 100% (supposedly), and install a 1j nozzle as standard which I require by law. I do believe Khanseb got his WE AKS74u from them.

Does anyone know if it's a post 2012 model? Also, I assume ProWin mags are the way to go?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Does anyone know if it's a post 2012 model? Also, I assume ProWin mags are the way to go?

Thanks a lot everyone.

I actually don't have any experience with ProWin / 7.62 type magazine, I use 5.45 style magazines (which are 50 rounds), but they perform the same. As for how to know it's a 2012 model... I got my stuff directly from Samoon, which is more likely to be up to date than UK stocks (you can find places that are still selling gen 1 GHKs in some shops).

http://samoon.com.tw/ghk-aks-74u-2013

http://samoon.com.tw/ghk-gkm-1joule-bolt?filter_name=bolt

Which helps since they just put the year after every AK product, they also do a 1J bolt as shown above, so you can just ask them to put it all together for you, Samoon is very responsive, many times I've sent them emails asking general questions / parts compatibility.

As for whether the stuff in the videos above are stock, the Prowin one is upgraded with Prowin aluminium nozzle, I bought it but now in storage... didn't see the point and it was shooting too hot with that upgrade.. the gameplay video says something about "original factory", so I assume they are, but in terms of gas efficiency, my gun performed exactly as shown in the Prowin demo stock in cool down, except with a 50 rd mag instead than 64. 

All my friends who owned the GHK AKMs have sold theirs.

They work great for a while, certainly with the samoon parts installed, but over the course of a few thousand rounds the FPS drops from 360fps propane/400fps CO2 to 185fps/250fps.  I have replaced everything in the system from hop rubber, hop unit to blowback unit and the FPS is still low, even though recoil/cyclic rate is still as high as it was before the issue.

The other issue is GHK chronic magazine leakages.

Once my friends held my WE AK PMC with a GHK AKM wood kit (+ LCT gas tube), it was no contest.  AK PMC is at 3.8kgs while the GHK is a disappointing 2.9kg.  AK PMC kicks harder, much more powerful, more accurate, and louder.  Cyclic rate is slower than the GHK but the power is more consistent during rapid shots.  It does need mods to the trigger mech housing but thats about it, I have fired 3000 rounds on the same stock trigger set with no breakages.  Mags also don't leak.

Well, it's up to you now, you have someone who claims fundamental flaws in GHK AKs (which I haven't seen / known anyone to have the same issues), and switched to WE, and someone who's switched from WE to GHK (me) claiming faults to WE, I have 7 mags... no leak at all still, all my gen 1 WE mags leaked... although one thing that is indisputable is that WE AK's full bolt travel doesn't work in the cold at all, as can be seen in Khanseb's videos as well, my GHK AKs74u worked fine yesterday, at around 8 degrees. So... take what information there is out there and make up your mind. 

The thing is that the GHK issue is so bizarre we haven't figured out why as yet.

Both WE and GHK are not immune to design issues so its really a matter of taking out a pros and cons list and figuring out which ones you can put up with.

And there are different issues between the WE AK PMC vs AKS74UN so thats also something to be weary of.

For me the weight, accuracy, power output, and the familiarity with WE gas systems were the deciding factor in my choice.  IF I was not a gunsmith then I would've decided on the GHK as it was a no fuss option (for a while anyways).  But at 360fps on green gas and the fact that the floating valve is not easily accessible means that its too low here, plus the fact that its almost 1kg off the real weight was just disappointing.

If you get a GHK, DO NOT GET AN OLD MODEL!!! I have owned two and one of them crapped out on me and I sold he other before it could do the same. The gas and co2 mags leak in the old modes, and the internals are made out of crappy pot metal. However I heard a new person took charge of the company, and I have heard nothing but compliments in any of the 2012 models. If you want to get the newest model availbe then a sub-brand(?) called GHK Plus came out with a new AKS74, it's on ehobbyasia right now.

Archived